Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2001, 09:24 (Ref:105042)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yoong almost confirmed at Minardi

Malaysian Formula Nippon driver Alex Yoong has been offered a seat at Minardi. f1-live.com announced that the Malaysian minister of sport had met with Minardi's sporting director and the two had come to an agreement. Subsequently Yoong received the offer. However, there is no news on when Yoong will take over as driver, because he hasn't got a super licence at the moment.

"At the moment I still have a commitment...I am still driving in the Formula Nippon and my next race is on July 1," said Yoong.

"There's also the question of the super licence which is out of the hands of Minardi and Alex,” explained Alex's manager, Simon Munger. “But in order to apply to the FIA through the AAM, Alex will have to first receive an offer from a F1 team. With this offer in hand, we can now take the proper steps respecting the FIA Sporting Code and make the application to the Malaysian ASN."

We now know who Tarso's replacement will be.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 13:26 (Ref:105124)   #2
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is anyone else getting bored of the is he/isn't he stuff. I personally think that Marques is quite good, but I admit I don't know a lot a bout Yoong, but if it gets sponsors to the team it must be good. As Paul Stoddart said, we have to concentrate on next year's car and engines, and get next year as good as possible, as its daft to pump resources in to this year's car.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 15:27 (Ref:105161)   #3
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just won the lottery, can I drive the other Minardi please!
Old 15 Jun 2001, 12:58 (Ref:105478)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
From autorace.com:
"It was reported on Thursday that Malaysian driver, Alexander
Yoong received an offer from Minardi, depending on him securing
the right sponsors as well as obtaining the approval from the FIA.

Sports Minister, Datuk Hishammuddin Hussein was quoted:
"Minardi's offer is open and there is still room for discussions as
the final amount of sponsorship hasn't been finalised. I'm still
waiting for a report from the meeting we had with the sponsors.
However, Alex (Yoong) must also obtain a super-licence from FIA
before he can drive".

The New Straits Times furthermore reported on Friday that the
Malaysian government would not provide Yoong with any financial
assistance for his F1 effort.

Sports Minister Hussein was quoted: "The Government will not
contribute to Yoong's campaign because we are not looking at
this present scenario in that perspective. Actually it's up to IMG
(International Management Group) and Alex (Yoong) because they
are the ones who have to convince sponsors that exposure in F1
is good. "

Does this fellow have the necessary talent to make it in F1? Or does he just have access to $$$
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:53 (Ref:105507)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
>Does this fellow have the necessary talent to make it in F1? Or does >he just have access to $$$

Stoddard NEEDS $$$!!! Because that he is capable to contract Yoong! But I question why Alex can catch a F1 drive when he didn't score any point on the F.Nippon (his best result is 7th).
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:59 (Ref:105510)   #6
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazzacane never scored an F3000 point, and as FNippon is F3000 (sort of) shouldn't that count for him
Old 15 Jun 2001, 18:51 (Ref:105582)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure he has excess $$ he struggled to find a budget during his time in F3 but managed to move up to the Italian F3000 before securing a drive in Formula Nippon. He certainly has good backing but outside of the Malaysian Government, his main sponsor is Brylcreem!
Old 16 Jun 2001, 02:31 (Ref:105713)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's not true

>Mazzacane never scored an F3000 point, and as FNippon is F3000 (sort >of) shouldn't that count for him

That's not true!!! Gaston Mazzacane scored TWO POINTS (two 6th places) during his F3000 career. Both points he scored during 1998, when he raced for Team Astromega alongside Uruguayan Gonzalo Rodriguez. On the first race of that year (Oschersleben) he finished 7th but with the disqualification of Paolo Ruberti (3rd) he become 6th, and also scored a final 6th in the fourth round at Silverstone.
The difference is Mr. Yoong have a career in F3000 and F.Nippon but he didn't score any point in both categories.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 03:06 (Ref:105725)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, I predict Alex will never get on the grid of an F1 race. I think that with all the good drivers waiting in the wings, either Paul cannot get his hands on a decent engine and must use that Fondmetal thing again next year so he has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a driver, or he is just as desperate as Jodie Rich and has no cash to get an engine for next year. In which case, he might as well sign up Fred Flintstone.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 16 Jun 2001 at 03:08.