Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1031311)   #101
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"A tiny bit of wheel banging is worth 1000 fuel stops" Autosport ed. John McIlroy July 8.

Says it all really. Now don't get me wrong I hate slagging off F1 having been an avid fan since the late 60's but I think most fair-minded motorsport fans will agree it's been pretty dire for some considerable time now. Noone would cheer louder than me if the powers that be scrapped TC, fuelled the cars till the chequered flag, introduced a manual box and foot clutch one tyre maufacturer and let the buggers drive the things. A budget ceiling on teams annual expenditure would be nice too but of course I'm not naive enough to think that's a viable option. Until at least some of the above changes are made then in Mansells words I for one won't try to defend the indefencible. As for those who say F1 is about winning and not overtaking or claim that the yawn fest at Magny Bore was the race of the season all I can say in my best cockney accent is Gawd 'elp us!!!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1031374)   #102
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Hornsey
Excepting MS, look at all the greats - Senna, Mansell, Prost, Lauda, Stewart - the list could go on. None of these had to call upon the pit stop to overtake - they did it on the track.
Its not Michael's fault. I reckon Michael is probably one of if not the best overtaker out there. However he knows that a move might not come off, but if he waits he will have a much better chance of getting the lead.

I say force Michael to have to overtake, ban refuelling!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1031375)   #103
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I say force Michael to have to overtake, ban refuelling!
amen!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1031395)   #104
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote knowlesy :"Unfortunately, some people get the wrong end of the stick and think we are belittling his achievements.....THAT'S sad."

Err..try telling me for example this quote "Maybe MS should have followed Rossi's example and moved to a less competetive team! He could have answered all his critics by winning the title in a Williams or McLaren for instance." isn't trying to belittle his achievements? Yeah..maybe reading the point i'm targetting would give you u clearer picture

To be blunt,i don't think Ferrari/MS had done an ultra super job this season yet. The reason this domination looked more one-sided than it really is is simply because other teams screw up.

Look at how far back Williams and Mclaren drop back relative to the rest of the field. If considering BAR's current position, and realistically Williams/Mclaren being a step ahead, we would actually have a huge fight between the traditional big three.

Ferrari made a few mistakes, took some risks..yet sometimes, they are simply allowed to get away with it because the teams don't stick close enough to make Ferrari pay.

In a way, the new qualifyings had done part of it's intended job. MS/RB don't often find themselves in pole...and other teams have a good chance to outwit Ferrari to win..but it didn't happen. France should have been won by Renault, their overall package isn't too far off Ferrari, and even if it is, with a bit of strategy Renault could have easily held MS behind. But nope...Ferrari did a better job and win again.

I'm proud of every Ferrari win as much as i feel frustrated with every Ferrari win. As i celebrate how wonderful a job Ferrari and MS and RB and the crew had done, i'm always left looking for answers.."What are the oppositions doing??!!"

That's what made F1 dull...Don't just blame MS for not attempting to overtake. Button himself is relying on strategy for him to overtake Trulli and he's upset that the anti-stall cost him a podium. He made no real attempt on the track to take RB nor Trulli.Up and down the field, these things are part and parcel...to single out only a guy for blame is ridiculous.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1031399)   #105
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am certainly not doubting MS's talent or having a go at him, I am just making a suggestion on how F1 could have been livened up and how Michael could have improved his own rating.
If everyone knew that the best driver was in a car that shouldn't be winning and he still managed to win sometimes that would make for more excitement in my opinion.
As for not being informed, I have been following GPs since the late 60's and I am an avid fan of all motorsport. However I feel that F1 needs chanes to be made to improve the entertainment value.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1031413)   #106
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, there are lots of fors and against now on this thread - I suppose what I should have done is started a poll rather than a thread. If you have answered, on either side of the fence, please respond to the poll - especially as I feel out of touch now - is it me or are the ones whos views are different in the majority, or just louder! :-)
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1031416)   #107
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paddy
If everyone knew that the best driver was in a car that shouldn't be winning and he still managed to win sometimes that would make for more excitement in my opinion.
But that is precisely what he has done many times over. Now he's in a position where that isn't necessary, but he certainly has given plenty of those through his career. I honestly don't think there can be any serious debate as to who the proven best driver is. The quality of the Ferrari must be judged against the results of both Ferrari drivers - this year it seems by a goiod margin to be the car to have, but it was tighter last year - and Schumacher still won.