Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:26 (Ref:322699)   #1
Aussiefan

Todt, not Toad.

While I understand that some people may have lost respect for Jean Todt, does that mean having to resort to childish name calling?

Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:57 (Ref:322734)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mr Aussiefan.

I can sympathise with this but I think perhaps you take things a bit too seriously. We have MS known variously as Mickey-the-shoe or TGF. Ralf is known by some as "Halfie". Somebody once referred to Rubens as Elmer Fudd, and now I see him referred to as "Barely Fellow".

DC was known as "Cubehead" but that seems to have dropped from favour. JPM is referred to as the "Great Juan" or TCF. I'm often referring to Williams as "Team Willy", McLaren as "Macaroon". So, whilst I suspect people have other names for F1 characters, the one's I've mentioned are those I see more of. I can't believe that these nicknames are meant to disguise anything hurtful. They are just a means of identifying the various people.

As to Jean Todt. Well, the English always refer to the French as "frogs" due to an historic xenophobic dislike of certain French cuisine (not one I share I hasten to add). Ergo, it is easy to associate Todt with "Toad".

I fully expect somebody to disagree with me but hey-ho its only my opinion.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:06 (Ref:322739)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter,

Some people think Ralf is useless too!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:13 (Ref:322745)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have a point there AussieFan, i used to refer Rubens as Poopens but a policeman in there cautioned me rather harshly. His reasons was that it serves as an example to others on name callings.

But then, if you want to impose something then make it official rather than picking on someone when all this while name callings have been like a regular thing in there.

Am i being childish? if i was, then i've stopped name callings
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:15 (Ref:322746)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Todt, not Toad.

Todt - Toad, there are worse ones out there...
I have heard Stephane Ratel (the FIA GT supremo) being referred to as "Ratbag".
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:28 (Ref:322753)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aussiefan, thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure that I'd necessarily want to legislate over that particular one - it is as Peter says, an obvious bit of xenophobic history - but I don't like it, and I won't use it.

And I do rather think that it says more about the people writing it than it does about Jean Todt himself.

I'd forgotten the Rubens Barrichello/Elmer Fudd comparison. Recollections if I recall correctly, of a routine involving "Be vewwy vewwy quiet - I'm hunting wascally McWarens..."
Old 27 Jun 2002, 10:35 (Ref:322795)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually Tiom, I believe RB gained that epithet after his "tears on the podium" episode. I couldn't possibly comment on why he got it. BUT IT WASN'T ME GUV"
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:13 (Ref:322835)   #8
Aussiefan

Ok, I know some people will tell me to 'lighten up' and all that and I'm not against nicknames, some are completely harmless, it's just that I find some names, which are used in pure spite and hate, go too far.

Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:17 (Ref:322841)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, you could always voice (state?) your displeasure to the person who uses the nickname.

Failing that you could ignore the offending post. I do that with certain posters but it goes back to when I was an official.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:31 (Ref:322857)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I don't use it in spite and hate - I just think it's funny as he's kind of toadish when you look at him. But if it really bothers you, I won't use it.

*shrug*
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:39 (Ref:322863)   #11
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was known as the Toad when he was at Peugeot and he is still known as the Toad, He will be known as the Toad for a long time to come.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:49 (Ref:322870)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todt of Todt Hall
Old 27 Jun 2002, 13:15 (Ref:322880)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
No one's mentioned Bernie Eccleslug either yet. I wonder why?
Old 27 Jun 2002, 14:07 (Ref:322886)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Isn't "Bernie" bad enough??
Old 27 Jun 2002, 14:23 (Ref:322891)   #15
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toad is fine & acceptable
Old 28 Jun 2002, 03:31 (Ref:323278)   #16
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, 'Toad' is actually his nickname. Everybody at Ferrari including TGF calls him 'Toad'... no big deal
Old 28 Jun 2002, 08:39 (Ref:323384)   #17
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Aussiefan fan would prefer an Aussie nickname, place an "ie" on the end of an existing name like:
Dickie = Dick Johnson
Brockie = Peter Brock

and now Toadie
Old 28 Jun 2002, 10:31 (Ref:323452)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is his accepted nickname, then I see no reason why we should have any problem with it either.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:14 (Ref:323479)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But is it accepted?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:21 (Ref:323482)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you start to limit it too much, you will have to get rid of all nicknames altogether. Schu or TGF is much quicker than writing Michael Schumacher each time!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:31 (Ref:323491)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I see, Toad is much quicker that Todt.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 18:30 (Ref:323836)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
...I used to refer Rubens as Poopens but a policeman in there cautioned me rather harshly. His reasons was that it serves as an example to others on name callings.
Whoever could that have been??????
Old 29 Jun 2002, 02:45 (Ref:324063)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Whoever could that have been??????
opps...sheriff not policeman, stupid of me
Old 29 Jun 2002, 16:28 (Ref:324262)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Toad, sorry Todt is also referred to as Napolian, would that be offensive?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 07:45 (Ref:324907)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He's also referred to as "Napoleon" which would possibly be less offensive.