Old 3 Jun 2001, 10:24 (Ref:100384)   #26
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't buy it.

Let's look at the chain of events :

Earlier this week : Speculation mounts Newey has signed for Jag
Earlier this week : Jaguar don't deny the story
Earlier this week : McLaren do deny the story, and speculation suggests Newey CAN'T talk to anyone unless he is within a *YEAR* of the end of his contract. Basicly, he can't sign for anyone else untill August 2001.

Today : Jaguar announce Newey
Today : McLaren deny this
Later Today : Both McLaren and Newey deny this

Heres what I think :

Adrian Newey DID intend to join Jaguar, and I believe he still does. He would never have put pen to paper at Jaguar unless he fully intended to quit McLaren. The crunch factor of this is the statement by Newey himself in the Jaguar Press Release. This confirms that at some point in the very distant past, Newey fully intended to leave McLaren.

Now, Jaguar announce this.

McLaren are shocked. Newey has decided to quit them for a rival team. But wait, its not August 2001 :

quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Newey, according to insiders at McLaren, has a clause in his contract that forbids him from negotiating with other teams while his McLaren contract is more than 12 months long, and therefore Newey could not legally be reaching any agreement with any team before the coming month of August. McLaren are therefore keen to sign Newey on an extension now, before the 12-month term begins.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Dennis is not happy. McLaren release a quick press release saying their designer is not going anywhere.

Ron Dennis and Adrian Newey meet today. Dennis basicly says this to Newey :

"Adrian, look, you have a contract, and that contract says you may not negotiate with any other McLaren rivals untill August 2001. Now, Jaguar seem to think you have negotiated a deal with them. We are both intelligent people Adrian, you and I both know, if this went to court, I would win, and you would suffer from this. Neither of us want a court battle. So lets agree on this : You goto Jaguar and say "Im sorry, I acted out of contract, call me in August 2001." , you stay at McLaren, and we will talk some more.. prehaps I can make you an offer you wont be able to refuse.

Adrian agrees.

McLaren then build up a PR statement to try and clear up the mess that has obviously blown a massive hole in their credibility and their team. The PR statement IMO does *not* announce Newey has signed a new deal. It uses some clever wording, two key bits :

"Adrian Newey has confirmed his commitment"

"Whilst I am delighted to confirm my intention to remain at McLaren International"

Those two sentences IMO do not mean he has signed a new deal.
Its just nice wording, to cover up the main issue, Newey HAS to listen to McLarens offers for another 2 months untill August.

This bit :

"and recognise that there are many exciting opportunities ahead"

opportunities ... why not "exciting projects" , again, the statement is worded to suggest that this is still very much a "possible future" stance.

For Newey to stay true to his current contract, he has to have an intention to stay at McLaren, if he didn't, that would be admission that he has signed for another team. So Adrian has been forced to agree to Rons way of thinking.

But... you wait

I wont be suprised if, come August 1st 2001, Jaguar Racing announce that Adrian Newey will be their designer, and the second time around, they will be air tight and McLaren will be forced to say they are sorry to have parted company with Adrian.

The fact Adrian put pen to paper at Jaguar is IMO a very significent part of this whole story. This istn just a verbal agreement, this is Adrian putting his name to a contract. Unfortunatly for Jaguar, the contract isnt valid if it went to court, but they will get their man. McLaren will most likly spend the rest of this year in termoil.

Last edited by neutral; 3 Jun 2001 at 10:25.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:15 (Ref:100413)   #27
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It is my understanding that Newey left Williams because he was not happy at the way Damon Hill was treated there after he won the WDC for Frank. I honestly think that Newey wants to go to Jaguar, and once he has made that choice, it is not good to keep him at McLaren.
In this particular case, Newey seemed, to me, to let his friendship with Rahal, and his enthusiasm for Jaguar get the better of his judgement regarding his contractual obligations at McLaren.
I fully agree with Neutral's view on this matter, and I hope that Newey will be able to design a winner for Jaguar by the end of next year. That will give Ford another year to sort out that engine, and use a new chassis next year, which Newey will either improve immensely after August 2002, or even design then a new chassis for year 2003.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:32 (Ref:100426)   #28
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Neutral has got it right. If you are a solicitor, N, you might have a future at McLaren!

When the truth comes out at McLaren, methinks it will be a better soap opera than that currently running at BAR. Meanwhile it certainly is entertaining in its own right.

I wonder how this will figure into the rumours that Rahal is about to be sent back to Champ Cars and Niki take over the running of Jag? If Rahal pulls this off, his future at Jag seems pretty well set for as long as he cares to stay there, you think?

P.S. to Valve Bounce: Newey was just for practice to see if the F1 world would buy it. In the works: clones of Enrique Bernoldi. This is to test how strong DC's nerves are.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:37 (Ref:100433)   #29
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

P.S. to Valve Bounce: Newey was just for practice to see if the F1 world would buy it. In the works: clones of Enrique Bernoldi. This is to test how strong DC's nerves are.
I accept your challenge. My aliens will clone TGF, and he will help hold back the McLarens and Rubens, and help Ralf win.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 12:11 (Ref:100452)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Take your time to clone Ron Dennis...

He will screw up more teams.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 12:15 (Ref:100459)   #31
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Take your time to clone Ron Dennis...

He will screw up more teams.
You can't clone Ron Dennis - he's one of Liz's aliens!
Old 3 Jun 2001, 13:54 (Ref:100495)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

That explains a lot of things.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:10 (Ref:100825)   #33
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you for explaining Alan...And BTW you are most welcome! Now it is my distinct pleasure to present to you.. The latest in the continuing saga of Mr Newey "goes to toy town" Or tries too!

Rahal threatens legal action

Jaguar boss Bobby Rahal is digging in over his pursuit of McLaren designer Adrian Newey.

In the latest chapter in the dramatic saga, Rahal told the News of the World, "We have a binding contract that has been violated by Adrian and McLaren.

"We will definitely pursue a remedy through the court system in England.

"It's not a question of a man's word. I have been talking to Adrian for six months about this. There has been a breach of contract and we are going to defend our rights."

Meanwhile, chief advisor to the Jaguar team, Niki Lauda, told a German newspaper that a contract stated Newey would start from 1 August next year.

"I am very surprised to hear that Newey has also signed a contract with McLaren," he said.

"I know McLaren as correct and fair partners.

"I cannot imagine that they would have given Newey a contract knowing that he had already signed a valid three-year contract with us.

World war three..I think!

Last edited by JeremySmith; 4 Jun 2001 at 01:11.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:19 (Ref:100826)   #34
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

Let's look at this from another aspect: if Newey is reluctant to leave McLaren now, how effective will he be if he was forced by the courts to go across to Jaguar? Or the converse situation where he wants to go to Jaguar, but is forced to stay with McLaren?
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:49 (Ref:100834)   #35
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
neutral, its a very impressive analysis and I think you are right on the money. Just imagine though, poor Newey having Ron whine at him until August!
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:58 (Ref:100840)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Excellent...Analysis Neutral!
Old 4 Jun 2001, 09:54 (Ref:100954)   #37
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahem... does anyone have fresh recollections about Newey’s departure from Williams?
Old 4 Jun 2001, 14:00 (Ref:101026)   #38
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Ahem... does anyone have fresh recollections about Newey’s departure from Williams?
All I can say is, this is what I get for going away for a long weekend with no computer.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 02:17 (Ref:101296)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
The latest From The BBC

Rahal threatens legal action...As it stands, Newey is staying put
Jaguar chief Bobby Rahal has threatened to sue McLaren after failing to secure the services of technical director Adrian Newey.

Rahal's team announced on Friday that Newey, Formula One's top designer, had signed to join them from next year.

Shortly after that statement, McLaren issued their own stating Newey would be staying.

"We have a binding contract that has been violated by Adrian and McLaren," Rahal told the News of the World.

There has been a breach of contract and we are going to defend our rights
Bobby Rahal

"We will definitely pursue a remedy through the court system in England.

"It's not a question of a man's word. I have been talking to Adrian for six months about this. There has been a breach of contract and we are going to defend our rights."

Formula One legend Niki Lauda, chief advisor to the Jaguar team, told the German Sunday newspaper Welt am Sonntag the contract stated Newey would start from 1 August next year.

"I am very surprised to hear that Newey has also signed a contract with McLaren," he said.

"I know McLaren as correct and fair partners.

"I cannot imagine that they would have given Newey a contract knowing that he had already signed a valid three-year contract with us."
Old 5 Jun 2001, 05:59 (Ref:101355)   #40
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Jaguar have had a QC look at the contract that Newey signed, and the QC indicated that it is binding. Now Jaguar may take both Newey and McLaren to court. This is not going to go away, it seems.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 17:02 (Ref:101496)   #41
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
show me the money?

Being that i am a new member here at F1 Rumors, and this being my "virginal" posting, I hope that the jargon that i spit will be enjoyed by all and not be another fart in the wind.

In regards to the McLaren-Jaguar debate over Newey, i wonder how much of this mess is spawned from financial grievances as it is political? Although i am an avid Mclaren fan, i sometimes wonder about the penial actions of Ron "Da D!ck-head" Dennis. It is no secret that in the recent year or so, McLaren's reign has been slowly reaching its demise. In addition, with the construction of Mclaren's new, elaborate, and undoubtedly expensive headquarters, Paragon (to be functional at the end of 2002), it seems that Mclaren International has a newfound need for success. Therefore, with the prospects of Aerodynamist deity Adrian Newey defecting to Jaguar at the summer of 2002, Ron Dennis is left scratching his ass wondering who will run the very expensive show at Paragon?

Having weighed the options of either losing Newey and risk losing out (in terms of performance and status and money) to teams as Ferrari, Williams BMW, and eventually Jaguar (armed with Newey), or legally fighting for Newey in the courts, I'm sure that Dennis, among others at Mclaren, have found the rate of return much more profitable to keep Newey and pay whatever fines and fees that may occur. In essence, McLaren are hoping to secure success with Newey on their side.

Jaguar, on the otherhand, is owned by Ford who is facing their own lawsuits in the United States over defective tires. That, along with not-so-promising sales and underperforming race cars, Jaguar is in a dire need to find a way to redeem themselves. Therefore, with Newey and subsequently their reputation on the line, Jaguar is undoubtedly leaping (no pun intended) to this great opportunity to bring down McLaren and raise their own status.

Any way you look at it, Jaguar is the victor in this situation. If they lose Newey, they will most likely be inheriting a large sum from Mclaren from their lawsuit. If they win Newey...well, that speaks for itself. Either way, Jaguar will see the brighter side of the day whereas the skies over Woking will most likely get darker.

Mclaren better start winning some more races.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 17:59 (Ref:101519)   #42
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well as adrian newey is without doubt, f1's hottest property, i can see a very long and drawn out battle in the court rooms...