Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2001, 06:54 (Ref:105770)   #1
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Jackie

Jackie Stewart's finally been given a knighthood.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 06:56 (Ref:105772)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, as the sword didn't slip I guess I'll have to add my congrats to all those others.

Anybody see anything slightly "cynical" in this - Politically speaking?
Old 16 Jun 2001, 09:13 (Ref:105778)   #3
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very synical of you? ah well i mean its not like he's done anything to get one is it? - only won 3 world titles and set up an F1 team...
Old 16 Jun 2001, 14:53 (Ref:105856)   #4
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well deserved!!. The only question is why it took so long. Jackie stands as a landmark not only for the outstending talent as a driver but also for his relentless efforts to improve driver safety.

A great driver with a big heart and a clever businessman.

Congratulations Sir Jackie Stewart !!

Old 16 Jun 2001, 15:24 (Ref:105875)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Far be it for a Yank to comment on the Archaic traditions across the pond, but I think that as these things go, it was deserved ages ago.

As an ambassador for Britain alone, he has done a terrific job.

He's a true gentleman.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 15:32 (Ref:105879)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree EERO. If there is one racer known the world over for his driving, his style and for everything he has done for racing during his career, and since his retirement, it is Jackie Stewart.

Many say that Jackie was the first driver to drive just fast enough to win, rather than stupidly risking his life for nothing, like so many others did. He also brought some sense to the sport with his safety crusade. We owe much to this great Scotsman, and there could be noone more deserving of such an honour.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 16:21 (Ref:105895)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Very overdue, Congratulations Sir Jackie!

I think he would have been honoured long ago if he hadn't lived abroad so much. But now he has got it and I have no doubt that he is so proud that he is fit to repeat the tears of Monaco when Rubens came second.

The only other man in F1 who deserves the Honour is Sid Watkins, perhaps we should get a campaign going.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:46 (Ref:105979)   #8
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah sid watkins should get a knighthodd - hes saved wot countless lives.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:50 (Ref:105980)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to JYS - he thoroughly deserves it for all he has done for the sport.

Old 16 Jun 2001, 22:10 (Ref:105990)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well deserved. To say the least...
Old 17 Jun 2001, 07:36 (Ref:106084)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Congratulations Sir Stewart - well deserved

He joins my man Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss & Frank Williams. I have to ask though - The first two I can understand - But how did Frank beat him to it?

Well done Jackie
Old 17 Jun 2001, 12:33 (Ref:106144)   #12
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly deserved and about time too!

And I don't think there's anything cynical about this in a political sense at all. AFAIK JYS has never made any form of political pronouncement and it should be noted that this knighthood has come in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. That implies that there is some form of direct Royal approval for this knighthood, rather than the "Buggins turn" approach of political honours. It is well known that the Stewarts have been in the Princess Royal's social circle for many years and Stewart GP did employ Peter Phillips for a while.

IIRC Autosport had an "exclusive" in their New Year issue saying that JYS would be knighted in the New Year Honours list - it didn't happen then and at the time I put that down to Paul's illness and Jackie not wishing to be seen in the public eye when his son was still undergoing cancer therapy (bear in mind that recipients know about honours well before we do).

And I'll add my vote for Sid Watkins - it is perfectly possible for private UK citizens to nominate individuals for honours - anyone want to give it a go??
Old 18 Jun 2001, 07:44 (Ref:106356)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd go with Sir Sid anyday. Put me on the petition.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 09:57 (Ref:106390)   #14
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Jackie Stewart,
Excellent news and the great man deserves nothing less.
Always enjoy listening to what he has to say when he guest commentates in Australia.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 04:21 (Ref:106731)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Off topic, but seeing it mentioned made me think of it again, how is his son doing? I unfortuanately know people who have been dealing successfully with cancer this past year, and was simply wondering how he is coming along.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 08:09 (Ref:107231)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
djb, I am pretty sure that Paul Stewert has almost made a full recovery from cancer, which is good news.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 12:47 (Ref:107352)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what I've heard too. I think that Paul's keeping out of the public gaze and that "no news is good news".

As for the timing of this excellent knighthood, I can't help thinking it's about 25 years overdue. After all, if you are the manager of a popular football team, all you have to do, it seems, is to write a dozen cheques for a million quid, and allow the soccer players you bought to do the work for you. Knighthood in the post at the end of the season.

It took Sir Jackie three world championships, a second career in broadcasting, a dabbling in being a captain of industry, and creating a whole new motor racing team to get the same recognition.

Sid Watkins and John Surtees next, please. I expect if we start the campaign now we shall hear of it in around 2017.

I hope to hear of a knighthood for Damon Hill shortly after his third Nobel Peace Prize...