Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should F1 cars compete on an oval?
yes 23 41.82%
No 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Jun 2001, 08:41 (Ref:100359)   #51
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd like to see f1 cars on an oval, but arent all corners supposed to be 2nd or 3rd gear corners on an f1 circuit?

i say bring on the ovals, undo all of the track changes of the past 7 years, you can make them safer...now that would make the sport 10 times more popular...dont forget about rockingham - an oval circuit in england alright for bernie, near him - ITS PERFECT!!!
Old 3 Jun 2001, 09:01 (Ref:100365)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How this thread come back ?

No to F1 ovals.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:09 (Ref:100407)   #53
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the general idea is that everyone likes different kinds of racing, that this is not a reflection on your intelligence or lack thereof, just on differing tastes, and that people who like oval racing would like to see F1 on ovals and people who don't like oval racing would rather they stuck to road courses.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I'd like to see Alesi on an oval, as I think he'd beat most of the "gentleman racers" such as DC, but I think it's something beyond the reach of most of today's F1 pilots with a few exceptions who have already proved they can do it.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:01 (Ref:100584)   #54
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
RT,
You have obviously never watched Nascar for you to call it boring.

I find some of your comments to be extremely offencive. Nascar fans are "unsophisticated"?, I'm sorry, but do you happen to know all the thousands of Nascar fans that exist in the USA(and around the world)?, if so, I find that very interesting indeed. As for "pathetic outburts of emotions" when someone died", well I'm so sorry, I had no idea that when someone who was close and dear to the hearts of tons and tons of racing fans is really not that emportant and nobody should really care he he died. When Senna died, would you clasify everybody who was upset over the accident as having "pathetic outbursts of emotions"?.
Raoul:

Just a couple (well, actually three) points.

First, I have watched NASCAR and actually watched Dale Earnhart's accident on TV, so I have an idea of the NASCAR culture.

Second, I'm not intending to offend anyone but sometimes you do have to be forceful in your opinions. The degree of sophistication of racing in ovals cannot even begin to approach the amount of strategy, technical development and the nuances of the layout of F-1 tracks that the F1 fan needs to understand.

Last, I hate watching people die in ovals or anywhere else for that matter. What I find pathetic is the overall emotionalism (even if fully justified) that doesn't go beyond the feelings and truly gets to the roots of the problem after someone dies. Ovals are inherently unsafe compared to F1. Just look at the recent history.

F1 did change after Senna died. I do not want to see F1 drivers suffer from the lack of safety of ovals. I'd like to see a strong movement to adress the lack of safety of ovals. So far I see little evidence of that.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:10 (Ref:100591)   #55
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT....a couple changes that are in the process of occuring.

A) NASCAR is testing the "Humpy Bumper", which, if works, massively dissapates the forces that occur in a head-on collision.

B) Also looking into using other ways besides restrictor plates to curb speeds.

Also, you have to realize that many of the changes will end up occuring for next season, as you really cannot drastically alter a formula mid-season.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:14 (Ref:100592)   #56
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes RT,

F1 can find more interestings solutions than an unsafe oval circuit.

And as we're seeing this year, the races are having always some kind of excitement. This season is not boring as the previous ones.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 22:23 (Ref:101211)   #57
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RT

Raoul:

Just a couple (well, actually three) points.

First, I have watched NASCAR and actually watched Dale Earnhart's accident on TV, so I have an idea of the NASCAR culture.

Second, I'm not intending to offend anyone but sometimes you do have to be forceful in your opinions. The degree of sophistication of racing in ovals cannot even begin to approach the amount of strategy, technical development and the nuances of the layout of F-1 tracks that the F1 fan needs to understand.

Last, I hate watching people die in ovals or anywhere else for that matter. What I find pathetic is the overall emotionalism (even if fully justified) that doesn't go beyond the feelings and truly gets to the roots of the problem after someone dies. Ovals are inherently unsafe compared to F1. Just look at the recent history.

F1 did change after Senna died. I do not want to see F1 drivers suffer from the lack of safety of ovals. I'd like to see a strong movement to adress the lack of safety of ovals. So far I see little evidence of that.
I feel that the actual concept of Racing gets lost among all this "strategy" and "technology" stuff. Call it what you will Ovals always produce good competition among the drivers with numerous lead changes. I feel it is a good test of skill to forget about all this technology, and strategy and to just have a bunch of guys going at it all out on the race track. It's a different type of competition. F1 is more about strategy/technology, outsmarting your rivals with superiour pit stops, having the biggest budget and therefore making the most of the technology that is provided for you. However Nascar is a sport wich focuses more on the core of what RACING is all about. Just good and pure and agressive racing which is done on the track. I respect both F1 and Nascar for they are both unique in their own way. But to say that one type of racing is better or more "sophisticated" then the other, I think, it an unfair comparison.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 4 Jun 2001 at 22:25.