Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1328734)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is the Indianapolis circuit a good one?

Some conflicting views on this question have emerged in the TV times thread, and I think it deserves its own debate. Is the infield section challenging, or too fiddly? Does the banked section add anything beyond danger? Was the choice of circuit driven by political factors and an attempt at getting an easy crowd, rather than trying to make a genuinely great addition to the F1 calender? Or is it a unique challenge, and is it coincidence that the races tend to be so exciting and unpredictable?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1328738)   #2
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rather see them race on the lovely Road America or Sebring. I think some parts of the infield are way to slow for F1 and it is all flat, so its a bit boring imho.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1328739)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd say the banking section is thoroughly class and should be maintained.

The infield is kinda fiddly, but that is what it is there for: I would say that double hairpin bit just before the bank is really very pointless. Beyond that, the rest of iti s not too much of an issue.

I'm sure the whole Indy 500 thing would have been a factor in the location of the Gp.

I would say the seemingly decent chance of rain would add to the chances of unpredictability, but asnother significant aspect is the the run to the first corner always seems to provide pretty good overtaking opportunites.

I will perhaps answer in more detail in the future, when I have a bit more time on my hands.

Road America would be very cool. NEVER going to happen.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1328778)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really love having the USGP be at Indy for several reasons.

While I readily admit, the track has had to make some serious compromises to fit within the oval, the design somehow really works, and offers some good challenges, with plenty of opportunities to pass. The track is very wide all the way around, something that many of the older tracks can't match, which I think helps promote the numerous passing attempts we see there every year. The bank turn is unique in F1, and the long straight, while maybe not challenging to the driver, makes a great visual expierience for the spectator. Also watching them coming hard and fast down the long straight, and brake impossibly hard for turn 1, and then accelerate with awe inspiring speed into the infield is also a great visual for the fan.

Also, I have to say that nothing in my expierience can match the breathtaking size of the place. It simply dwarfs any other track I've ever been to, and the history of the place cannot be matched. It's a good central location, in a decent sized nice city, with good entertainment, and race history, that folks from both coasts can come to. I'd like to see the race stay there. The USGP has been moved to many times, and that hasn't helped build an audience

Unfortunately, many of the great North American road courses are in the middle of nowhere, and thats not where Bernie wants F1. He wants visibility, which I think Indy gives him...

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1328781)   #5
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Amercia would be unbelievable but won't happen. These cars on a real race circuit in North America would be really special.

The oval section is fun to watch the cars fly on to the front straight and blast down into the first turn. It was really neat when they could draft in qualifying.

The infield section is a bit mickey mouse though. No elevation change as well.

For spectators though it is a great place to watch a race with lots of room for passing.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1328832)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Indy was chosen because it's the biggest motor racing landmark in the entire country. Yes, Road America is the greatest road course in America but does Joe Public know where it is? Nope. F1 needed to jump back into the States and be instantly recognisable, I think they achieved that.

The course itself isn't anything special but it somehow manages to throw up more than enough good entertaining races, plus seeing F1 cars flat out around the banking is still special. I consider Turn 1 to be one of the best corners on the calender.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1328844)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The track is one of the more uninspiring and boring pieces of architecture in modern times.

But I love the banking and the long front straight!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1328846)   #8
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring?? Could F1 cars actually finish a race there? Just from watching the 12 hours ALMS races there, it just seems way too bumpy and such, seems like it would tear apart those carbon fiber suspensions... If they could do it there though, I would go for sure!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1328851)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right, Sebring would need a resurfacing before F1 could ever run there. Newman/Haas ran a ChampCar on the full course earlier this year to see it was possible to stage a race, I'm not sure what they decided.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1328852)   #10
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't like it much, tbh.
I think the infield is fiddly, especially the second half.

The banking looks good, and does give overtaking chances, - seems like you need a massive straight followed by a slow cnr to manufacture them these days (still thinking of senna/prost video...).

I think it's predominately there for the reasons in above posts, rather than because it's a good track.

About the only thing that it has of interest to me is the downforce choice - low and struggle infield, or high and make up what you lost on the straight there.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1328856)   #11
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't pass in corners.....
Old 15 Jun 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1328870)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I really love having the USGP be at Indy for several reasons.

While I readily admit, the track has had to make some serious compromises to fit within the oval, the design somehow really works, and offers some good challenges, with plenty of opportunities to pass. The track is very wide all the way around, something that many of the older tracks can't match, which I think helps promote the numerous passing attempts we see there every year. The bank turn is unique in F1, and the long straight, while maybe not challenging to the driver, makes a great visual expierience for the spectator. Also watching them coming hard and fast down the long straight, and brake impossibly hard for turn 1, and then accelerate with awe inspiring speed into the infield is also a great visual for the fan.

Also, I have to say that nothing in my expierience can match the breathtaking size of the place. It simply dwarfs any other track I've ever been to, and the history of the place cannot be matched. It's a good central location, in a decent sized nice city, with good entertainment, and race history, that folks from both coasts can come to. I'd like to see the race stay there. The USGP has been moved to many times, and that hasn't helped build an audience

Unfortunately, many of the great North American road courses are in the middle of nowhere, and thats not where Bernie wants F1. He wants visibility, which I think Indy gives him...

Well I think you put it really well GP Racer and for the most part I agree with you. INDY is so famous, and I am sure it feel's very special when you are there in person (Pure magic) The infield for me is a little insipid but it must be fantastic to see and hear F1 cars coming down the straight. It's a hard one F1 in the USA period, for some reason this country does not graviate to it like the rest of the world seem's too. I am sure that Bernie and the FIA thought about every venue for a race. Personaly I love Watkins Glen myself not that I have ever been there, but just from what I have seen on TV.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 00:41 (Ref:1328873)   #13
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could they race Laguna Seca? I'd love to see F1 cars running the corkscrew!
Old 15 Jun 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1328884)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Could they race Laguna Seca? I'd love to see F1 cars running the corkscrew!
That is not a bad idea
Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1328896)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In large part, Indianopolis is a special place because of its history. From a racing standpoint, it has provided some good races in the past. For the drivers it is probably not so interesting to drive, but special due to the atmosphere. It offers an interesting challenge to the engineers, as a compromise is needed in the setup. All in all, could be worse.

Most if not all permanent road circuits in the U.S. need a lot of improvement in the areas of safety and infrastructure to attract Formula 1.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:59 (Ref:1328907)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as anyone from around here knows, the true test for any racing machine is Nelson Ledges in Warren, Ohio. 100 miles from Pittsburgh and 70 miles from Cleveland the location screams of convenience. Of course, the serene charm of Youngstown Ohio awaits those who like a little "edge" to their night-time forays.

Yes sirreee I would love to see JPM and Schumi Lite nose-to-tail coming into Oak Tree (Turn 4 - a banked left-hander) and watch Schumi Lite get brake-checked onto the Short Course. Then a quick swoop through the infamous right-hand assortment of turns known as the "Carousel" noted for the former pothole and the ugly tendency for groundhogs and/or beavers to dart across the back straight near abouts "the Kink." Swerving to avoid same has caused problems in an area of the track where more than one driver has ended up in the conveniently placed swamp (recently drained-they found a motorcycle in there from a long-ago 24 hour bike race)) Ahhh! to see the MidJorLLaras and the Radical New Minardis braking for the turn 12/13 complex at the end of the longest straight with 13 being the slowest corner: a 180 degree (sort of) somewhat banked right-hander that leads onto the front straight. Seeing the Minardis and Midland whatsits darting about under braking would be sheer joy - and of course, seeing Sato darting about on the front straight at the start where the very same bridge abutment PL Newman hit with his Datsun 510 on the start in the 1978 Cumberland Nationals is waiting to gobble up yet another ambitious, well-financed driver.

Oh, yeah - Indy is the obvious choice if Nelson Ledges won't do.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1328908)   #17
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is somthing special about Indy for sure, history and driving through that canyon of stands, but having said that, track itself is boring.

I wish somebody would come forward and make Sebring an FIA track, or build a one in Vegas. Not necessarily as a replacement, but an addition.
I purposely don`t include any more midwest locations because of Indy.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 02:16 (Ref:1328912)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm glad that F1 has a place in Indy. Indy holds special meaning and has a special atmosphere.

However, take away the atmosphere, the history, and what we have would be just another mickey-mouse circuit. I love the banking and extremely long straight. I simply dislike the very tight right left sequence which i think is pointless and awful.

But somehow, sometimes..it works for overtaking...so can't complain too muchl. Still, would be nice if somebody give the infield track a re-design.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1328935)   #19
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
I suppose the question to ask is, which current American tracks are F1 grade?

I'm guessing the ovals with infields like Daytona and Homestead would be up to standard, but who else?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 05:35 (Ref:1328963)   #20
LongJohnSilver
Rookie

LongJohnSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring would be wonderful (although Im a bit biased as a four hour drive would be much better than flying to Indy like I will do Thursday morning WOOHOO), but I dont think it is up to F1 standards. It is way too bumpy, and there is really no seating for fans (unless they take them down for the 12hours). Plus in its full configuration it is probably a bit long since F1 seems to stay under aroudn 1:30 a lap. And it is also pretty far away from any major metro areas.

Laguna Seca has been having trouble drawing a crowd for champ car and thus may have the same trouble with F1. Champ Car wont be returning there this year, instead going to San Jose California. A1GP will be going there next spring which could show us if it can support super high powered open wheel cars.

I dont know much about Road America, but it is a lot of fun to drive on Forza Motorsport on XBOX .

This will be my first year heading to Indy, so I will have a better perspective on the race after Sunday. Im sitting at just past turn 1 so I should have a good view of the braking zone and the first few corners of the infield. Should be a grand time!!!
Old 15 Jun 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1329023)   #21
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Infield has been called the micky mouse section before.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1329037)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Personaly I love Watkins Glen myself not that I have ever been there, but just from what I have seen on TV.
As do I, which is why I really look forward to the IndyCar race there later this year
Old 15 Jun 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1329065)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's not really much mroe they cna do with the infield section, being in such limited space. The final section of the course produces so much action and overtaking that you can't really complain, but any second US visist would ideally take a classic circuit adn modernise its facilities to suit F1 (and I think 2 US visits would be good for the championship - increasingly this is a big market for open-wheel racing again, and the USGP produces huge crowds which, contrary to my expectations, have recovered from the 2002 Ferrari farce).
Old 15 Jun 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1329131)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The Glen has space issues which will prevent it from being pulled up to FIA/F1 standards. I am not as familiar with Road America from that standpoint but it would likely require cubic dollars just from a safety standpoint. What is definitely missing is the outlandishly lavish "garage" areas and hospitality mansions that the new tracks have in spades. Indy has much of this and I really do not see any other tracks here that can provide it and be able to race there.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1329145)   #25
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it's pretty average. Road America is the Spa/Monza of the US.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport