Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1013262)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1013271)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whats the matter? Don't believe me?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1013279)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I recall Martin saying that too - it's just that doesn't explain how Mika managed to do it ten years ago.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1013286)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Patrese was moved from a dangerous position (Lowes hairpin) in teh 1982 Monaco GP and he had stalled his engine! Thr roll down the hill allowed a bump start and he went on to win the GP no-one wanted to win...

There was a change in the rules with regard to this at the beginging of 2003, but I forget the specifics. Whatever, keeps them in the race (still with a disadvantage for going off).
Old 23 Jun 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1013339)   #30
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that the rule change was that a car could be moved to a position where it could restart the race if the engine had not stopped, but no assistence was allowed to restart a stalled engine.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1013366)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I recall Martin saying that too - it's just that doesn't explain how Mika managed to do it ten years ago.
Maybe the rule was in place in 1994, changed after that, then reverted back for 2003? :confused:

The FIA seems to change the rules quite often, so this could be the reason?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1013472)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
Only just remembered.....

Johnny Herbert, Silverstone 1998, came into the pits to retire after going off the track and getting outside help from the marshalls.

Quote:
What Johnny said....

"The team started to talk to me on the radio but i could only hear interference. Going into Priory, i started to wave him (Jean Alesi) by, but it's hard to do that while watching your mirrors and trying to decipher a radio meaasge. I spun off on the dirt and as soon as i felt the marshals push me i knew it would be all over"

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Jun 2004 at 15:27.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1013769)   #33
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Totally irrelevant point, really.

You really are very dismisive of opinions other than your own and I disagree it is fully relevant Drivers Dying was not considered a good thing so steps have been taken to prevent it happening

In my opinion Drivers whinging to pit lane reporters when they should be out on the track is also not a good thing especially if their car is basically race worthy so I don't see why step can't be taken to rectify that situation also.

Quote:
We don't want a situation where, in order to push spun off cars back onto the track, the safety car is out regularly.
I wouldn't suggest that as a course of action if it is safe to do so the driver could be bump started in a slip road and a marshall with good vision of the approaching cars could hold the driver until it is safe for him to rejoin or something like that no need to interfere with everyone elses race

All that said I don't think it will ever happen but I don't think it is a bad idea in principle

Even if other will dismiss it as nonsence or irrelevant

Last edited by Hungary 89; 23 Jun 2004 at 19:44.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1013779)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's not really possible to "bump start" a stalled F1 car in the way you suggest though.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1013783)   #35
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong but I'm sure i've seen it done
You often see pit crew pushing a car that stalls in the pits to see if they can bump start it only if that fails do they pull it back to the pits and use the electric starter

And besides if the FIA made it legal then you can bet your bottom dollar the teams would make sure that they made it possible
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1013812)   #36
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The last time i saw an F1 car being bump started was Senna at Suzuka '89.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1013831)   #37
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened with Irvine at Monaco '96? Surely the car stalled at Loews? He had even undone his belts I think.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1014081)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
What happened with Irvine at Monaco '96? Surely the car stalled at Loews? He had even undone his belts I think.
Correct, (i was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it ). The advantage Eddie had of course is the fact that he was going down hill which is alot easier than marshals pushing a F1 car.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1015598)   #39
65bc
Rookie

65bc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would lik eto see more full course yellows for the simple fact that the field is bunched up and it gives the weaker teams a better chance at a points finish and we would see some more overtaking and closer racing
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1015757)   #40
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the marshals and officials at the USGP were perfectly correct in what they did - I wouldn't expect them to risk their lives any more than they already had to - Ralf was clearly conscious, and as the FIA have already said - their rules require a response within 2 minutes, which was met.

As for the restart - it wouldn't have been so as to have a full field, merely to clear the track from potentially dangerous chunks of carbon fibre. What's wrong with putting safety first?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1015765)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by 65bc
i would lik eto see more full course yellows for the simple fact that the field is bunched up and it gives the weaker teams a better chance at a points finish and we would see some more overtaking and closer racing

It's not NASCAR!
Old 26 Jun 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1016657)   #42
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quick, MS is 0.1 secs ahead of RB/JB/TS/etc. Chuck a full course yellow out for Debris on the track at turn three, make sure that the TV cameras are turned off there so that they can't show a lack off debris, and then mess up the laptiming and take 24 laps to sort it out.

Isn't that how it works in NASCAR?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1020333)   #43
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really hate to be a know all, but I thought the rule was that if you staled at the start the marshals responsable for your row of cars had to push you to the pits, where the pit crew could try and restart the car. If the engine restarted whilst you were being pushed you could rejoin the race after the rest of the field had passed. Not totally sure I'm right, so someone should look it up...
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1020370)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

We're not talking about stalling at the start, though.

Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1020479)   #45
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oops, my mistake! Still, if anyone can confiem whether I'm right it would be helpful in case I go and post something odd like that again!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1020483)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

You are correct, yes
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1020490)   #47
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Is it normal to know stuff like that off the top of your head???????
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1020500)   #48
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That has always been the way in F1.

If you're out, you're out.

That happens in racing.
True but not to all racers. Just look a MS... he got a push or 2 from the marshals in the last 2 seasons.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1021218)   #49
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And others wouldn't have? You're enhancing the truth to fit those conspiracy theories again aren't you?

FerrariFanatic - I'm not sure it's normal, but at least it's vaguely useful - have you seen some of the rubbish the rest of us come out with?