Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1094418)   #76
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally though, I thought it is not completely related to the displacement of the engine. But rather the physical size of the casted block. The 427 that's been in the C5R is still a small block as it is still based on the 350....
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1094576)   #77
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, the CART engine is a totally differant one. It was talking about the IRL Cosworth. That's the last time I'm ever going back on my word that I will never repsond to your posts. Every time I talk to you it's always some mouthy clarification process, which I find boring.

RM40, I assure you I didn't outscoop anybody, I thought this to be common knowledge. If I had known I would one day have to prove it, I would have remembered my orignal source, although do believe it to be Motortrend TV. Did a quick Google search, of which I found this quote on webwombat.com:

"Breathing life into the C6 will be GM's LS2-designated mill, essentially a 6.0-litre small block V8 based on the Gen IV family of engines."

Everyone knows that the Gen IV is the name GM entered the Cosworth as in the IRL. So, unless there are two Gen IVs, there you have it. I am in no way implying that Cosworth is putting their engines in the C6. Also know, that I'm making some assumptions here, but at least I got a quote.

Also, the LS series is not that old, this will really be only the second engine that carries the LS name since I've been alive. The C4 engines were called LT1s, and those made their way into the Firebird and Camaro, like the LS1 in the GTO (Menaro). The LS6 was the same design as the LS1, only with more kick, don't ask me how, because I'm ignorant to all of the methods used to make an engine faster. Since the engine is of differant origins, I guess that's why it's an LS2 instead of an LS1.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1094586)   #78
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LS2 is an evolution of the LS1, while the LS7 is an evolution of the LS6, as I know it. Again, I don't know how a 3.0L engine could be the basis for the new 6.0L LS2. I don't think the block would be big enough, nor strong enough, to bore out 3L of displacement. I do understand, however, that maybe they did some R&D and used some concepts from that engine on the evolution of the LS1, aka the LS2. But I doubt they'd take some R&D from the 3.0L Gen IV high-revving engine and used it in the 6.0L, torque-y engine of the LS2. If anything, they took information from the Katech C5-R 427 smallblock engine and carried it over to the LS2 smallblock.

Last edited by RM40; 13 Sep 2004 at 01:35.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1094591)   #79
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Everyone knows that the Gen IV is the name GM entered the Cosworth as in the IRL. So, unless there are two Gen IVs, there you have it.
I think there are two Gen IV engines.
1. The Chev badged Cosworth racing engine for IRL - not designed for road, or road racing use.
2. The next gen from the Gen III small block... which features some tricks like Displacement on Demand - a system that deactivates four of the eight cylinders when extra power is not needed.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/trailblazer/5300.jsp

So yes, that's the answer... there are two Gen IV engines.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1094592)   #80
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be that the LS2's actual engine block is, shall we say, a larger scale representation of the GenIV block? I thought the spec displacement of the IRL was 3.5L. I have seen the words Gen IV and LS2 together so many times, it IS a relative of the Cosworth. Can you disprove me?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:46 (Ref:1094593)   #81
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Bob, the CART engine is a totally differant one. It was talking about the IRL Cosworth. That's the last time I'm ever going back on my word that I will never repsond to your posts. Every time I talk to you it's always some mouthy clarification process, which I find boring.

RM40, I assure you I didn't outscoop anybody, I thought this to be common knowledge. If I had known I would one day have to prove it, I would have remembered my orignal source, although do believe it to be Motortrend TV. Did a quick Google search, of which I found this quote on webwombat.com:

"Breathing life into the C6 will be GM's LS2-designated mill, essentially a 6.0-litre small block V8 based on the Gen IV family of engines."

Everyone knows that the Gen IV is the name GM entered the Cosworth as in the IRL. So, unless there are two Gen IVs, there you have it. I am in no way implying that Cosworth is putting their engines in the C6. Also know, that I'm making some assumptions here, but at least I got a quote.

Also, the LS series is not that old, this will really be only the second engine that carries the LS name since I've been alive. The C4 engines were called LT1s, and those made their way into the Firebird and Camaro, like the LS1 in the GTO (Menaro). The LS6 was the same design as the LS1, only with more kick, don't ask me how, because I'm ignorant to all of the methods used to make an engine faster. Since the engine is of differant origins, I guess that's why it's an LS2 instead of an LS1.
Whether you answer me or not is irrelevant but your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of knowledge.

CART had decided to adopt a NA 3.5 liter formula, Ford built an engine for it.
CART killed the formula.
When Chevy's in-house Indy engine was lacking, Ford agreed to let Cosworth sell them the now pointless CART 3.5 engines.
The 3 liter version is called the fourth generation GM Indy engine.

The LT-1 was the last generation of the orginal mouse engine.
The new LS series is call fourth generation even thugh is has near zero compatability with the mouse motor. GM is still run by clueless penny pinchers.

I would advise you to do more serious reading, including the history of the US auto industry, before you continue to make assumptions.

Quote:
Every time I talk to you it's always some mouthy clarification process, which I find boring.
If the truth bores you, then keep on doing things the way you are.
We all misquote or simply are wrong at times but you seem to think that calling an apple an orange is close enough because they are both round, well almost round, well they have curved parts on them....

Bob

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 13 Sep 2004 at 01:50.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1094635)   #82
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
Generally though, I thought it is not completely related to the displacement of the engine. But rather the physical size of the casted block. The 427 that's been in the C5R is still a small block as it is still based on the 350....
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...ine_heads.html

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/

http://www.keithblack.com/

The above are for pounetbf.

Yes it is actually about the bore-spacing.

Some of the GM "big blocks" were actually nothing more than tall-deck small blocks, which is why some call them intermediate blocks.
When Pontiac wanted its own genuine Trans-Am engine, it used a shaved-deck version of its 400 which was the same block as the 455.
The SCCA did not accept it but NASCAR's Grand-Am pony car series did.

Oldsmobile was always hampered by its small bore-spacing, which is why when they again got serious they produced the DRCE which had even larger bore-spacing than a Chevy MkIV big-block.
The DRCE is now the basis for many hi-perfornace after market engine blocks. Most parts between it and the Chevy Big-block are not interchangeble.

This is just a incomplete explanaton of what is what, but it gives the general idea.

Bob
Old 23 Sep 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1104730)   #83
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe

[...]

The above are for pounetbf.

[...]
Thanks a lot Bob

So basically the US car manufacturer, to get the needed range of displacements, have 2 V8 blocks, with different bore spacing (and probably different stroke). So when they wants a "middle" displacement they can choose to "overbore" a small block or to "underbore" a big block.
Small block will be lighter, but more limited
Old 2 Oct 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1113432)   #84
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
sorry, fire. pics gone. - p-c

Last edited by paul-collins; 2 Oct 2004 at 19:56.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1113494)   #85
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow great looking car, keep it black GM!!!
Old 6 Oct 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1116507)   #86
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LS6 is a different block, heads, and intake. That's where the extra kick comes from. The block has little "windows" to allow some type of venitlation in the cylnder bores I believe. The heads are very different. The combustion chambers have more of a "D" shape than a heart shape. The exhaust ports are also D shaped, and the intake ports are a little wider. Intake ports on LS1/6 heads are strange looking if you are used to traditional small blocks. They have an odd cross section and are far taller than they are wide. The intake manifold is also completely different and makes a great upgrade for and engine with LS1 heads, while an LS1 intake will choke an LS6 or an LS1 with LS6 heads. The heads are able to support a more aggressive cam as well. BTW, the LS1/6 and the GM Vortec truck engines are all considered GenIII small blocks and part swapping and compatibility is excellent.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 03:30 (Ref:1116511)   #87
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, there is no reason to believe the IRL block would be any relation to the C5-R block or any GenIII and now GenIV block for that matter. The IRL block is DOHC while the C5-R is a production based (because the rules require it) push rod engine with the cam inside the block. There should be no relation whatsoever between the two.