Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Apr 2003, 10:29 (Ref:570952)   #1
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gronholm and Burns

Gronholm is simply better than Burns! Discuss...

How much more can Burns take of being Peugeot no.2??? I know Burns is leading the championship but Gronholm has proved to be much faster...

I still think Burns will be back at Subaru next year when Tommi retires. How will he fare against Solberg second time round? (I think Petter would be quicker now.)

Old 16 Apr 2003, 12:07 (Ref:571025)   #2
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Gronholm and Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I still think Burns will be back at Subaru next year when Tommi retires. How will he fare against Solberg second time round? (I think Petter would be quicker now.)
I agree on both counts. Unless he gets some wins quickly, Burns will be looking to leave Peugeot. I don't think consistent performances that keep him at the top of the Championship will help either. Burns needs to beat Gronholm fair and square on events to satisfy himself.

Subaru would be the obvoius move if Makinen retires, but looking at the relative performances of Solberg / Makinen I'm afraid Richard will find it tough there too.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 13:08 (Ref:571118)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gronholm is very very good. He seemed perfectly suited to the original 206 - which helped - and they probably built the evo around him. So in the 206 Gronholm is simply much better than Burns.

Burns has been perfectly honest (he usually is - unusual in any motorsport jock), his driving style isn't best suited to the characteristics and size of the 206. Either that changes over the season (a couple of wins would help!) or I guess he'll move.

I hope he comes back to Subaru, and I hope the boys at Prodrive can give him a competitive car...
Old 16 Apr 2003, 13:10 (Ref:571124)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see Burns staying at Pug after this season unless he gets a couple of wins
Old 16 Apr 2003, 21:29 (Ref:571554)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Subaru want Burns back?

Couldn't they get Rovenperra for less money?
Old 16 Apr 2003, 21:58 (Ref:571583)   #6
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Gronholm being the #1 driver for Peugeot, but the 206 might not be there longer since Provera will use the 307 either next year or two. I wonder why so far that there's no Marboro logo on those red cars this year.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 10:09 (Ref:571933)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Why would Subaru want Burns back?

Couldn't they get Rovenperra for less money?
I have seen Dave Lapworth (subaru chief person) state he would take back Burns. I also think Burns is better than Rovanpera over a season. Plus he is about 8 years younger. If Burnsie doesnt like the Pug he should leave. If he likes big cars why not the Mitsi!?
Old 17 Apr 2003, 11:10 (Ref:571977)   #8
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Potentially I see Burns as being as fast as Gronholm, if not faster. When the car is really working Burns has always been able to use his brilliant knowledge of the pace notes and stage conditions to produce a sublimely smooth, controlled performance that no-one else can live with. If you want evidence look at New Zealand last year and even Finland. What Burns lacks is stage-to-stage consistancy, for every stage he blitzes there are three he either messes up or simply loses "the feeling"....Gronholm can run every stage at 100%, Burns can't.

In time he could learn to do this, but I think as an all round "package" Gronholm is worryingly close to perfection. If Burns goes back to Subaru I reckon he's be very close to Solberg, but I'd love to see him and Martin in the Fords.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 12:18 (Ref:572034)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport mentions today that Burns is to get a test of the new 307 WRC "within the next 6 weeks". How good or bad this test goes will allegedly be the deciding factor on whether to stay at Peugeot or not for him.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:19 (Ref:578723)   #10
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think of the people who would kill for his Peugeot seat! And he's wasting a car that can easily win!