Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:04 (Ref:103441)   #1
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan needs no lesson by JV, he does it himself

Did Juan set a record for the most thorough humiliation over a weekend ? I mean, social, qualifying, actual race.....

Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:15 (Ref:103453)   #2
Handle
Rookie

Handle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I've mentioned before, I guess we can't expect Montoya to stay out of trouble with other drivers when he can't even keep his own car out of trouble.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:18 (Ref:103459)   #3
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why just pinpoint Montoya when so many drivers couldn't keep themselves out of trouble??
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:21 (Ref:103465)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too right. Remember Montoya is a rookie, he has the speed, but he needs to control himself a bit more. Give the guy a break (though I do not condone what he said to Jacques).
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:23 (Ref:103467)   #5
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on - he's not really a rookie - he's just an over self indulgent big-head - no offence intended
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:26 (Ref:103473)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Monty said "somthing strange happened". He admitted in Monaco that he had made a mistake but here he said he went into the corner in same way every lap but that time the rear end brike lose.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:28 (Ref:103476)   #7
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Control himself is right, for sure. Its one thing to have loads of talent, but quite another to be a total a**hole to your friends, acquaintances, mechanics, engineers, fellow drivers, teammate, sponsors, hangers on, pit babes, and anyone else he seems to be alienating at a torrid pace...
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:37 (Ref:103485)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by francis
he's not really a rookie
He is an F1 rookie. These cars are completely different to drive than a Champ Car. Juan Pablo needs to adjust himself to that, then he'll fly.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 19:42 (Ref:103489)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once I feel sorry for Rubens, race ruined by a glitchy TC and someone elses ineptitude.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 21:57 (Ref:103579)   #10
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Too right. Remember Montoya is a rookie, he has the speed, but he needs to control himself a bit more. Give the guy a break (though I do not condone what he said to Jacques).
Montoya has not the speed. He was miles behind his team mate all the week end.

And a guy that said that the other F1 drivers are "mentally weak" doesn't deserve any break. "Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind"
Old 10 Jun 2001, 22:04 (Ref:103581)   #11
ferra
Rookie

ferra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is a rookie, the problem is he doesn't think he is a rookie and spends most of his time going all out to prove he's one of the big boys when it's clear he has a lot to learn.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 22:10 (Ref:103583)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must say I'm getting worried abouyt JPM.

I Know he's a rookie.

I know he has all he takes to be a winner.

But I think he's breaking under the pressure surrounding him.

Not funny, We've seen many good drivers being screwed by this kind of thing.

Like I heard on TV today: with all the hype of his coming, and now drivers getting angry about his behaviour...
Old 10 Jun 2001, 23:55 (Ref:103628)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too Bon....
Looked so promising in brazil and I really thought he was in for a season like JV's rookie year in F1. We must be patient and hope that if he gets it together on the track, he will also get it together off the track. I would love to see him challenging as I feel he is a racer at heart and has the ego/self belief needed to pass in F1 at present.He needs a good spankin' from his Papa at the moment though!
Old 11 Jun 2001, 00:23 (Ref:103635)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Run Free
And a guy that said that the other F1 drivers are "mentally weak" doesn't deserve any break
This is what he said:

"He won't intimidate me, because I'm not psychologically fragile as other drivers." Juan Pablo Montoya on Michael Schumacher.

He said "other drivers", not "the other F1 drivers" that means the rest of the grid.

And I agree with Mr. Bononi, about the pressure. But hey, Ralf took 4 years to win his first race, I know JPM will take less time... he is a natural-born-racer, and this year its only for getting experience and collecting data. People who were thinking that he came to be the 2001 F1 Champion are out of perspectives...
Old 11 Jun 2001, 00:51 (Ref:103643)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

I think that he is a natural born amateur..
Old 11 Jun 2001, 02:05 (Ref:103663)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
This is what he said:

"He won't intimidate me, because I'm not psychologically fragile as other drivers." Juan Pablo Montoya on Michael Schumacher.
I think they way he keeps comparing himself to TGF is arrogant in the extreme. A rookie, talking about how the current, and 3 times World Champion, won't intimidate him. Geez, you'd actually have to be on the same lap for this to be a problem.

When he came to F1, I was a supporter of JMP, but its his comments, not his driving, that has turned me off him. He may be a rookie to driving a F1 car, but he's not a rookie when it comes to public statements.

Close your mouth and start driving the car Juan, and you may get through this yet.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 02:18 (Ref:103668)   #17
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that some of JPM's comments have been rather arrogant. However I don't find the "TGF won't intimidate me" comment arrogant at all. All I think it shows is that he has tremendous self confidence.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 02:54 (Ref:103685)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
I agree that some of JPM's comments have been rather arrogant. However I don't find the "TGF won't intimidate me" comment arrogant at all. All I think it shows is that he has tremendous self confidence.
But what is it based on - his performances so far this season, or "hey, did you see me in CART?"
Old 11 Jun 2001, 02:58 (Ref:103686)   #19
Raoul Duke
Veteran

What about his move on TGF in Brazil?.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 03:09 (Ref:103692)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
One move, you've got to be kidding.

We should base his talent on one move. I grant you that it was a great move, as was the move on Trulli in San Marino. But a couple of passing moves combined with some stupid errors and a lack of pace does'nt give him the right to think he can match Schumi.

One day he will be WDC, but he needs to pull his head in until he has something real to mouth off about.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 03:18 (Ref:103694)   #21
Raoul Duke
Veteran

No, I'm not kidding. I don't think there are a lot of drivers who would have had the guts and tenacity to have pulled off such a move. It prooves that he's not afraid of TGF. There was also his front row start in Austria. Unlike a lot of other drivers, he doesn't consider TGF to be his superiour(nor should he). I give him credit for his condidence unlike the usual "I worship the ground he walks on, it's such an honour to be racing alongside him".
Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:11 (Ref:104180)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with what Bononi said earlier. I believe Montoya certainly has what it takes to be a winner. He just has to get his head right.

Just on the incident at Canada - I had a couple of looks at it in slo-mo and the bridge gets in the way a little bit. But just as the car comes into sight, it seems to turn right sharply in a weird sort of way. JPM admitted his mistake in Monaco, but said how weird the incident seemed in Canada.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 02:33 (Ref:104206)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Originally posted by R

Juan Pablo needs to adjust himself to that, then he'll fly.

Yes R with any luck, BACK to the United States