Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1332430)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George and Bernie losing it

I need to vent.

Its simply crazy. The most popular form of racing in the world in the biggest commercial market in the world and the race is shown on an obscure cable network in the US? In Minneapolis I need digital cable to watch the race.

Get the race on ABC CBS or NBC. Most Americans have never heard of the speed channel. Very sad...
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1332433)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I hear ya. And tsn here in Canada? Golf.. For the love of God - GOLF!
Old 18 Jun 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1332475)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
I need to vent.

Its simply crazy. The most popular form of racing in the world in the biggest commercial market in the world and the race is shown on an obscure cable network in the US? In Minneapolis I need digital cable to watch the race.

Get the race on ABC CBS or NBC. Most Americans have never heard of the speed channel. Very sad...

I see your point, however I think most racing fans here would have to subscribe to Speed for F1, Nascar, Truck racing, MotoGP, etc etc there seem's little choice if one is to see all the races..It's costs me an extra $20.00 per month which I feel is pretty cheap really.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1332477)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd have thought CBS would have picked Indy as one of the four races they're showing this year.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1332478)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
You'd have thought CBS would have picked Indy as one of the four races they're showing this year.
The coverage is so lame on CBS compared to the Speed channel, where you have guys that know what they are talking about.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1332546)   #6
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its pretty shortsided for Ecclestone to put the race on cable, he owns the television rights so ultimately he makes the call. You have to build interest in the sport. It might mean paying for some of the production costs, like Champ Car does in America but so what? Its not like F1 is in financial straits. It could pay big dividends in the future. And I would like F1 to survive somewhere in the states. No Indy no F1 race. At least for many years.

If American racing fans know something other than NASCAR its the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Most will not even know its on TV.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1332560)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scheduling needs to be addressed too - CART and NASCAR should not be racing on the same weekend as the US Grand Prix.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1332565)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I don't understand why CBS would show Canada and not the USGP. I would imagine that the USGP would get a larger viewing audience than showing Canada on CBS, beats me..Bernie knows I would think it's money.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1332617)   #9
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie was complaining that Tony has not done enough marketing. TV coverage is a large part of marketing.

Having said that there is not a lot of local notice of the race. It seems less than other years. Now what if the Michelin teams don't run?

I wonder if Bernie and Tony are heading for trouble.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1332772)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I don't think Tony does anything to promote the race nationwide, he must be more than happy to have the 400 500 and the UGP all at Indie. Bernie Ecclestone is just greedy let's face it.. It was not that long ago when ESPN broadcast all of the F1 races, now you have to buy an extra sports package to get The Speed Channel. Most TV viewers will be watching Nascar.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1332784)   #11
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's too bad that the Long Beach circuit was sold. Formula One could have reinvented itself there had it been controlled by F1-friendly owners, as it seems that Formula One is coming third on the list of priorities for Tony George, behind the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1334132)   #12
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a shame that F1 is relegated to the Speed channel in the US for the vast majority of the season. The Speed channel is not even part of the standard cable package in the New York City area--obviously by far the largest TV market in the USA. Speed's coverage is great but F1 simply needs to be on a channel that more people have access to. Also, since Speed is an obscure channel watched only by hardcore racing fans, most people who watch that channel probably would watch F1 races regardless of what channel they were on. However, if F1 races were on a network or a popular cable channel such as ESPN, via promotions by the network, it would be able to reach a larger audience by exposing its existence to a larger group of people.

Another problem with Speed is that it often shows F1 races live. That is good but it should also re-broadcast them at noon or 1 o'clock, at times most people are awake. Only hardcore F1 fans will wake up at 7 AM to watch a F1 race. Obviously recording the race is another option but that is also one that only hardcore F1 fans would choose. A race at noon or 1 o'clock on Speed would attract casual F1 fans as well.