Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Aug 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1985653)   #1
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracks you would like to see NASCAR race at

Having watched the Busch series from Montreal and being impressed by the close (in some cases too close) racing i was wondering what tracks you would like to see nascar at.

NASCAR would be good at:
Norisring
Brands Hatch GP
Rockingham
Lausitzring
Oulton Park (sans chicanes)
Bahrain (Aussie v8 track)
AVUS

Last edited by johntt; 10 Aug 2007 at 17:43.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 10 Aug 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1985664)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America

Virginia International Raceway

Rockingham UK would be good too as you said.

Another 1/2 mile oval would be nice too.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Aug 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1985681)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nordschleife (no 43 car limit, combined Cup and Busch grid )
Bathurst
Norisring
Spa
Le Mans (24 hour track)
Old 10 Aug 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1985739)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see Cup race at Gateway, Milwaukee, Nashville, Laguna Seca and resurrect Nazareth.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1985781)   #5
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I'd like to see Cup race at Gateway, Milwaukee, Nashville, Laguna Seca and resurrect Nazareth.
Amen, brother. Amen.

Umm, I'd love to see NASCAR at Road Atlanta or Sebring. Maybe the old ALMS circuit at RFK Stadium if it was possible.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 04:26 (Ref:1985899)   #6
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Road America
Laguna Seca
Mount Panorama
Monaco (just to see if ANYBODY could finish)
Old 11 Aug 2007, 04:50 (Ref:1985905)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Part of me would love to see Monaco as the green laps would be interesting, but 99% of the race would be under yellows. I would end up wanting to kill myself.

A few of the ones I would mention have already been mentioned, thus I will just add a few (well, BH may be a repeat).

Brands Hatch (whichever version BTTC ran in the mid-to-late-90s)
Interlagos
Monza
Mosport
Mt. Tremblant
Suzuka
Thruxton
Turkey (the Tilke one)

If I could have the power to wave a wand that made one of these happen, then it would Mt. Tremblant (running the "proper" first turn).

Last edited by Dutton; 11 Aug 2007 at 04:54.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1985939)   #8
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pikes Peak! With the spotters navigating.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 07:51 (Ref:1985953)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Brands Hatch (whichever version BTTC ran in the mid-to-late-90s)
Interlagos
Monza
Mosport
Mt. Tremblant
Suzuka
Thruxton
Turkey (the Tilke one)
Brands - Indy Circuit 1.2miles
Monza - the old original circuit with the banking??

I'd still love to see them over here at Rockingham, Eurospeedway, Spa, and Brands on the GP loop.

Also - Silverstone - to show the BRDC that they need to build that 1/2mile oval!! NOW!!!
Old 11 Aug 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1985966)   #10
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca
Bathurst
Monaco (nice thought deeks6)
Hampton Downs
Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1986032)   #11
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nascar's have run at Bathurst (Mt Panarama) before, but not the American Series
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1986134)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coln72
Nascar's have run at Bathurst (Mt Panarama) before, but not the American Series
AUSCAR?
Old 11 Aug 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1986168)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Is this a 'day dreaming' topic or a 'would like to see' topic? Of course there is next to no chance of Nascar visiting Monaco, Pikes Peak or Nordschleife (what the hell?!!) but Road America or Laguna Seca could happen, no matter how unlikely.

Personally I'd like to see an even greater mix of track styles. That's what made CART great back when it was great. How about adding Long Beach or Las Vegas for a street circuit, a couple more road courses would be nice, another 1/2 mile track would be great, as suggested, and how about a return to the roots and a dirt track or two?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1986626)   #14
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
NeckCAR at its roots will never be a balanced Championship as they love their "ovals" too much to turn both directions very often.

Road America is a track that deserves to be on the schedule and IMHO should be added and one of the cookie-cutter 1.5-2.0 ovals deleted from the schedule.

Rumor has it that Brian France wants to take the series internationally, specifically Western Europe.

So basically think of road courses that could be simplified for the likes of the Micheal Waltrips of the world.

Tracks like the Lausitzring would be automatic considerations for Cup in Europe, DUH.

But effectively you could drop 2-3 races from the current Cup schedule and add Lausitzring, Brands Hatch and maybe current Nurburgring using th DTM version of the circuit.

All 3 track would provide some INTERESTING racing and special guess drivers from mostly sportscar racing background. It would be interesting, I'm sure some Cup drivers would like to take a flying lap in a DTM car around any of these places....

Maybe the next iteration of the COT will actually be something of a leap forward, not the tiny step forward for Stock Car Racing that the current COT is...

I mean who uses Carbs, Live Axle Rear Ends and steel racing wheels????
Old 12 Aug 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1986631)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No street courses thanks (sorry Craig!).

Road America and Montreal would be my additions.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 12 Aug 2007 at 13:44.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1986669)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
current Nurburgring using th DTM version of the circuit
oh nooooo, think of the wreckage at turn one, they would have to use the shortcut thats cuts out the stadium section.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1986677)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
North Wilkesboro!

or perhaps Mallory Park

A street circuit!
Old 12 Aug 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1986761)   #18
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Some good ideas. Mallory would be good for SCSA (the series formerly known as ASCAR). I think they may have even run there before now.

Monza without the first chicane would be good, noise regs could be a problem.

The Silverstone national circuit would be great for NASCAR. They could build an american style pits on the back straight between maggots and brooklands. There isn't enough room for 43 cars in the regular pits.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Aug 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1986890)   #19
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
But effectively you could drop 2-3 races from the current Cup schedule and add Lausitzring, Brands Hatch and maybe current Nurburgring using th DTM version of the circuit.
I hope you also mean for them to completely bypass the Mercedes Arena section. Because Turn 1 on a rolling start would be absolute chaos for stock cars.

Quote:
I mean who uses Carbs, Live Axle Rear Ends and steel racing wheels????
My neighbor's grandmother?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1986993)   #20
johntt
Veteran

England
England
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Europ...ing-spnma.html

You mean this track? - the only modification needed would be to use the quicker version of the NGK Schikane.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1987005)   #21
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Europ...ing-spnma.html

You mean this track? - the only modification needed would be to use the quicker version of the NGK Schikane.
Well, I think NASCAR will be able to survive the GP Circuit instead of the sprint, just as long as they don't use the Mercedes Arena and they use the Motorcycle variant of the NGK Schikane.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1987113)   #22
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
North Wilkesboro!
I was thinking that myself.

It'll cost about $12M to buy the shares in the circuit to get it open again, then you need to buy a date to run it.....

Here we are screaming for another decent oval over here in the UK, and they buy 'em and shut 'em to steal their dates in the calendar in the 'States.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1987205)   #23
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhead1
I hope you also mean for them to completely bypass the Mercedes Arena section. Because Turn 1 on a rolling start would be absolute chaos for stock cars.

My neighbor's grandmother?
My grandparents last new car purchase was in 1975...

They are very dead now, all of them.

That's how "new" the "technology" in NASCAR is and to call the COT what is makes me smile and shake my head.

Back on topic -

Nürburgring Sprint Circuit would be perfect and yes if you use the GP circuit, hmmm you would see people wheel-hopping off into the kitty litter or make the JPM, Harvick, Truex wreck look like kids playing with Hot Wheels compared to the kind of carnage that would happen. But you know for Brend Schneider or Hans Stuck to jump into a stock car and win would be quite INTERESTING.

Local knowledge goes a looong way and screw experimental races, if your going to run these races over there, just set a date and do it.

As many would agree, NASCAR would be BETTER and not WORST with 2 or even 3 more Road Courses and today's event was pretty good if you got a bit more green running. The last couple of cautions messed up Fellows and R. Gordon's chances at winning as I'm positive 5 out of the 7 Top 10 finishers would have RAN out of gas at the end.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 02:14 (Ref:1987214)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
-Lime Rock.
It's close to me, and, the Busch North/East races on it, puts on a great show.

-Gateway(Infield Road Course).
I've always liked this infield course, and, it lends to some good racing.

-Suzuka(East Variant).
DO IT AGAIN.

-Hockenheim(Short Course).
I like the course, personal opinion.

That's all for now.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1987682)   #25
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Good choice with Lime rock, didn't think of that one myself.

Motegi would be good in Japan, the Nextel Cup shouild go there as well as doing Mexico City and Montreal now that Busch has been there.

The Silverstone GP track with the corners they use for the Classic (the faster Club and Abbey) would be a great track as well.