Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1175391)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams to hold definative shoot out for 2nd seat.

Williams have decided to hold a shoot out on Friday, between Heidfeld and Pizzonia, to decide who will drive alongside Webber in 2005.

Patrick Head told www.autosport.com

“What he (Heidfeld) did last week was pretty good and tomorrow (Friday) we will have Pizzonia in one car and Nick in the other. It's going to be a real shoot-out, but such is life. It's going to be very interesting.”

Williams last held a shoot out in 2000 between Button and Junquiera to decide who would complete their driver line.

It's likely that whoever loses the shoot out this time around will get some consolation as they will be named 3rd driver. There has been some speculation that Heidfeld has already agreed a contract of some sort making him 3rd driver at least, BMW making very positive comments about his performance so far.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 9 Dec 2004 at 16:24.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1175406)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . Pizzonia should win cause he knows the car much better . but i think Frank will not look only at laptimes

Ciao Marco
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1175454)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
well . Pizzonia should win cause he knows the car much better . but i think Frank will not look only at laptimes
I think Heidfeld as already done enough to secure his drive and he's BMW's favourite as well.By the way Dani you look absolutely stunning in the photograph.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1175460)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go Nick!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1175496)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
C'mon Nick...
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1175499)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.f1racing.net/en/testresults.php?testID=174

Today's times - Nick was right in Mark Webber's tail - more laps completed by him though.

On another note, DC comfortably head of the other Red Bull drivers.

Pos. Driver Team Time Laps
1 K. Räikkönen McLaren 01:16:677 97
2 J. Trulli Toyota 01:16:838 69
3 R. Schumacher Toyota 01:17:112 82
4 M. Webber Williams 01:17:521 72
5 N. Heidfeld Williams 01:17:570 126
6 F. Montagny Renault 01:17:728 150
7 G. Fisichella Renault 01:17:850 19
8 A. Wurz McLaren 01:17:893 80
9 D. Coulthard Red Bull 01:18:099 51
10 J. Button BAR 01:18:171 101
11 R. Barrichello Ferrari 01:18:523 66
12 C. Klien Red Bull 01:18:629 26
13 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 01:18:792 63
14 L. Badoer Ferrari 01:18:809 85
15 A. Davidson BAR 01:18:901 42
16 E. Bernoldi BAR 01:19:067 54
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1175505)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great stuff... only a few hundreths behind Mark.... Pizza will have to do something special to beat Nick in a straight shootout
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1175513)   #8
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
go Nick
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1175541)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Heidfeld Signed For Williams

As quoted in German newspaper Bild today, Nick Heidfeld has signed for Williams. Is he testing or driving?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1175546)   #10
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They both are too bad for Williams seat. More Jordan or Minardi type drivers.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1175547)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
As quoted in German newspaper Bild today, Nick Heidfeld has signed for Williams. Is he testing or driving?
We will have a clearer idea after the shoot out on friday...
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1175560)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, Nick has signed for Williams, but the team has yet to decide which one of he and Pizzonia will be racing and which testing. Hence the "shoot out".
Old 9 Dec 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1175576)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It will be good if Pizzonia gets the drive, I love to see drivers bickering, something we rarely see in F1 any more.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1175597)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ

If you look closely at what Nick did in the Jordan this year - he deserves a chance in a top car.

A great article by Mark Hughes just after Suzuka offers some insight into this.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1175632)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even without the article (which i agree KB, was excellent) it was blatantly obvious that what nick was doing was special. From round 1 to round 18 he invariably put his car where it didn't deserve to be.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1175809)   #16
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
If you look closely at what Nick did in the Jordan this year - he deserves a chance in a top car.

A great article by Mark Hughes just after Suzuka offers some insight into this.
KB any chance you may have a link to the article? I'm curious.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 04:58 (Ref:1175846)   #17
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,that sounds very interesting,it would be great if it's online and you could link us!
I have wanted to read more about nick's exploits this year but have heard only a few hints

I'm surprised that nick is now at williams-even if only the third driver.I wouldn't have thought jordan would let him go for such a minor role (or that williams would pay eddies asking fee jsut to have him as a tester)
But it looks very promissing for him now,looks like he has the measure of AP.

While never a nick fan i really do want to see him get a chance at a top car
Old 10 Dec 2004, 05:30 (Ref:1175855)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Thats pretty Simple - EJ did'nt have a choice!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1175999)   #19
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Why do u think Nick is a jordan or minardi driver.... He never had the chance to prove himself. Maybe Pizz is a Jordan or Minardi driver.... but not Nick.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1176022)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way Nick comfortably won the 1999 F3000 title shows that he's not someone who belongs in a midfield or backmarker team. 1999 F3000 was a very strong field - names like the late great Gonzalo Rodriguez and Jason Watt spring to mind. Nick deserves a chance with a top team, and I really hope he gets the drive. I think he will be able to give Webber a run for his money.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1176054)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Mark Hughes article was only in the print version of Autosport, sadly.

On the subject of him being released - he was only on a one year contract at Jordan, so Eddie couldn't stop him leaving.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1176062)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
actually was Nick that impressive at Jordan ????

if you look at from halfway in the year really he wasnt that much better than Pantano.

I dunno maybe its just me and my bias against Nick , but I wish him well in this "alledged" shoot out but Im hoping for Pizzonia to get the seat.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1176065)   #23
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Heidfeld makes it.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1176099)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got my fingers crossed. I've been a Heidfeld fan since watching him in the wretched Prost at Montreal in 2000. He is very gifted and never had the shot he deserved. Finally he's getting a chance to prove himself. Not to knock Pizzonia, but Nick's the superior choice I think and I'm confident he'll prove it today.

Heidfeld is a pretty good qualifier and his race pace is excellent. I suspect that if he gets the ride, that Webber will be pushed hard.

BTW, I wonder if HHF has been in contact with Heidfeld offering any insight about Williams vis a vis what not to do?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1176120)   #25
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Heidfeld gets it too.

I do think that Pizzonia was badly treated at Jaguar, but I've just got a feeling about Nick. I remember seeeing him in F3000, where he was already showing some pretty impressive form. There were times this year when Pantano got close, but overall Heidfeld was quite a margin ahead of him. His apparent consistant fast pace over a race will also appeal to Williams I should think. I also feel sorry for Nick being overlooked by McLaren in favour of Kimi (who is undoubtedly a talent) and it would be good to see them racing against each other at the front.

Webber already at Williams, Fisi already at Renault, and Nick possibly at Williams - it's beginning to look like team managers are putting the right drivers in their (top) cars!!