Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1046674)   #1
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My review of the German GP.

OK, so here is my review of the German GP, it's brief, but I've tried. This is my first ever race review, so far I've stuck to cars, so any advice is welcome.

German Formula One Grand Prix, 25TH July 2004.

Anyone who says there are few opportunities to overtake in F1 should have watched today’s German Grand Prix. There were thrills, spills and plenty of challenges. This is what I think we need more of in the sport.

Events started off early on, Olivier Panis aborting the first start by stalling on the grid. He started in the pitlane for the restart. Juan Pablo Montoya was very slow off the line when racing got underway, dropping back to seventh from his initial P2 on the grid. Ruebens Barrichello then lost his front wing after making contact with David Coulthard’s McLaren. His pitstop sent him to the back of the grid.

Shortly after this, Kimi Raikkonen had a rear wing failure which sent him sailing into the tyres and out of the race. Fortunately he was unhurt in the incident. Initial worries about the same problem occurring on David Coulthard’s car were unnecessary as an inspection proved the rear wing to be fine. Other retirements from the race were that of Nick Heidfeld and Christiano Da Matta.

The most memorable battle for position was between Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso for second place, the Renault having more traction out of corners. Button eventually caught Alonso out in braking, managing to slip past. He held the position for the remainder of the race, whilst struggling with a helmet problem.

So, Michael Schumacher wins again, but noe there are a few drivers with the potential to beat him.

Agaihn, any advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
f1 car 3.jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1049585)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
OK sorry guys... blatant bump here but cmon! I thought we were a helpfull bunch!

I am no journalist but this review seems OK.

As discussed in the chatroom by someone else.. it might help to add lap numbers to the events?

What do the rest of you think!? i KNOW there is no lack of opinions around

Even one of your SHARP comments would help Wrex

Last edited by Cougar21; 28 Jul 2004 at 09:18.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1049594)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'll present you with something sharp in your shoulder blades if you like
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:26 (Ref:1049595)   #4
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Keep on topic !!

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1049607)   #5
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi FerrariFanatic

I know how hard it is to write race reports - I wrote them for years for several publications! It's a matter of trying to decide what to leave in and what to leave out. Yours is a great first attempt and, as I didn't see the race, you've covered most of the major events.

I do have some suggestions though:

1) Can you find a way of listing the final result at the end? Your review gives the first three finishers but not the remainder. For example, in what order did the other finishers cross the line? Who else were the points-scorers, e.g. Pizzonia finished 7th in his debut for Williams.
2) As suggested above, the lap on which incidents occured is always very helpful.
3) Check the spellings of drivers - it's Rubens Barrichello and not Ruebens (it is a common thing though and I've seen misspellings in "proper" publications too).

Well done on the first go though.

P.S. is that your picture of DC?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1049645)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm slightly confused as to why a Hockenheim 2004 report is illustrated by a picture from Silverstone 2000.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1049709)   #7
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend of my mum emailed her the pics, and I thought they might look nice at the end. I'll try and find some appropriate pics for the re draft which will be here soon. And I will take the advice here to help.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1049757)   #8
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
New review, minus pic

Anyone who says there are few opportunities to overtake in F1 should have watched today’s German Grand Prix. There were thrills, spills and plenty of challenges. This is what I think we need more of in the sport.

Events started off early on, Olivier Panis aborting the first start by stalling on the grid. He started in the pitlane for the restart. Juan Pablo Montoya was very slow off the line when racing got underway, dropping back to seventh from his initial P2 on the grid. Rubens Barrichello then lost his front wing after making contact with David Coulthard’s McLarenon lap one. His pitstop sent him to the back of the grid.

Shortly after this, Kimi Raikkonen had a rear wing failure which sent him sailing into the tyres and out of the race on lap 14. Fortunately he was unhurt in the incident. Initial worries about the same problem occurring on David Coulthard’s car were unnecessary as an inspection proved the rear wing to be fine. Other retirements from the race were that of Nick Heidfeld and Christiano Da Matta.

The most memorable battle for position was between Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso for second place, the Renault having more traction out of corners. Button eventually caught Alonso out in braking, managing to slip past. He held the position for the remainder of the race, whilst struggling with a helmet problem.

So, Michael Schumacher wins again, but noe there are a few drivers with the potential to beat him. So the overall result is as follows:

GERMAN GP RESULT

German Grand Prix result (66 laps)

1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1h23m54.848s
2 BUTTON BAR + 0m08.388s
3 ALONSO Renault + 0m16.351s
4 COULTHARD McLaren + 0m19.231s
5 MONTOYA Williams + 0m23.055s
6 WEBBER Jaguar + 0m41.108s
7 PIZZONIA Williams + 0m41.956s
8 SATO BAR + 0m46.842s
9 FISICHELLA Sauber + 1m07.102s
10 KLIEN Jaguar + 1m08.578s
11 TRULLI Renault + 1m10.258s
12 BARRICHELLO Ferrari + 1m13.252s
13 MASSA Sauber + 1 lap
14 PANIS Toyota + 1 lap
15 PANTANO Jordan + 3 laps
16 BAUMGARTNER Minardi + 4 laps
17 BRUNI Minardi + 4 laps
18 HEIDFELD Jordan + 24 laps
19 DA MATTA Toyota + 28 laps
20 RAIKKONEN McLaren + 53 laps
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1049765)   #9
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
New review minus picture.

Events started off early on, Olivier Panis aborting the first start by stalling on the grid. He started in the pitlane for the restart. Juan Pablo Montoya was very slow off the line when racing got underway, dropping back to seventh from his initial P2 on the grid. Rubens Barrichello then lost his front wing after making contact with David Coulthard’s McLarenon lap one. His pitstop sent him to the back of the grid.

Shortly after this, Kimi Raikkonen had a rear wing failure which sent him sailing into the tyres and out of the race on lap 14. Fortunately he was unhurt in the incident. Initial worries about the same problem occurring on David Coulthard’s car were unnecessary as an inspection proved the rear wing to be fine. Other retirements from the race were that of Nick Heidfeld and Christiano Da Matta.

So, Michael Schumacher wins again, but noe there are a few drivers with the potential to beat him. So the overall result is as follows:

GERMAN GP RESULT

German Grand Prix result (66 laps)

1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1h23m54.848s
2 BUTTON BAR + 0m08.388s
3 ALONSO Renault + 0m16.351s
4 COULTHARD McLaren + 0m19.231s
5 MONTOYA Williams + 0m23.055s
6 WEBBER Jaguar + 0m41.108s
7 PIZZONIA Williams + 0m41.956s
8 SATO BAR + 0m46.842s
9 FISICHELLA Sauber + 1m07.102s
10 KLIEN Jaguar + 1m08.578s
11 TRULLI Renault + 1m10.258s
12 BARRICHELLO Ferrari + 1m13.252s
13 MASSA Sauber + 1 lap
14 PANIS Toyota + 1 lap
15 PANTANO Jordan + 3 laps
16 BAUMGARTNER Minardi + 4 laps
17 BRUNI Minardi + 4 laps
18 HEIDFELD Jordan + 24 laps
19 DA MATTA Toyota + 28 laps
20 RAIKKONEN McLaren + 53 laps
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1049766)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good.

You could probably lose the words "I think" from the opening paragraph.

That would make the assertion a bit stronger and we already know it's what you think, as it's your review.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1049793)   #11
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Always double check spelling and then check it again a few more times!

Also I think giving the raw results like that wont always work for all formats... But good start at improving

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1049801)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again - you want to have a target audience in mind.

If you're writing for F1 fans then you can presume that they've seen the race.

I used to write race reports as well, and what I did was to pick a theme up out of the race and concentrate on that, leaving a smaller bit to generalise the race, rather than dilute your whole article telling people what they've seen.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1049807)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's a good way to do it, Logrence.

Tell a story rather than just a blow-by-blow account of the race.

Last edited by Kicking-back; 28 Jul 2004 at 12:50.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:52 (Ref:1049809)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two points

Good try.Sounds too much like every other 'bored report writing journalist' though.Try NOT to be so professional,it'll sound better

Change to another sport alltogether-there's no immediate future in f1!It's 90% sh*t at the moment and won't improve soon
Old 28 Jul 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1049815)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Final bit of advice - ignore some opinions ^^^^
Old 28 Jul 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1049917)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Too true, Wrex, too true.

Quote:
Originally posted by RWC

Change to another sport alltogether-there's no immediate future in f1!It's 90% sh*t at the moment and won't improve soon

RWC - Why watch it then?

And remember, negativity breeds negativity!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1049997)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as Mr Negativity and Mrs Negativity are in a stable loving relationship, mind you.