Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Nov 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1456191)   #26
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think that is straying a little off the subject matter numbersix...
Old 9 Nov 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1456315)   #27
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm. Ok. Point taken.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1456326)   #28
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry that I seem to have been portrayed as a moaning Mini who just sits around on his bottom critisising those noble souls who sacrifice their free time on our behalf. I don't know, maybe they're right, but I speak as I find. In the 3 years since I got that E mail from George Copeland, the only changes I'VE seen in our lot is:
Less cars
Less luch-breaks
Metal-box marshal's huts, just big enough for me, let alne anyone's bags that revererate to the track sounds, meaning phone conversations are impossible
Less marshals...QED

Well, the BMMC AGM is at Mallory? REal handy for 5% of the marshals. How about holding it at the GP or Goodwood? Then you might get a more representative turn-out!

I'm not anti BMMC or the committee, far from it, I've had many conversations with Peter Roberts when we did the Isle of Mann, but come on chaps, blow your own trumpet a bit. Tell us what's changed, not "We've got ANOTHER working party to go to!"

And as for the phones on posts...can we have headsets for them. I bought one in the states last year for my BT line for $10.00 last year!
Old 9 Nov 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1456336)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We have a particular problem here, in that our representatives can only acheive what we want them to if the organisers, clubs and circuits are willing to do it. Part of that involves said bodies understanding there is a problem, never mind what the problem is.

We all know. We discuss it here and on the bank at length. I'm sure the committee members do too. Only by having evidence can they then present it back to the organisers, etc. On that basis, I see the results of the survey as positive. It confirms what we think anyway, so the message can go back that it's not just hearsay, a proper survey confirms it. Strike one to the BMMC. Whether they can acheive any more strikes depends entirley on anyone giving a damn now the survey is done, but I can be sure of this: lack of acheivement is not going to be as a result of lack of effort. That anyone is even prepared to try such a thankless and frustrating task is deserving of my full support.

Good on you, Chris, Stephen, George et al.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1456623)   #30
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Sorry, but it seems quite fair to me. I think that the item to e-mail John Symes about the safety factors on Marshals Posts is reasonable. We wouldhope that Marshals Posts could be seriously included on the Track Licences, which would mean the Circuit Owners would have to act. Most Circuits have improved conditions marginally, over the last few months, but others, although showing willingness, have still to get out the JCB's and Builders!!

No, I wasn't on about that bit, I will do some quotes asap
Old 10 Nov 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1456896)   #31
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is "The Marshal" available on line somewhere so that those of us who live and marshal in the "Colonies" can have a read.

It's amazing that the problems are usually the same no matter which end of this world we live on you happen to be on.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1456985)   #32
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Is "The Marshal" available on line somewhere so that those of us who live and marshal in the "Colonies" can have a read.

Try HERE

Thats http://www.blencolour.com/motorsport...ue18_Nov05.pdf
Old 10 Nov 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1457259)   #33
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
I've marshalled in about 7 countries, including extensively in the western USA and British Columbia and it both heartening and gauling to find out how similar our situations are. I'm sure that if I set off to marshal in say, South Africa or Australia, I would ebcounter the salf-same issues. Is any attempt made to "Internationalize" the Marshal's Club by formal links to, say CAMS, SCCA, META et al?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1457784)   #34
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
I've marshalled in about 7 countries, including extensively in the western USA and British Columbia and it both heartening and gauling to find out how similar our situations are. I'm sure that if I set off to marshal in say, South Africa or Australia, I would ebcounter the salf-same issues. Is any attempt made to "Internationalize" the Marshal's Club by formal links to, say CAMS, SCCA, META et al?
You'd be better off talking to marshal group direct down under rather than CAMS who is only a governing body as such. Here's a list of marshal groups you could try;
Victoria Flag Marshalling Team
PIARC (Phillip Island Auto Racing Club- Victorian based)
SAMROA (South Australia)
QMROA (Queensland)
ARDC (NSW)

There's heaps more and no doubt will be posted by others, those above have web sites so "Google" to find them.

And to Chris Roden, thanks for the link, made interesting reading
Old 11 Nov 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1458398)   #35
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoowert,

BMMC has no official links with other organisations outside the UK.

Officially, any marshal wanting to marshal overseas has to go via the MSA to gain authorisation - Allan Dean-Lewis is the man to contact.

At present I am concentrating ny efforts on what is happening within the borders of the UK - once I am happy that we have that on the right road I will take the opportunity to expand our international contacts.

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 11 Nov 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1458402)   #36
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slightly puzzled that Mallory is considered a poor location for the meeting - it is the most central circuit in the country!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1458404)   #37
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hate the logic that being central to the UK is best - its not the population centre - the South is - Birmingham is usually a pretty good location
Old 11 Nov 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1458415)   #38
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I can confirm that it is. And Mallory is (just about) the closest circuit to Birmingham. I suspect that the distribution of marshals around the UK is different to the distribution of the general population.

Apologies for taking this off topic.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1458942)   #39
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Thanks Chris for the MSA contact name.

I was just wondering about the formal links. As I said, our problems are so similar, a bit of world-wide agitation never did anyone any harm!

Still, I'll be doing my unofficaial bit when I turn up at Sebring and Le Mans. Although, the Le Mans post is all-English speaking, except for Michel Pomies!
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1459234)   #40
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
Officially, any marshal wanting to marshal overseas has to go via the MSA to gain authorisation - Allan Dean-Lewis is the man to contact.
I figured that if CAMS insisted I had one of their licences, then I would volunteer on that. The Marshals club may be working on my behalf, but I'm certain that the MSA has done nothing for me. To have to ask them for permission to volunteer to give my time for free doing something that I have lots of experience of despite their input while on a holiday paid for by myself... Forget it. I'm not going to ask them where I can go to eat, so I'm certainly not going to ask them where I can volunteer.

And for the record, Aussie marshals have the same complaints: An uninterested, interfering organising body, lack of appreciation, sign on time 2½ hours before the first session. They're also a great bunch. The least foreign I felt throughout the trip was the time I spent with the marshals.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1459241)   #41
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Chris, using the MSA means they get to let the other club know what grade you are and vouch that you are a bona-fida marshal. I have always found the MSA to be very helpfull on these occasions
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1459242)   #42
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nicely put Chris.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1459243)   #43
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Bah humbug.......I'm off to beddybyes...nighty night
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1459247)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Yeah, sorry, that came out more bitter than intended. I really meant, "It's a free world and if they're happy to take me...." Similarly, if someone is coming to me to volunteer, a recommendation from their organisation helps, but I wouldn't insist on it.

I was really suggesting that, as I'd always believed, the marshalling community is pretty much the same the world over, and a very friendly and welcoming bunch too with the best interests of the sport embedded in their souls.

If only the various 'official' bodies - from MSA to FIA and everyone in between would just understand that.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1460480)   #45
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Nah! I think the various bodies are convinced the world is populated by people who just want to watch racing for nothing, posing as marshals, and the best way to do it is to spend upwards of £350 quid in flying around the world - just for the hell of it!
I know I have!
Old 14 Nov 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1460508)   #46
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
WOOLLEY. Get Out Of My Head!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1461204)   #47
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In the 3 years since I got that E mail from George Copeland
I am sure it is not three years, probably half that!

It is a sense of frustration to all of us that so many of the points arising from The Marshal questionnaire still exist. These same points have been made over and over again during the past five years or so. However, it can do nothing but good in my view to have them aired again in The Marshal, since that publication, like Heineken, seems to reach parts Marshals' Club papers do not!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1461386)   #48
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
It WAS 3 years, but that's not the point. All these points get thrown around in various guises, from the MSA to BMMC to the circuit owners to the race clubs and back. THe end result: Very little action. I firmly believe the MSA MUST call a halt to this merry-go-round and force the circuit owners to upgrade their trach-side facilities to meet a large part, if not all of the issues raised. The way to do that? It's been mention above, make the marshal's posts subject to the circuit inspection! Simple! No need for any more navel-gazing quangos, just DO IT!
Now I really do need a lie down!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1461419)   #49
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It WAS 3 years, but that's not the point. All these points get thrown around in various guises, from the MSA to BMMC to the circuit owners to the race clubs and back. THe end result: Very little action. I firmly believe the MSA MUST call a halt to this merry-go-round and force the circuit owners to upgrade their trach-side facilities to meet a large part, if not all of the issues raised. The way to do that? It's been mention above, make the marshal's posts subject to the circuit inspection! Simple! No need for any more navel-gazing quangos, just DO IT!
Now I really do need a lie down!
I've only been contributing to Ten-Tenths since November 2003! However, as you say that is not the point. The point is that we simply do not get enough action on the points we raise - we are in agreement there!

Neither have we yet found the trigger that changes this situation. John Symes assures me that marshalling post facilities are looked at as part of the track inspection process and he asks in the same edition of The Marshal for any complaints to be sent to him - direct! Now's your chance!

To put the issue in perspective, though, I offer the following from a Marshallaneus News dated Summer 1963, "Another change in the March Bulletin (from the RACMSA) was that all officials' posts must be adequately protected". The editorial went on to say, "There are many badly sited and inadequately protected points on circuits and yet track licences have been renewed". Sound familiar?!?

I have several ideas how we might speed up the process but my Marshals' Club colleagues are keeping me sedated for now!!

All I would say to those who have deserted the Marshals' Club fold is that you have a better chance to help the effort from within the club rather than without. The more members we have the more clout we have as a completely independent, APOLITICAL organisation, acting for marshals and for marshals only in what has become a big-money sport.