Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1498142)   #76
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gilles Villeneuve
Larry Perkins
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna
Wayne Gardner (Original 500cc Helmet)
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1498705)   #77
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Hated Gilles'. Random shapes of dark colour, difficult to distinguish. Perry McCarthy's was based on his. Alesi's was based on de Angelis', Jean being a fan of Elio's. Coulthard was not the first with a saltire helmet, check out Gerry Birrell.
Gilles design was a shaped V (Villeneuve), even if it was not so clear to "read".
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1498721)   #78
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Does this count....

http://www.seatcupra.net/users/andyb...lmets_main.jpg

Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1498748)   #79
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312T4
Gilles design was a shaped V (Villeneuve), even if it was not so clear to "read".
You could only see the V if you were standing behind him. Better for snowmobile racing. Although he used to use one in Hamilton Academical-esque red and white hoops, which was distinctive and effective.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1498750)   #80
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You could only see the V if you were standing behind him. Better for snowmobile racing. Although he used to use one in Hamilton Academical-esque red and white hoops, which was distinctive and effective.
Like this
Old 10 Jan 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1498850)   #81
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought Olivier Grouillard had a cool design, same goes for Mike Thackwell.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1498865)   #82
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Alesi's helmet, Julian Bailey's and Damon and Graham Hill's helmet.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1498959)   #83
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nelson Piquet
Old 10 Jan 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1498967)   #84
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not bagging Anthony Davidson, because i know a lot of helmet designs look similar. But i always thought AD had a quite unique helmet design and must have designed it himself. But ealier in this thread i looked at Eddie Cheevers helmet and i realised where Ant got the idea from.

http://www.justherm.com/images/chevsmhelml.jpg

http://lancenet.ig.com.br/clubes/f15...t_davidson.gif

Is there any connection between the two? I mean has Ant ever stated that he was a fan of Cheever or that he just liked Cheevers design and used a modified version of it?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1498971)   #85
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Davidson was a fan of Cheever's helmet and copied it. He's definitely mentioned it in an interview. Laurent Redon is another Cheever-inspired design.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1498986)   #86
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
Wayne Gardner (Original 500cc Helmet)
The white and blue scheme?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1498999)   #87
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, and it had a red stripe. I think he rode with a reverse version aswell white/red with a blue stripe a couple of times.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1499174)   #88
FREE996
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon Wiltshire
FREE996 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
The white and blue scheme?
Always prefered Doohans scheme

Again non F1 but Paul Tracy's from Cart is good

And of course Whithams from 1996
Old 11 Jan 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1499189)   #89
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Greg Moore's was a nice design too (think ryan Lewis modelled his on that?)
Old 11 Jan 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1499197)   #90
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like Patrick Friesacher's helmet - looks more like a motorcyclist's than a single seater driver's.

http://www.formule2.com/data/media/5...esacher_01.JPG

I always thought Frentzen's helmet was simple but effective too.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1499609)   #91
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a fan of the nice simple style designs over a lot of modern ones. My faves probably include Senna, Damon/Graham Hill, Mansell, Piquet, Alesi, also like Adrian Campos and Esteban Tuero quite a bit...
Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1499966)   #92
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Senna...

Distinctive and almost like a brand.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1501205)   #93
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Davidson was a fan of Cheever's helmet and copied it. He's definitely mentioned it in an interview. Laurent Redon is another Cheever-inspired design.
No Redon copied Davidson's to be exact...I designed Davidson's way back in 1988, I was a graphic artist doing cars graphics and helmets, I wanted a design that was destinctive and easy to pick out on the go-kart track...white stood out the best and as he had blue leather overalls with yellow stars down the sleeves and legs I put a star each side and on the front. In 1990 I added blue bands to link the stars up and match the blue from the overalls...maybe I had Cheevers basic design in my subconcious?...Dunno! But AD has accused me ever since of just copying Cheevers and said so just to 'wind me up' in Autosport when they used to feature a helmet design each week in their magazine.

Over the years Ant has dropped the front star and added the red lines around the blue bands and has had the stars changed from yellow through gold to the current 3D effect in silver. The helmets have painted by a chap called Martin and by BAR themselves and now by Bell Helmets which the sharp eyed might have noticed hes just changing to after years of being supplied by Arai.

Whatever the overall effect is Red White and Blue national colours displayed in a distinctive way.

It is correct that Cheevers colours...half red and half blue with a white star dividing the two background colours represent the state flag of Arizona...it's also the North Vietnamese communist national flag! But I dont think they copied it from Arizonia's Hahaha Nah truth is no design is unique it's all been done before...Hmmm or is that just the excuse of a bad designer with little imagination Doh!

I don't know about you guys but at test days I really struggle to tell whos in the cars these days...so for me the "Best crash helmet paint job" is the one that allows me to recognise the driver when he flashes past me at over 150mph!

Ironically it's now quite distinctive to have a plain helmet in just one colour!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1502372)   #94
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay, I've allways digged...

Colin Edwards' Old-Old design

Steve Hislop's last design

A simple one liike Fast-Eddie's (Plus the best looking 500cc monster full stop)

Ahh yes, and Christian Sarron's

And an old Go-Show and the New Go-Show
Old 16 Jan 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1502742)   #95
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
...now by Bell Helmets which the sharp eyed might have noticed hes just changing to after years of being supplied by Arai.
Did notice him testing with a black Bell helmet... DC tested one too, is he changing as well?

EDIT: no, DC still used an Arai on the last Jerez test...

Last edited by Jordi; 16 Jan 2006 at 23:20. Reason: correcting facts
Old 18 Jan 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1503485)   #96
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
However, it must be said that Kimi's helmet is rather like a motorbike racer's helmet.
Well that explains my love of Kimi's helmet then I guess - because firstly I guess I like my own bike helmet with 4 blue Quebec fleur de lis on it; secondly and in F1, I like Kimi's. Anywhere, I love diamonds..........

Tags
helmet painting