Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2004, 00:36 (Ref:836063)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Peter Sauber unhappy at rule change

from pitpass

Peter Sauber is the latest team boss to express his anger and frustration at the new rule which restricts drivers who have taken part in more than six Grand Prix in the previous two seasons from driving the third car on GP Fridays.

The rule was introduced in order to prevent the six teams that will run a third car from recruiting an experienced tester next season, and is understood to have been pushed forward by team bosses still smarting from the advantages gained by teams that took part in the Friday morning test sessions in 2003.

I have to say that imo, this is such a ridiculous ruling. The idea for friday testing for the "lower 6" is a good idea, hopefully allow for them to close the gap, which is what, i believe we all want to see, surely allowing an experienced tester would allow to help bridge that gap even more :confused:
Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:08 (Ref:836155)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've discussed this before. Its an imposition from the established front running teams to try to maintain their advantageover the lesser teams. They all have the money to run separate test and development teams with former stars or extremely capable and qualified test drivers but won't allow the lesser teams to maximise their Friday test sessions. Absolute BS.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:16 (Ref:836301)   #3
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it is a strange rule. You could argue that it introduced more new drivers to F1. But it's had the opposite effect of keeping the good ones out, e.g. Wilson.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:55 (Ref:836334)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new rule is a joke, if the teams choose to run the seesion on Friday morning they should be able to do so with the best person for the job & not be forced to do so with a rookie.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:47 (Ref:836370)   #5
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a stupid rule, a talented driver like Justin Wilson wont be able to get a testing role. and experienced drivers would do wonders for the smaller team.

it's just another case of the FIA meddling in the areas which dont really matter.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:50 (Ref:836373)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ditto, Smokey
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:25 (Ref:836696)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the positive side, it does allow new rookies to have a taste of F1, and let teams evaluate if there's a new star.

For a start, those teams that are eligible for the Friday testings are not barred from conducting their own tests other days with experienced drivers (am i right/wrong?), hence it's really silly if the teams complain that the "extra bit" of advantage they have isn't enough. It's a privilge, not an entitlement.

Furthermore, running rookies does bring monetary benefits for teams as usually teams would "sell" the seat to a rookie with local backings.

The bottom teams are just not contented, and while i do feel for them, it's better that they don't demand that much.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:46 (Ref:836725)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess here lies the difference, and makes me wonder even more why Jordan and Minardi (for example) bother with F1.

The incredible insecurity of the top F1 teams, means that whilst they already hold an 'unfair' advantage over the likes of Jordan/Minardi and Sauber in terms of budgets, resources and personnel, they don't want any possiblity of the small teams gaining an 'unfair' advantage over them, by getting an old hand in to test tyres on a Friday, possibly put them on a good footing for the weekend.

This all came about by Renault making very good use of the extra Friday testing, which they opted for despite great derision from RD in particular.

However, what use will Minardi and Jordan make of hiring a local rookie, who pays to run on a Friday. The whole point of testing is surely to improve the car, fine tune it for the weekend and gather as much data as possible, particularly tyre data. Surely those teams are in the racing business, not in the hire car/fairground ride business, bearing in mind that this is likely to be the only testing they do.

The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me:

1. Firstly the FIA coming up with such a ridiculous plan (no doubt under pressure from certain parties), whilst brushing other regs under the carpet - whatever happened to the TC ban BTW?

2. The top teams displaying such startling reasoning that they might potentially be unfairly disadvantaged, despite having up to 10 times the budget of the backmarkers, which gives them a huge advantage before a wheel is even turned.

3. That the small teams should swallow such a deal by it being wrapped up in glitzy paper - you can hire the 3rd car out and even run a different livery - which the top teams reckon is a suitable concession and gesture to 'help' Minardi and Jordan.

The whole thing is crazy, FIA over meddling coupled with a smattering of even more self interest from the top teams.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 13 Jan 2004 at 15:20.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 15:22 (Ref:836765)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's nothing to stop teams running a regular test driver (such as Davidson or Jani) for races where they can't find a local with extra backing, but wouldn't it be much better if they could run experienced drivers to help wtih testing at the circuit (which is where the real advantages are gained)
Old 13 Jan 2004, 15:44 (Ref:836801)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
There's nothing to stop teams running a regular test driver (such as Davidson or Jani) for races where they can't find a local with extra backing, but wouldn't it be much better if they could run experienced drivers to help wtih testing at the circuit (which is where the real advantages are gained)
Exactly, running a rookie is pointless. For Jordan and Minardi this will probably be their only testing, my point being that testing is about learning about the car/development, not supposed to be a 'new' revenue stream.

In the current climate they could pick up an experienced driver for either peanuts, who know's they may even bring a small budget to keep their face in F1.

The new rules are too restrictive, it's plainly ridiculous than even a driver like Wilson with only one GP season behind him, is 'over qualified' for the Friday test role.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 16:29 (Ref:836853)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if anyone wants to point the finger at the limited help provided for the small teams, it must be squarely at Ron. He seem to vocally object to any aid (which though i agree in theory that it's up to teams to survive, not through ccharity, but i feel sorry for the small teams) and the smaller team bosses such as Stoddart/Jordan seem to dislike Ron due to it.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 17:28 (Ref:836912)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
seriously i agree with ol Saubbie!! i mean testing is probably the only way that youngsters can break into f1 and to stop them from being part of a GP weekend.....
Old 13 Jan 2004, 18:39 (Ref:836961)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Well, if anyone wants to point the finger ...it must be squarely at Ron. He seem to vocally object to any aid (which though i agree in theory that it's up to teams to survive, not through ccharity...
The Social-Darwinian interpretation of survival of the fittest only makes sense until you realize that the compettion in which these teams engage is sport, not economics. Taken to its logical extreme, if the more successful temas drive the minnows out of F1 or even out of business, their own purpose, to compete against other teams becomes moot.

Were in the end only five teams left, how long would Ferrari, Mercedes, TOYOTA, BMW or Renault continue to pay for the privilege of finishing last?

All the teams are mutually interdependant and it is in the interests of the larger teams to win on a level playing field and not strangle their weaker opponents.

In addition, never have we seen such a glut of talented experienced drivers go begging for seats. With the troubles facing CART and now the very real possibility that McNish, Wilson, Heidfeld, Villeneuve, and Firmin are blocked out of any employment that will challenge their skills.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:24 (Ref:837402)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Yes, i agree. Hence, it is high time that teams like Williams and Mclaren do lend a helping hand to the smaller struggling teams in some ways. Toyota and Renault, given their huge budget, ought to..
Old 14 Jan 2004, 08:43 (Ref:837611)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Slightly OT but, I think this will be partly addressed by the outcome of the GPWC/FOM/SLEC agreement that will see more funds diverted to the teams.

Although the disparity will still be huge, it should enable the likes of Minardi and Jordan to have a working type budget from that income alone, so their sponsorship money can go on car development/testing and hopefully removing the need for pay drivers. If the 'cheap' engine deals eminate out of this deal as well, it will make them even more viable.

The performance gap will always be there, but the gap is (IMO) greater because those teams are effectively just surviving and not racing in the true sense of the word.

Jordan for example, had no budget to develop the 2003 car at all, hence it's backward slide as the season progressed.