Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1602510)   #1
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid 2-gp engine rule!!!

Nothing new, I know, but if you look at Alonso's statement at f1.com you can see that he said that when MS passed him after the second stop, he just turned down his engine to look after it for Barcelona. Obviously we all knew that, but WHEN will those $#@%#@ at the FIA's office FINALLY understand that with this RIDICULOUS rule they're destroying exactly what they're trying to fix by all kinds of other ridiculous rules!! No one tries to overtake before the pit stops, because he's waiting for the pit stops. And then after them, nobody overtakes to save their engine! This is insane!!
Old 7 May 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1602514)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the engine had been designed to only last one race then when he realised he'd lost out to Michael then he would have just turned down his engine to look after it for the end of the race.
Old 7 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1602517)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As much as I despise these endurance regs, Alonso could not have matched Michael's pace today so backing off was only sensible. And that applies no matter what the regulations.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1602524)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's hope then, that he uses what he saved to beat TGF next race, so he can make his point valid, and start a new trend in the races: "saving the best for the next".

I heard that somewhere...
Old 7 May 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1602529)   #5
Albux
Rookie

Italy
St Julian's, Malta
Albux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

maybe today wasn't the right example as FA couldn't match MS pace, but there is a lot of truth in menelaos rant.

IMHO i find ridiculous that the pinnacle of speed that should be F1 is becoming more and more and endurance race.

some ideas (I'm sure that they have already been expressed extensively in the forum...)

- one weekend engine with the ability to map it differently from qual to race. Too much power and the engine goes 'boom' ? 10 places back on the grid...
- Free fuel qualifying, the idea of the knock out sessions is nice and interesting, but why not just have 4 identical sessions with the 5 slowest drivers goin' out at the end of each? Why have the 10 fastest guys just cruisin' around burning fuel for 10 or more minutes, when in fact they should just keep on going faster and faster as only the 'big guns' remain on track?
- No refuelling! start with a full tank and overtake on track!
- Free tyre changes during the GP. Only 1 person per wheel to perform the change.
- slick tyres
- no traction control!!!!!!
- more points for a win.
- 1 or 2 points for pole
- 1 point for fastest lap during race
- forced modifications in aerodynamics to have less turbulence behind the car

What do you think?

Last edited by Albux; 7 May 2006 at 17:22.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1602534)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
What we need is a stupid 17 race engine rule.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1602549)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AdamAshmore: yes probably, but he would be willing to risk a little more.

Knowlesy, bononi, yes I agree. And as I said, it's not even news, it just made me feel weird reading it. I mean, how many times have we heard Alonso, Raikkonen or anyone really saying that I settled for 2nd to save the engine for the next race. Regardless of whether it's an excuse or reality, still it sucks having to sacrifice part of a race to make sure you keep your engine for the next one...
Old 7 May 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1602572)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Radio-Throttle position 4,mixture position 6,diff........Who the hell are supposed to be driving these cars anyway! These radios just have got to go! And have pitboards with no more imformation other than when to pit! Rant over.
Old 7 May 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1602603)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
These are all things that make the better drivers better. Only the best can alter aspects of their car and continue to drive it as fast as it goes. Bring it on it is interesting and adds to it. It has also been around for a long time too.
Old 7 May 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1602629)   #10
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albux
- No refuelling! start with a full tank and overtake on track!
- Free tyre changes during the GP. Only 1 person per wheel to perform the change.

What do you think?
I think these 2 contradict themselves. if you're going to pit for tyres anyway, might just as well add fuel.
heavier fuel loads make the car harder to handle, so overtaking would be tricky if you put in the first rule
Old 7 May 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1602643)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Using roughly half as many ultra-expensive engines which bear no resemblence to the road cars the companies are supposedly trying to sell strikes me as a good thing. I still think the 10-place penalty is too draconian however - my idea would be 2 points off the Constructors' score automatically, and 2 points off anything the driver scores in that race.
Old 7 May 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1602648)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And that isn't draconian at all.
Old 7 May 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1602665)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
If the engine had been designed to only last one race then when he realised he'd lost out to Michael then he would have just turned down his engine to look after it for the end of the race.
Adam.... The point is that the driver should not have to worry about preserving his flipping engine..it's a race, they should be able to drive on the limit, *their limit* not one designed by the FIA or anybody else..
Old 7 May 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1602667)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd prefer points penalties.
Old 7 May 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1602670)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
These are all things that make the better drivers better. Only the best can alter aspects of their car and continue to drive it as fast as it goes. Bring it on it is interesting and adds to it. It has also been around for a long time too.
Yes,but let the bloody driver make the decision!