Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Jul 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1030258)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hill Climb Elligability Question

Hello,

I'm currently entertaining the idea of developing a VW Caddy Pickup hillclimb car. However the rules state that vehicles "Not be a vehicle of commercial type, such as a van/pick up
which was iniatlly intened solely for commercial or goods carrying unless
permitted by SRs"

So is it likely to be elligable via Supplementry Regulations at certain courses? Would it be elligable for Sports Libre?

Any information gratefully recieved.

-David
Old 8 Jul 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1030367)   #2
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont know the full origin of the commercial vehicle overall GR, but its been put to the test in road rallying many times. Not aware of any hillclimbs where SR's would allow it. I would read it as banned from all classes, including sports libre (and the south east "catch all" class that is not just sports libre). Were you thinking road legal (roadgoing classes)? (no one uses the exact MSA GRs for roadgoing? - for good reason!).
Why? Is it lighter than a Golf? My neighbour's Caddy looked a tank.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1030372)   #3
HoTWire
Racer

Its about the same weight as a Golf in standard trim, a touch heavier, but I think with some suitable stripping it could be made lighter than an equivilent level of stripping out Golf. Or at least thats my thought

They are also a lot cheaper to get your hands on and start fiddling with. It would indeed be road legal, taxed and tested.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1030513)   #4
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a Caddy van testing at Snetterton a few weeks ago looked strange to see a van on track. Think it races in the VW series. Anyone got a photo?
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1030545)   #5
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course if your name was Rod Millen and you owned the Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak pick up you would be welcomed with open arms.

But seriously if you go down that route with a road going version registered as such and taxed "private light goods" the same as a car you might be able to successsfully argue the case. In times gone by I remember someone campaigning a Mini pick up. I always thought that the regulation was to stop an upcoming Steve Parrish entering a hairy truck.

You could always ask a friendly approachable scrutineer if you have any doubts. Yes there are some, lol. In fact I will ask the question of a leading scrutineer on our next meeting for you.

Will be interested in your progress though.

Last edited by Fireblade; 8 Jul 2004 at 18:27.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1030642)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's of any help to you, BARC Midlands ran a couple of Land Rovers at a sprint a few years back. We ran a "special" class for them which was covered by SRs. If you are in any doubt, can I suggest that you contact either a Technical Commissioner or an Eligability Scrutineer (Section EE of the Blue Book contains a full list of names, addresses and contact details).

Do let us know how you get on.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1030673)   #7
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry but asking a scrutineer is not the way to an answer that can be made to stick, only to another view (albeit usually one from experience but not guaranteed to be right!). Only within the context of an individual event does a scrutineer have "authority". Once issued, GRs are open to any interpretation you are prepared to take to law. The MSC (and certainly not the MSA) cannot say "thats what was meant", its a matter of what the regs actually say.
The reason for the question on being in roadgoing class is that allowed lightening is limited to boot/bonnet and removal of carpets. There is then a fairly grey area on removal of some internal equipment that depends on the region's regs (not aware of any event using the standard roadgoing GRs!). There is then more scope to lighten a roadgoing car than a truck. You could compete in Modprod or Sports Libre in a road legal vehicle but its not likely to be competitive.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1030686)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With abject apologies, once again I didn't read what I'd typed before I posted!

First off, I should approach the organising Club and ask for their advice and regs, then if you are in any doubt, double check with their eligibility people.

Does that make more sense?
Old 8 Jul 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1030774)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
taxation class - private light goods - should be able to run no probs.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 07:39 (Ref:1031017)   #10
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anuauto
The reason for the question on being in roadgoing class is that allowed lightening is limited to boot/bonnet and removal of carpets. There is then a fairly grey area on removal of some internal equipment that depends on the region's regs (not aware of any event using the standard roadgoing GRs!). There is then more scope to lighten a roadgoing car than a truck. You could compete in Modprod or Sports Libre in a road legal vehicle but its not likely to be competitive.
By the sounds of it a Pickup would end up in sports Libre, particuarly with the lightening route I'd like to take with it. Right now you could put me in a championship winning Gould and I wouldn't be competative. I'll think about a competative car once I can drive faster than the car goes ,..

I've got a couple of people asking about this at the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1034696)   #11
HoTWire
Racer

No more info on how eligable a pickup is. Any one else find anything out?