Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1013827)   #26
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted a picture of the banner in another thread. I burst out laughing when I saw it. I could see it from 1,000 feet away. Tracy was correct.. and he would rather drive NASCAR than in the IRL.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1013834)   #27
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You did? How did I miss that?
Where's the pic?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1013839)   #28
Mags
Veteran

I posted it under that other thread where we talked about the FTG crew at Portland!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1013842)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Mags:

Check either your PMs or your e-mail....it pertains to a Forum other than this one...

Thanks!

Tim Northcutt

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1013873)   #30
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racerkeke
It wouldn't just be spectators the IRL would be missing if they ran at Portland. My conversations with corner workers there indicate that few of them would be willing to work an IRL race. Being volunteers, even if the local SCCA got the contract to supply workers they might have trouble making it happen.

An interesting conundrum.
keke
keke.. you darn well know none of the Vancouver workers would be there; I certainly wouldn't be there!!

I'm still trying to figure out how they will staff the ALMS race in July!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1013875)   #31
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by noquarter
Excuse me....a bidding war?
The bidding process usually has one or more parties offering their services for the best price....
The way I see it OWRS asks, "How much will you pay me to race in Portland?".....as opposed to "The IRL will pay you $x,xxx,xxx for the priviledge to race in Portland"

Personally our three families that went to the race had a great (HOT) time. (That's seven adults and seven kids that won't attend if the IRL shows up).

The attendance was up a little I think but lot fewer fans at the Turn 11 hill....too HOT!
USE THAT E MAIL address, I have already. Let them know you will NOT support an IRL race!!!

Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1013905)   #32
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't they get staffing for an ALMS race?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1013910)   #33
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just received this from one of my friends in Portland who sent an e-mail of support for the Champ race to the promoter, Global Events:

To our Champ Car Supporters:
Thank you for all your calls and emails expressing your support for Champ Car at Portland International Raceway.

Your expressions of support and opinions are more appropriately addressed to City of Portland Commissioner Jim Francesconi who will be making a decision within the new few weeks regarding IRL and Champ Car. Contact information for him is phone (503) 823-3008; email to jfrancesconi@ci.portland.or.us.

And, of course, the media is also interested in fan-based comments: Dennis Peck, Sports Editor, The Oregonian, dennispeck@news.oregonian.com or (503) 221-8164; and Steve Brandon, Sports Editor, Portland Tribune, sbrandon@portlandtribune.com or (503) 546-5144.

I was given permission to pass this along. If we want Champ to stay in Portland we had better get vocal!

keke
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1013911)   #34
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
I just received this from one of my friends in Portland who sent an e-mail of support for the Champ race to the promoter, Global Events:

To our Champ Car Supporters:
Thank you for all your calls and emails expressing your support for Champ Car at Portland International Raceway.

Your expressions of support and opinions are more appropriately addressed to City of Portland Commissioner Jim Francesconi who will be making a decision within the new few weeks regarding IRL and Champ Car. Contact information for him is phone (503) 823-3008; email to jfrancesconi@ci.portland.or.us.

And, of course, the media is also interested in fan-based comments: Dennis Peck, Sports Editor, The Oregonian, dennispeck@news.oregonian.com or (503) 221-8164; and Steve Brandon, Sports Editor, Portland Tribune, sbrandon@portlandtribune.com or (503) 546-5144.

I was given permission to pass this along. If we want Champ to stay in Portland we had better get vocal!

keke
I already started a thread on this!!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1013912)   #35
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Vancouver Indy is the same weekend.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1013920)   #36
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well clearly the ALMS is the better choice!

Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1013922)   #37
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Because the ALMS date is the same as for the Champs at Vancouver. We both draw workers from essentially a single pool that runs from southern California to Alberta. Two large pro events within five hours' drive not only splits the fan base (many Champ supporters also like sportscars) but the worker base. We all know that the IRL is perfectly capable of running a race without fans in attendance. I'd like to see them try to run a road race without workers. Especially thru that chicane!

Mags, you are right that none of us would go south for the IRL. However, I must say that only about half of the locals will be staying home for the Champs. The rest, including me, will be going to Portland for ALMS. It's a terrible decision we have had to make.

keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 23 Jun 2004 at 21:42.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1013924)   #38
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Because the ALMS date is the same as for the Champs at Vancouver. We both draw workers from essentially a single pool that runs from southern California to Alberta. Two large pro events within five hours' drive not only splits the fan base (many Champ supporters also like sportscars) but the worker base. We all know that the IRL is perfectly capable of running a race without fans in attendance. I'd like to see them try to run a road race without workers. Especially thru that chicane!

Mags, you are right that none of us would go south for the IRL. However, I must say that only about half of the locals will be staying home for the Champs. The rest, including me, will be going to Portland for ALMS. It's a terrible decision we have had to make.

keke
OH GOODY!! I'm doing the ALMS, too. You are one of the few, though. Most Vancouvers are staying there.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1014047)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We could get on with enjoying Champcar rather than enjoying hating something else.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:37 (Ref:1014082)   #40
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
We could get on with enjoying Champcar rather than enjoying hating something else.
A valid point; however, when our race is threatened, we are entilted to defend it. And nothing is more potent than letting the race promoters know the paying public's opinion.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1014083)   #41
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
However, I must say that only about half of the locals will be staying home for the Champs.

keke
My wife & I will be going to Vancouver & will make up for 2 of you Canadians, going to ALMS.

Jeff
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:46 (Ref:1014088)   #42
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cartpix
My wife & I will be going to Vancouver & will make up for 2 of you Canadians, going to ALMS.

Jeff
That is right! And youwon't be staying in my cat house!!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 07:00 (Ref:1014195)   #43
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im going to merge this with the other portland thread as well.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1014693)   #44
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
That is right! And youwon't be staying in my cat house!!
Nope, you're too far away from the track. I'm not a morning person. I'd have to get up too early, to get to those early morning photographers meetings. I really do appreciate the offer, though. You're always welcome, whenever you're in L.A.

Jeff
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1014717)   #45
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'd like to see them try to run a road race without workers. Especially thru that chicane!
F1 ran the USGP without any medical or crash support staff...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1014788)   #46
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, but they were running at an IRL venue, weren't they?

And I can't see that non-support of a particular series constitutes "hating" it. I don't support modern dance -- I like classical ballet better -- but that doesn't mean I "hate" modern dance. I just don't want to see it. Ditto for the IRL.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1014790)   #47
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And if Michael doesn't give 'em hell about that, Ralf will. It took what, 3:12 for the medical car to reach the Williams BMW, I believe.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1014792)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That issue has been debated intensely in the F1 forum.

Fair enough if people claim not to "hate" the IRL - I just wish all this "FTG" nonsense would stop, too.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1014802)   #49
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't HATE the IRL(I just don't enjoy watching), however I stand by my FTG nonesense.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1014822)   #50
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
I don't HATE the IRL(I just don't enjoy watching), however I stand by my FTG nonesense.
Agreed. He started this all by taking his ball away. None of this would be happening if he had not had done what he did. How can you not be miffed at him?