Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Dec 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1474576)   #26
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best thing to do is be under 40. That's what I'm doing (for the time being).
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1474639)   #27
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am (in my head). Even have some of my own teeth
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1474644)   #28
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JohnW,
"A stress related ECG will be valid for two years" and will be needed again for the third year's licence - Comp. Licence notes 2.10.1
But as David said, "The Competition Licence must be issued within 6 months of the date of the medical" - 2.9.1
No, I don't see the logic, and I'm a doctor, dammit!

Your idea above, of a "MSA-Medical" clinic is very attractive. I think it would be acceptable for tests to be done by a trained nurse/technician, including the stress ECG, as long as the results are presented to a doctor (a cardiologist in respect of the ECG - 2.10.2) who sees the 'patient' to review them. Could get through a lot of tests that way!

BUT 1/. When would you do it? First meeting of the year? - too late to get the licence. AGM/drivers meeting/Xmas Dinner-dance for your series? Perhaps, if they can be dragged from the bar long enough.

BUT 2/. The Notes are not clear, but imply that the examination must be by the entrant's own GP - see 2.9.1, 2.9.3 and the application form 3.2, "Are you the applicant's usual doctor? Y/N". There is much to be said for this, if it is the MSA's intent, as a GP is best placed to know the pt's whole medical history.

BUT 3/ I fear that the expences of buying the kit (unless you are already a GP), paying the nurse/technician (at weekend/evening rates), travelling and, if in a hotel paying them for a room for the clinic as well as the doctor and nurse/technician, would mean that the doctor running it could not charge much less per medical than going to your GP. Doing stress related ECGs on site would be prohibitive, because of the cost of the treadmill.

JohnD(ammit)
Old 2 Dec 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1475407)   #29
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

At the risk of sounding smug....

Join the VSCC

Doctor members provide the medical at one of the events (this weekend as it happens) for a flat fee of £45, what's more no appointment is required, just turn up on the day.

As far as the Stress test ECG is concerned, nurses at a certain general hospital provide the service for us at a flat fee of £100. The nurses (heros!) do the job in their own time and proceeds are used to purchase heart monitors and support courses that are not funded by the NHS.

Everybody benefits
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1475436)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should point out that when I started this thread it was not to criticise the medical profession or the system although I must say its frustrating when you say !I want to pay you for this service" and the reply is. We don't do that here and the doctor (when you get the appointment) says "we do that in that room over there just ring up and set an appointment".

So I was lucky to get this done at all!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1475469)   #31
johnw
Veteran

England
Thanks for the fullsome response JohnD

Should point out to Peter that I wasn't critcising anyone personally, just complaining (I am a Brit after all) about the cost of, what seems to me, a simple process at the GP's which really doesn't require a doc.

I happily only see a doctor annually, rarely the same one (group practice), and then effectively run the test procedure to save his time. It really only takes 10 mins to do blood pressure, eye test, check limbs, assess mental stability (never know how I pass muster, given that I am applying for a licence to permit me to spend all my spare cash) urine sample and colour blindness test, in which this year I had to explain that we were actually looking at number 73 not 28 as the doc thought

Stress ECG every two years is indeed the requirement. Had the last one in March 05, so I'll try applying atthe end of 2006 and see if it gets through for a third year

I've rather assumed that the cardiologist (who incidentally sits and watches me sweat whilst consuming vast quantities of tea and biscuits) was there to revive me in the case of pump failure. At the last test, I had the kind attentions of a nurse, junior doctor and then the head honcho whilst I was moving. Very sociable, but entirely necessary?

My scrute bay comment was tongue in cheek, but now you have my attention. Our club spends plenty on driver hospitality, so buying a treadmill, pressure monitor (maybe we could modify a compression tester) and Stethescope (already in my toolbox to check for strange engine noises) would be easily possible. Just borrow an eye chart, check for colour with the marshals flags and buy the urine test strips from Boots and we are away. Fancy the job John?

The Dinner dance would be a great place for the ECG. I guess that I expend more energy trying to re-live my youth prancing about to "Brown Sugar" than I do on the treadmill.

However, if we all join the VSCC ?
How much to be able to sound smug, Chris
Old 2 Dec 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1475557)   #32
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
However, if we all join the VSCC ?
How much to be able to sound smug, Chris

£58, so you would still save a bundle based on the figures you quoted earlier, and, even better, you would be helping to fund the cost of heart monitors etc.

I'd say that was a win win

Last edited by Chris Roden; 2 Dec 2005 at 11:38. Reason: Inappropriate capital letter
Old 2 Dec 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1475904)   #33
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Would that be the VSCC where gentlemen choose willingly to race cars with no roll cages, safety harnesses, plumbed in fire extinguishers or any of the other equipment which has been deemed necessary to save life and limb. Guess their doctor doesn't check the "full mental capacity" bit
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1475947)   #34
johnw
Veteran

England
Sound plan Chris. I'll push it around the club.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1476009)   #35
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JohnW,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not a cardiologist, though I can read an ECG! I could not provide an authenticated report on a stress ECG.

Just to explain: the cardiologist will report on the ECG, but like any senior professional, they will spend rather more time managing their service than actually providing it: how many civil engineers dig holes? The will or conveyance that your solicitor discusses with you will be drawn up by a junior or an articled clerk.
A trained nurse is fully capable of doing the test - and starting to resuscitate you if necessary! - and the junior is supernumery, there to learn by doing. I have no doubt that Dr.X is capable of doing the ECG himself. Maybe a test on a healthy (I hope) driver, who is more interesting to talk to than the usual series of cardiopaths, is a bit of light relief for the poor guy from the overloaded clinics and the round of meetings with non-clinical managers, that is the lot of most consultants. Or as you are, I expect, a 'private' patient, he feels that the honourable thing is to be there himself, but he prefers to ask the nurse to do the technical bits that they, not he, do every day. I hope he pays her.

I'm most interested in the 'scrute bay' clinic that the VSCC organises. Gives me ideas, though the age profile of my usual series is a bit too young for many punters.
JohnD