Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1120353)   #1
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WorldFeed woes: Fuji TV

The concept of local Worldfeed coverage/direction showed it's worst side today. Fuji TV turned what may have been a reasonable race into TakoVision. In their blatant nationalism they ignored the best parts of the race to show Taku rubbing his shoulder (and other such nonsense).

FOM (aka Bernie) uses this method to play-off one broadcaster against another in order to maximise his profits. Consequently the local TV directors, accustomed to covering a wide range of programs, know nothing about racing. How many times have we seen this recently ? Plenty ! (it's not just a FujiTV problem; they're just the worst example)

We need a production crew with F1 experience and racing "situational awareness". Homeboy-ism has no place in the coverage. Is there any wonder F1 enthusiasm is on the wane ? Get on with it, Bernie.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1120354)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think they were particularly showing Sato too much. They just missed everything. An overtaking move would be starting on the screen and the camera man would decide to keep on the guy in hte background.

In addition quite often the best battle, or most likely move was ignored.

There was no effort to show replays from another angle or in car.

I would actually put this appalling coverage down to ineptitude rather than showing Sato too much.

Bernie? Well he would like to have all the races covered by one production company. However his efforts to achieve this are scuppered by the contracts that are in place (which he put in place). For once Bernie has come off worse in a deal here and because that has happened we are suffering. This one isn't down to Bernie not "getting on with it". However there is plenty of other stuff for you to hate him
Old 10 Oct 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1120355)   #3
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I don't think they were particularly showing Sato too much. They just missed everything. An overtaking move would be starting on the screen and the camera man would decide to keep on the guy in hte background.

In addition quite often the best battle, or most likely move was ignored.

There was no effort to show replays from another angle or in car.

I would actually put this appalling coverage down to ineptitude rather than showing Sato too much.

Bernie? Well he would like to have all the races covered by one production company. However his efforts to achieve this are scuppered by the contracts that are in place (which he put in place). For once Bernie has come off worse in a deal here and because that has happened we are suffering. This one isn't down to Bernie not "getting on with it". However there is plenty of other stuff for you to hate him
I agree, I didn't think it was overexposure of Sato but rather the ability to miss much of everything else.
It wasn't fantastic coverage but, in contrast, it wasn't as bad as the Renault-fest we had at France this year.
Any bad coverage does seem to be more memorable than good coverage, for the obvious wrong reasons.
Hopefully next year will be better.

Last edited by Son of Jor-El; 10 Oct 2004 at 15:39.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1121178)   #4
nomy
Rookie

nomy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good race, but the coverage was awful, let's not water it down.

Apart from completely missing the Sato/Button swap and the collision between RB and DC, and switching to something trivial every time the camera found something interesting, they totally ignored Button to the extent I was convinced it was a snub at him - by the super patriotic Japanese coverage - for him wanting to leave the Honda driven team. The only time Button was on camera was when Sato was also in shot. They gave a brief token shot of him towards the end, but that was it.

Along with the poor visual coverage, the ITV commentary, as usual, just leaves me pining for good old Murray. From early on it was clear to anyone that the race for 2nd place was going to be between Button and Ralph due to their different strategies. This was only finally picked up on towards the end. Then when the final placings were to be decided on Buttons last pit stop they cut to a waffling Webber interview! Aggghh! Get some passion back ITV.

I despair.

Out of interest, was the qualifying actually shown? I knew about the threat to the race due to the typhoon, so on Saturday night I scanned the tv listings for the morning and didn't see anything apart from the race at 6am. Did I miss something? If they didn't show it, then was it really necessary for them to go on and on about how exciting the race day package had been?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1121196)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Particularly inexcusable was missing the collision between Barrichello and Coulthard. Not even an action replay.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1121198)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FOM will be doing Brazil coverage, thankfully.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1121513)   #7
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: WorldFeed woes: Fuji TV

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceFreak

We need a production crew with F1 experience and racing "situational awareness". Homeboy-ism has no place in the coverage. Is there any wonder F1 enthusiasm is on the wane ? Get on with it, Bernie.
u are so right! But China was pretty good....!? Wasn't it?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1121558)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
raul_iulian, please check your Private Messages. You have one from a few days ago and it is still relevant.

There is no need for needless bashing. We are here to discuss not to just put people down.

In addition can you refrain from using txt lanagage (as set out in the forum rules).
Old 11 Oct 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1121563)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: WorldFeed woes: Fuji TV

Quote:
Originally posted by raul_iulian
u are so right! But China was pretty good....!? Wasn't it?
FOM did China
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1122261)   #10
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where/how Montoya passed Raikkonen? Would like to have seen that!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1122344)   #11
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speed Channel showed the qualifying at 10:30 pm Eastern. There were some squirrly laps going on; JPM, JV were on the edge, RB missed a corner and MW impressed in the Jag.

As for the race coverage, it was so bad it was laughable. I think we missed every single significant overtake? Geez, even though Sato was being highlighted we even missed him overtaking, cept for a few back markers. F1 does not need it's product look worse (much worse) than it is and hopefully Bernie will act on that quickly.

Last edited by Kirk; 12 Oct 2004 at 16:26.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 01:46 (Ref:1122795)   #12
speedy_sam
Rookie

speedy_sam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopeless ... I felt like throwing the remote at the TV several times out of frustration.... there were too manty shots of empty pits instead of racing and where were the onboards apart from showing Sato's helmet.

As for the frequent telecast break-ups ... well I can cut them some slack as they must have been dealing with severly waterlogged equipment.

But overall - the worst of the year ...

Last edited by speedy_sam; 13 Oct 2004 at 01:49.