Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1084993)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big shunt for Schumacher

From autosport.com

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher suffered a major accident in testing at Monza today when the left-rear tyre of his Ferrari blew out at the end of the start/finish straight. Schumacher hit the barriers with the front and rear of the car, but appears to be uninjured.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1085002)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Thankfully, he is unhurt. Is it just me, or does it seem like there have been an unusually high number of tyre blowups this year? Usually its the Michelins... but I guess Bridgestone also has these probs.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1085011)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From ITV F1:

Schumacher took a while to get out of the car and had to spend a few minutes composing himself by the side of the track before returning to the pits.

Sounds like a bad one.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:11 (Ref:1085019)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank god (and the safety rules) that a bad one these days means taking a few minutes to compose yourself.

A 200+ mph blowout at Monza is frightening stuff.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1085021)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is accidents like that that may get Schumi to thinking retirement. He has led a charmed life in F1 and we have heard before that his wife would prefer he retire sooner rather than later. Ralf's recent experience adds to the possibility. Just a thought.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1085025)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Thank god (and the safety rules) that a bad one these days means taking a few minutes to compose yourself.

A 200+ mph blowout at Monza is frightening stuff.
These are the two pertinent points in this thread. The safety progress over the last decade is impressive - although at times it's come at the cost of the racing. Tyre failures are avoidable though - is therea ny sugegstion that he'd hit debris, or was it a pure 'failure'? Presumably Bridgestone will already be analysing the evidence.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1085026)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt Schumacher will retire still (I know he won't) but this has got to get him thinking.

Glad he's OK, he's a lucky, lucky man to escape that one!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1085042)   #8
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Big shunt for Schumacher

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
From autosport.com

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher suffered a major accident in testing at Monza today when the left-rear tyre of his Ferrari blew out at the end of the start/finish straight. Schumacher hit the barriers with the front and rear of the car, but appears to be uninjured.

Fortunately he was not injured in this, but boy is his wife gonna be *............

This will be further fuel for FIA to want the cars slowed down (smaller engines anyone....)

[EDIT: Weak autocensor dodge /EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Sep 2004 at 19:48.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1085108)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
But cars going 220mph at Monza is nothing new, why all panic now?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1085112)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crashing at 220mph is different to "going 220mph".
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1085186)   #11
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SINGLE TYRE FORMULA
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1085198)   #12
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
SINGLE TYRE FORMULA

SOLID RUBBER SINGLE TYRE FORMULA!!!!!

Last edited by 006_007; 2 Sep 2004 at 20:38.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1085206)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was warning from the spirits: retire!

(no, not really)

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1085209)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excuse me. What's the excitement? Great he's thankfully escaped a big accident but.................... So what?

Don't mean to appear condescending or even Irreverent but please let's put some perspective on this.

Apparently (and I missed the race) a lot of guys escaped seriously high speed blow outs in Belgium? Or am I missing something?

His wife and family will be thinking twice?

He will now think of retirement?

Come on folks this is the real world. If he thinks of retirement because a tyre blew he wouldn't be world champ.

Must be a weak news day.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1085225)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'll bet it'll be on his mind at the moment though.

But then tomorrow he'll wake up without a care in the world (accompanied with sighs of derision from the wifey).
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1085263)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
SINGLE TYRE FORMULA
By the same argument we should have a single engine and chassis formula. Engine blows cause just as many spins and put oil over the track for others. Should all the teams have the same de-tuned engines? I don't think that this one accident has proven that F1 is too dangerous in one respect.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1085274)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What argument?

The only fatal accident believed to have been caused by a tyre failure was Williamson, almost 30 years ago - and that was in a time of far less tyre competition.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1085381)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mark Donohue was a tyre failure too, as I recall.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 00:13 (Ref:1085421)   #19
Eurosnob
Rookie

Eurosnob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blowout control/management system?

Has anyone considered, or is anyone aware of previous discussions or consideration of the tyre within tyre system like in the oval racing in the states, or even the emergency inserts (mules?) that I have been told are in WRC cars, or any other systems to give the drivers some kind of chance in the event of a blowout or puncture?

I don't know if the seppo's still use the dual tyre system; it was quite a few years ago that I last heard of it being used, but the rationale behind it seemed sound. The idea was that if the main carcass blows then the smaller (lower pressure) insert expands to becomes the main tyre and prevents the wheel rim from making contact with the track and attempts to prevent the car from running on two wheels like an assymetric motorcycle. It seems that they considered that some control was better than no control as was the case with Buttons Blowout causing the Minardi Mangle.

If some kind of blowout control system was instituted as a mandatory safety feature then there would be no absolute disadvantage and, I assume, an across the field performance penatly due to the, supposedly, greater mass of the wheel/tyre combo leading to potentially longer braking zones/slower corner speeds?

Eurosnob.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1085756)   #20
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, when they said side of the track I didnt think literally!
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31023
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1085787)   #21
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
What argument?

The only fatal accident believed to have been caused by a tyre failure was Williamson, almost 30 years ago - and that was in a time of far less tyre competition.

I know it's not F1, but didn't someone die testing an Audi R8 (last year I think) because of a tyre failure?
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1085797)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although he'd said he wont retire a dozen times, it's these kind of things that would change one's mind....
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1085834)   #23
Alpine Star
Rookie

Alpine Star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wishfull thinkin' Down F0rce?

Past events only proven that he was more determined to get back in the car again. But anything can happen. He could wake up one morning, spill his Orangejuice and decides that now is the time to quit while he is still ahead.

Personaly i don't believe that an accident is the trigger for that. 99% of the People who wreck their cars buy a new one and drive again. And the don't get credit, money or fame for doing so. They also sit in relativly unsafer cars with no medical help every mile or so...

I am not saying it can't happen, it is just very unlikely.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1085842)   #24
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its almost like people want him to retire! IMHO that would devalue F1, unless he does it as soon as he feels in his guts that its the right time, which I expect would only happen when he's being consistently challenged for supremacy and losing the edge, not because of an accident.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1085844)   #25
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I never said I wanted him to retire. I'm just saying that a 200MPH crash might make him think.