Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2001, 13:36 (Ref:108268)   #26
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO: finally someone lists Laguna Seca for the US GP. The F1 track at Indy could not have been more boring to watch last year. Aside from the bank, the spin TGF had, and the engine blowup of Hack, i was pretty much yawning all the way through....zzzzzzz

I'll see how silverstone is after the changes before i make a decision on the Brit GP.

The rest of the tracks are ok, although i agree with RussianFriend in that countries with more than one suitable track should alternate year to year.

my opinion of OVAL TRACKS?----> (_|_) :0
Old 22 Jun 2001, 13:37 (Ref:108269)   #27
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Hungaroring is not one of the tracks that is going to be replaced, I'll kill myself. I can't put up with many more boring Hungarian races. The Hungarian race can only stay if water is dumped onto the track before the start of the race - like Ferrari do at Fiorano - to make it more interesting
Old 22 Jun 2001, 14:25 (Ref:108283)   #28
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO - The pit-straight and first part of the Macau circuit is actually very wide, maybe wider than any part of any other circuit. The cars could easily do 200+ mph going into this part and promote good racing. Around the back, yeah it does get tight, but thats what circuits need in my opinion - variety. Too many of these modern, flat, stop-go circuits are surfacing like Magny Cours and Sepang.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 16:42 (Ref:108312)   #29
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bghaw
EERO: finally someone lists Laguna Seca for the US GP. The F1 track at Indy could not have been more boring to watch last year.
Ehh... but the Corkscrew is too dangerous and probably the F1 organizers impose to Laguna Seca modifications to made the circuit more safer!
Old 22 Jun 2001, 17:01 (Ref:108321)   #30
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

MFan, now I know you are daft. I realize that you have nostalgiac reasons for picking the site of Minardi's and Martini's greatest moment in F1.
I would choose Estoril as Martini and Minardi' greatest moment.

And EERO, my calendar wasn't what i would like, put rather what i think could happen, after the tobacco ban, as Bernie said he would like to do only 5 races in Europe, revolving them round. Personally, I'd like Watkin's Glen, Brand's Hatch, Jerez, Adelaide and Enna, but it ain't gonna happen
Old 22 Jun 2001, 17:48 (Ref:108335)   #31
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to disappoint some of you, but as long as Mad Max is FIA president Jerez will never host a GP again:

"Unbeknown to many at the time, there was a major hassle in that a local personality had muscled his way onto the podium, and afterwards, Max Mosley swore to local officials that Jerez would never host another Grand Prix. True to his word, he's right; it hasn't."

As for Phoenix, I've played it on F1GP and it's awful.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 18:27 (Ref:108357)   #32
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 - Australian, Melbourne
2 - Brazilian, Interlagos (before it was shortened)
3 - South African, Kyalami
4 - Dutch, Assen
5 - Spanish, Jerez
6 - Monaco, Monte Carlo
7 - European, Donington Park
8 - Canadian, Mosport
9 - French, Paul Ricard
10 - British, Silverstone
11 - German, Sachenring
12 - Africas, Welkom
13 - Pacific, Fuji
14 - Italian, Mugello
15 - American, Indy
16 - Japanese, Suzuka
17 - Czech, Brno
18 - Asian, Sugo
19 - Belgian, Zolder
20 - World, Spa Francorchamps
Old 22 Jun 2001, 19:03 (Ref:108373)   #33
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MEKOLA: yes the corkscrew is a challenging corner, but if the cars and/or the drivers can't handle it, they have no right to be on the track then. Touring cars, GT cars etc. all race there. F1 wouodn't be F1 - the epitome or pinnacle of motor racing - if they can't handle that one corner. F1 is supposed to be interesting and challenging. DAMN the FIA if don't choose Laguna Seca for THAT one reason.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 19:52 (Ref:108382)   #34
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As for the Corkscrew, CART can handle it, The old fire breatin' Can Am cars could handle it and Vintage F1 ars handle it during the Monterey Historics. Even TGF could handle it.
Badoerfan, I see your point, but I still question Minardifan's choice of Phoenix.

I will also add that I believe Bernie's state mission to diminsih the number of European GP's to be terribley misguided. And I'm not even European.

Dubai or South Korea rather than The UK or two races in Germany is a sign that Bernie's greed is starting to affect his judgement. I acknowledge the purpose of your post, I just don't agree with Bernie's premise.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 02:17 (Ref:108495)   #35
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
EERO - I disagree. I feel as though Formula One must expand. Whether that means having 20 races, I don't know. But f1 should be considered the world's pinnacle of motorsports. For that to happen, it must be visible all over the world. However, Bernie must also remember that it is Europe that props up f1, and therefore Europe must continue to be the centre of f1. This is the reason that we must remove races where there are two in a country, and also silly GPs like at the Hungaroring.

Hakkiman - You're obviously a big fan of the bikes. Assen, Sachsenring, Welkom, Brno, Sugo. None of these would be good racing circuits for cars. For bikes, they are excellent, but not cars.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 16:04 (Ref:108634)   #36
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
EERO - I disagree. I feel as though Formula One must expand.
Why?

To paraphrase the old album title 50,000,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong. F1 has an enormous fan base now. How much bigger can it get?

Why go to Dubai? There's nothing there, gobs of money perhaps, but no fan base and the sand would play havoc with the cars.

Why go to Korea? The economy is in shambles and the population isn't so great.

Why go to China? Okay, so there's that huge population to consider, a growing economy and NO tradtion of motorsports.

Why go back to Mexico? It was such a great success in the past after all...

Why go to Indy in the US when more likely support for F1 is to be found on the coasts. With Montreal within driving distance to the U.S. Northeast, why didn't Bernie choose Chris Pook's West Coast options?

Why go to Russia? (Sorry Russian Fan) but I really don't understand that one. St. Petersburg perhaps due to its proximity to the Baltic states, but Moscow will be problematic.

What I don't understand is with the impending Total ban on Tobacco scheduled for 2006, why expand in the interim into countries which still allow cig adverts with the likelyhood that F1 WILL consolidate in its traditional base after 2006.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 05:31 (Ref:108914)   #37
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Why go to Dubai?
Why go to Korea?
Why go to China?
Why go back to Mexico?
Why go to Russia?
Why not go to India?
Old 24 Jun 2001, 08:29 (Ref:108932)   #38
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
EERO - if you look at my suggested calendar, I have only included Russia and China from your suggestions. Dubai (too much sand), Korea and Mexico do not need to or will not host races. I also included South Africa.

Don K - India is a possibility for future races, and I highlighted this in my original post.

The reason f1 should expand is that every other sport (all of f1's competitors - including other forms of motor sports) in the world is expanding. If f1 doesn't also expand and confirm its position at the pinnacle of motor sports, then it is certainly in danger of losing spectators, and subsequently sponsors.

Besides, what is wrong with including the rest of the world in f1? I can't see any real problems, other than greedy Europeans not wanting to share. Then, the world champions can truly say they are the WORLD champion.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 10:51 (Ref:108961)   #39
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really think it never will come out of Europe that much...
Old 26 Jun 2001, 19:20 (Ref:110046)   #40
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw something interesting on SkyTV Fastrax programme.Mikka driving McLaren on streets of Kiev,Ukrane.Could this be a possibility for a GP?
Old 27 Jun 2001, 01:52 (Ref:110162)   #41
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
No, just a chance to promote "West" cigarettes in Eastern Europe.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 06:34 (Ref:110192)   #42
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Why go to China? Okay, so there's that huge population to consider, a growing economy and NO tradtion of motorsports.

Why go to Russia? (Sorry Russian Fan) but I really don't understand that one. St. Petersburg perhaps due to its proximity to the Baltic states, but Moscow will be problematic.

EERO,

realy, I would prefer Sankt-Peterburg by myself (close to Finland, a lot of space for the circuit). But economic of the city is worse then in Moscow.

regarding the racing tradition, let us just start. Now we have the team in F3000, who knows what's after...

Don't think that Chineses are not erady to watch F1. Japan is racing country, why Chine can't be? Just because they spent some times being Communists? In ten year the difference will disapprear.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 09:37 (Ref:110221)   #43
mac
Veteran

Russian Friend, you make it sound like China were off on a lovely holiday. "Oh, the Chinese went away and spent a little bit of time in Communism."
Old 27 Jun 2001, 11:00 (Ref:110227)   #44
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget we have shared this holiday: very nice service (almost free), but they don't provide Smorgasbord (you may choose one of one). And all enterprises are time-tabled and you must take a part.