Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jan 2006, 04:38 (Ref:1497617)   #26
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, just bring back Murray. People complained about him making mistakes, but you don't know what you've got until they're gone.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1497700)   #27
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmifsud
Please, just bring back Murray. People complained about him making mistakes, but you don't know what you've got until they're gone.
I'd be very surprised if this was to happen given that Murray Walker is on record as saying that he wouldn't want to do a full season of F1 commentating. Still at least there is the programmes on Radio 5 to look forward to.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1497891)   #28
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Then it's quite simple really, have Murray to commentate on the European races and Edwards to commentate on the rest of the season, with Martin Brundle to partner both.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1497893)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its amazing how anything related 'f1 coverage' thread turns into a James Allen bashing fiesta...

anyway....good luck to Murray..... i think i will be listening to 5-live coverage a little more often this season...
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1498222)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
If only ITV could get the guys who do the Moto GP on Eurosport - some of the most passionate commentry around.... but I don't think cars are their thing unfortunately
And Suzi Perry as pitlane reporter
Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1499976)   #31
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpsteer
That's the best idea that's been posted on this subject for ages. Toby Moody and Julian Ryder are the best commentary team on TV.
I asked Julian, he said he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ..........it's far too boring.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1500241)   #32
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while ago I read that Ben Edwards was taking over on BBC R5.

Maybe if he's not now it means he could be heading towards ITV.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1500398)   #33
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
Someone fire James Allen. Please!!! Too mnay patronising comments. e.g WELL DONE FERNANDO ALONSO

Maybe James is going to commentate on the British Superbikes series on ITV?
Old 13 Jan 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1500405)   #34
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I'm not sure Ben Edwards would be a good commentator. I find his style rather bland and lacking in enthusiasm (and that goes for a lot of other commentators too). Whilst I also find James Allen fairly irritating from time to time, at least he displays a bit of passion for the sport (best example - Alonso round the outside of MS at 130R). Sure, occasionally it sounds a little forced, but by and large I think it's genuine. What he doesn't have is Murray's ability to make even a boring race interesting, because his style of commentating is more conversational (in my opinion). But having just dismissed a lot of other people's suggestion for who they'd like as a commentator, I'm afraid I don't have a better option.

On the subject of Radio 5, I did once watch a race with the sound off and the radio on. It didn't last, mainly because I was missing Martin Brundle and also because the radio commentary was just describing what I was seeing anyone. I think you have to have either one or the other, although don't get me wrong, the radio commentary was still excellent. I think David Croft will do a very good job (assuming he has some level of knowledge of the sport, of course).

(This is my first post in the F1 forum, so hello to everyone! It's great to have found somewhere to talk about this sort of thing).
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1502370)   #35
Zoidberg
Rookie

Zoidberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
And Suzi Perry as pitlane reporter
Suzi Perry + Moody, Ryder & Brundle + Fleetwood Mac = F1 bliss!!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1502463)   #36
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester
Personally, I'm not sure Ben Edwards would be a good commentator. I find his style rather bland and lacking in enthusiasm (and that goes for a lot of other commentators too). Whilst I also find James Allen fairly irritating from time to time, at least he displays a bit of passion for the sport (best example - Alonso round the outside of MS at 130R). Sure, occasionally it sounds a little forced, but by and large I think it's genuine. What he doesn't have is Murray's ability to make even a boring race interesting, because his style of commentating is more conversational (in my opinion). But having just dismissed a lot of other people's suggestion for who they'd like as a commentator, I'm afraid I don't have a better option.

On the subject of Radio 5, I did once watch a race with the sound off and the radio on. It didn't last, mainly because I was missing Martin Brundle and also because the radio commentary was just describing what I was seeing anyone. I think you have to have either one or the other, although don't get me wrong, the radio commentary was still excellent. I think David Croft will do a very good job (assuming he has some level of knowledge of the sport, of course).

(This is my first post in the F1 forum, so hello to everyone! It's great to have found somewhere to talk about this sort of thing).
I totally disagree about James Allen and his 'passion'. Yes he has passion but it makes me cringe. I often have to turn the volume down because he exaggerates his excitement too much.

I like Brundle though. I think he does a great job, and his insight as a former F1 driver is very helpful and informative.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1504361)   #37
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to lighten the mood in here a touch
http://www.stuartmiller.f2s.com/James_answers_back.htm
Old 19 Jan 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1504370)   #38
alf
Racer

alf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope he reads it
Old 19 Jan 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1504410)   #39
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only he could read it...I wonder how many emails ITV receives that are like that?!
Old 19 Jan 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1504638)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Closed. This thread isn't even about James Allen! It is getting rather nasty too - rather than constructive.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1504672)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
Can James Allen talk for one minute without giving yet another statistic?
There could be a 20% chance of that.