Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Mar 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1875381)   #1
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying - Advantages/Disadvantages?

With the new qualifying system being shown on 7 yesterday, I noted that the first 3 cars on the road were Toll/HRT cars for the first session. Coming over the hill into the final corner, there was a decent gap between the first 3 cars, and then the usual train of cars from 4th onward.

Now this was the OUT lap where I guess drivers are looking to warm up etc, but it looked to me as if the 3rd car in the line could have been holding back to give the first 2 cars a comfortable gap to set some good early times.

Conspiracy you say? Well maybe not but it did look suspect to me.

So the question is, What is the rule for the opening lap for qualifying? Is there passing before the stripe or a pseudo "yellow flag" for the Out Lap?

If this is the case, would teams be better served waiting for the bulk of the field to leave pit lane before venturing out, or would they be better served to get out quickly and employ some "team tactics"?

Last edited by Micklegend; 25 Mar 2007 at 00:59.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 02:04 (Ref:1875431)   #2
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend
With the new qualifying system being shown on 7 yesterday, I noted that the first 3 cars on the road were Toll/HRT cars for the first session. Coming over the hill into the final corner, there was a decent gap between the first 3 cars, and then the usual train of cars from 4th onward.

Now this was the OUT lap where I guess drivers are looking to warm up etc, but it looked to me as if the 3rd car in the line could have been holding back to give the first 2 cars a comfortable gap to set some good early times.

Conspiracy you say? Well maybe not but it did look suspect to me.

So the question is, What is the rule for the opening lap for qualifying? Is there passing before the stripe or a pseudo "yellow flag" for the Out Lap?

If this is the case, would teams be better served waiting for the bulk of the field to leave pit lane before venturing out, or would they be better served to get out quickly and employ some "team tactics"?
Team Managers at HRT/Toll are race-craft smart and savvy.

Rat cunning developed over years and years of motor racing.

Mike
Old 25 Mar 2007, 02:37 (Ref:1875439)   #3
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if you had 4 cars would you do it any differently?

Looks like they just need some time to figure it out. Most cars seemed to be back in the pits after the first 8 minutes leaving plenty of open track. Of course the sub 60 second lap and tire sensitivity contributed to that. The decent teams / drivers only need on lap in the first segment.

NZ will be fun.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1877479)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
while im not into the conspiracy theory. i will say this

HSV are in pit one and as a result have the right to be first one out of the pits, surely over time that gives some advantage.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 10:39 (Ref:1877512)   #5
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
while im not into the conspiracy theory. i will say this

HSV are in pit one and as a result have the right to be first one out of the pits, surely over time that gives some advantage.
Itd be stupid to penalise the champions from last year wouldn't it?

Its the same in every form of motorsport, the raining champs get the better positioned pit bays etc.