Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Jul 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2730345)   #1
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club racing at Stowe?

Anyone heard on the grapevine if there will be any cheap(er) club racing on the new Stowe circuit anytime in the future? I know before the work they used to host some events. Be nice if it was open for that again.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2732828)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that none of the major clubs are interested in running meetings there. They predict rubbish grids, and that wouldn't make money or keep their members happy.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2738077)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BARC-SEC used to run club events on the Stowe circuit as a result of being the club that ran the Silverstone Racing School races. As a result I don't think they had to pay for the hire of the circuit & could put on 2 or 3 club races in addition to the school races; it was a nice little earner for them and 3 x 10 minute races in a day for a £100 wasn'nt bad value for the clubman either.

The Silverstone Race School seems to have stopped doing their 5 day course & associated races now so the Circuit want a hire fee. This means that the entry fee has to go up to more "normal" levels & this puts clubs off.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2738655)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
CTCRC used to run our own very good value meetings there and may resume in the future.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2739789)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ran one of my first meetings at Stowe, I used to like the set up there, although I used to be based in the paddock area and it was a bit of a hike to race control. I'd like to go back there, but the cost v grid size needs to be looked at.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2743701)   #6
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
I believe that none of the major clubs are interested in running meetings there. They predict rubbish grids, and that wouldn't make money or keep their members happy.
part of the problem is where the circuit is, if it wasnt inside one of the best circuits there is it would be more popular, imagine going to lemans and racing around the car park!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2743980)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they can gt back to offering Practice & 3 x15 minute races in a day for £100-110 an entry then it will probably work, if they want to charge £200 for an entry it won't.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2743983)   #8
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
If they can gt back to offering Practice & 3 x15 minute races in a day for £100-110 an entry then it will probably work, if they want to charge £200 for an entry it won't.

i cant see it happening for £100, the only reason we could do it so cheap initally was because of the school, we provided the school with the means to do proper official racing i.e provided time keepers, marshalls, rescue, ambulance and officals in return for track time, as i understand it the school no longer do actual races,

without such cooperation we'd have to hire the track for real money plus associated costs so you can pretty much double the entry fee

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2744005)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Exactly, see my post #3. The track is not interesting enough (even in its revised format) to charge competitors a similar level to that charged for the National Circuit. I'd happily race there (I did before) but there would need to be a significant discount.

Perhaps they should have considered a 1/2 mile oval & got something different there?
Old 13 Aug 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2744040)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The old Stowe is/was much better than the National circuit. It may have looked a little mickey mouse on paper but there were some superb corners (that Tilke fella actually does know a thing or two).

I guess the hire fee should be Cadwell level, or less (although we competitors don't often see a reduction in entry fee aligned to a reduction in circuit hire fee - Club's always blame the costs of timekeepers, doctors, etc)? I'd still pay £150-ish for three short races at Stowe - but it was always the atmosphere/attitude which made it a nice place to place, rather than specifically the facilities/track layout.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2744085)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
The old Stowe is/was much better than the National circuit. It may have looked a little mickey mouse on paper but there were some superb corners (that Tilke fella actually does know a thing or two).
Did he design it? I actually thought it was John Watson.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2744108)   #12
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ooh, I might wrong... I'm sure someone told me he designed it years ago, and I've just perpetuated it!
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2744504)   #13
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was originally built for the John Watson racing school to use. The design was more down to the RAF, as it used a couple of the runways (the start/finish and "back" straight). I was flicking through the '95 Autosports last night, which is when it was first used. I'll have a trawl back through and see if I can find anything about the circuit. I do remember that some of the first races were Renault 5 Turbos, MG Metros and Mod Prods.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2744516)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was at the first ever race held at the circuit, we were sold a pup by the BARC when they held a round of our ModProd championship there, most disappointing.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2744519)   #15
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you mean, Al? The comic reports say that a few drivers stayed away, and some of the other guys weren't impressed, but general consensus seemed to be positive towards having a new clubbie venue.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2744522)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
This was years ago on the old layout, we were conned somewhat as we paid the regular entry fee and was told we were the first to race on it like it was something special but we were all disappointed with the size of the place and the general lack of facilities. You tell someone you are racing at Silverstone and end up there its not good. Needless to say we never went back! BTW I have no problem with what the Academy and CTCRC were doing there as that was damned good value for money I am talking about using it aas a full priced entry fee round in a championship.