Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?
Holden One Tonner S 1 7.14%
Falcon Ute 4 28.57%
Falcon Futura wagon 3 21.43%
Holden Crewman 3 21.43%
Holden Adventra CX8 2 14.29%
Navara/Triton/Courier/Rodeo 4WD dual cab ute 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Jun 2004, 05:10 (Ref:1005492)   #51
Pirtek Racing
Racer

Pirtek Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get a ute, i have one, best wet weather vehicle, my longreach (XG) is going great, getting a hard tonneau on it and a re-spray soon, it'll look great
Old 21 Jun 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1011468)   #52
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just bought a VY 2 Berlina Wagon. Can be specified up to 2100kg towing capacity, but not with the sports suspension .

Tow my race car quite nicely even though it is a V6 and a cargo barrier will stop anything hitting you in the back of the head in a sudden stop.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 03:47 (Ref:1011606)   #53
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by coln72
and a cargo barrier will stop anything hitting you in the back of the head in a sudden stop.
I refer you to David's list of cargo (a page or so back) - a gearbox, spare diff, crates of spares, etc. Its true, he brings all manner of cr@p to the track (BTW, Dave, thanks for the lend of the windex at the Morgan Park Historics ).

A cargo barrier may restrain your average domestic load, but it couldn't cope with the military spec heavy metal required to race a Torana.

A ute (with a canopy) is the go. Get a Falcon if you never have to carry more than one passanger (RTV, droool), or a Crewman if you do.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 05:22 (Ref:1011621)   #54
coln72
Racer

I've had a ute and I don't think I would trust the glass window to stop a gearbox either. Holden wagons have adjustable cargo tiedowns that would help stop things gaining enough velocity.

Anyway I would not want to carry something that heavy in the back of the wagon anyway. All my heavy/dirty/oily parts go in the car on the trailer. I can hose that one out .
Old 22 Jun 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1011706)   #55
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When we take my Dad's canopy equipped Falcon ute to the track as a tender vehicle, we don't load it above the window line.

I don't like putting anything in the race car except my kit bag and helmet.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1011992)   #56
coln72
Racer

Suppose I dont get to compete on nice clean bitumen. I have an aversion to putting muddy tyres etc in the good car. The missus would kill me if I did!!!!

One that hasn't been mentioned yet if you are going to get a ute is the RTV Falcon Ute. Extra ground clearence and an air locker diff would be just the thing to get out of those muddy car parks

By the way, here is a photo of my wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
small newcar.jpg  
Old 22 Jun 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1012116)   #57
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks the goods There wouldn't be many of them around You wouldn't happen to know if there is still such thing as a Calais wagon?

Last edited by StuiE; 22 Jun 2004 at 14:16.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 22 Jun 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1012699)   #58
coln72
Racer

No there isn't at the moment. There will be a limited number of SS wagons coming out soon but you only get black or silver paint.

Its just your basic Berlina wagon with Holden by Design extras - suspension, body kit, interior bits, wheels etc. You can get the same gear on an Exucutive or an Acclaim if you want.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 00:05 (Ref:1012763)   #59
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dave

Along the lines of others suggestions, why not a Holden or Ford one tonner? Sort of a ute with the lot as far as carrying capacity goes and they still drive like a car. I sometimes get one as a work ride.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1012980)   #60
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nobody's voted for the Holden one tonner or the Jap 4WD dual cab ute yet.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:15 (Ref:1014006)   #61
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave

I suggested a Mazda Bravo but it wasn't in the poll...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 04:02 (Ref:1014125)   #62
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I couldn't see the point in listing the Bravo and Courier separately, the line was long enough already.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:21 (Ref:1014867)   #63
StuiE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by coln72
No there isn't at the moment. There will be a limited number of SS wagons coming out soon but you only get black or silver paint.

Its just your basic Berlina wagon with Holden by Design extras - suspension, body kit, interior bits, wheels etc. You can get the same gear on an Exucutive or an Acclaim if you want.
Thanks for the info...some day I want a Calias wagon, guess I'm going to have to get a Berlina and find Calais bits.

David, will this car be just for carrying a race car and stuff around, or as a daily driver as well? if the latter I would go for the Falcon Wagon (I would get a EF and give it XR headlights and rims...but thats just me ). A dedicated 'tradie' car like a Rodeo/Bravo etc. wouldn;t be ther most comfy thing or have high interior specs...and drum brakes. To me it doesn't really give the image of a nice to have car, just a workhorse. I drive a POS Nissan Navara ute (not 4x4 or anything) and my car feels like luxuary in comparison, even though their ages are'nt that different. Possibly they have improved a bit since then, I wouldn't know.

05 - Peter Brock
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:25 (Ref:1015454)   #64
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Stu, this would be my daily driver as well as towing the race car, so comfort is an issue, I do 45,000 km a year.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1020099)   #65
StuiE
Veteran

It also depends on how often you would be towing, If its only 5-10 times a year (even if it's long drives) it might be more worthwhile just to get the Falcon, even though when actually driving with a trailer might not be as good, and just bear it....or vice versa.

Have you test driven either of the cars? You may not find a whole heap of difference in comfort between to two, different people like different things.

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1021101)   #66
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I had an AU Futura wagon for 2 1/2 years, it was nice to drive, had heaps of room and towed well.

I've driven my mate's Courier 4WD turbo diesel dual cab and it's a truck basically, so it tows very well but it's not so nice to drive.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1023644)   #67
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dave

At the risk of being boring, although the regular tow pack for the Falcon XR range is 1600 there is a option of a 2300 kg tow pack. Depending on how often you tow a vehicle the drive of an XR compared to a wagon is really noticable in the XR's favour.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1024663)   #68
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Steve, if they made an XR wagon, I'd probably go straight out and buy it and not even bother posing this question. But, they don't make XR wagons anymore and a sedan doesn't have anywhere near enough luggage space for me. An XR ute has a lot of appeal, but sometimes I carry two passengers.

Does anybody know if you can get the 2300kg towpack with an XR? I wonder if the sports suspension compromises the towing ability.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 04:47 (Ref:1032818)   #69
coln72
Racer

I couldn't get the 2100kg tow pack on my Commodore with the sports suspension fitted. Not sure about the Falcon though. I do know that you cant get sports suspension on a Falcon Wagon - hence the reason I chose a Commodore Wagon
Old 23 Feb 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1529621)   #70
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I ended up with a Falcon ute and i must say i'm really happy with it. It's perfectly nice as a daily driver and it tows really well with tons of load carrying ability too.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1529638)   #71
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you go for a 6 or 8?
Old 23 Feb 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1530179)   #72
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It's a 6. Tows well on the flat, but it does struggle on big hills and overtaking double roadtrains. I'm surprised just how toey it is around town running empty.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 03:16 (Ref:1530313)   #73
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice solution, did you get an AU or BA? I take it "struggle" means it has to change back to 3rd lol. There is still a place for the good old bench seat, even if the person in the middle is uncomfortable they don't have to walk.

FWIW, I used a VT wagon to tow 1500-odd kg of car on trailer a couple of years ago, the non-Control Link rear end is no good and it was constantly unlocking the torque convertor on the Hume at any sign of an incline.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1530332)   #74
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It's a BA. You're right, it climbs hills in 3rd gear, not quickly though.

I have towed with a VX and a VY sedan and they never felt as steady as a Falcon.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1530336)   #75
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
David,
What about the new Ford Territory. I have had a couple of drives in them and they are great cars.
My sister bought one and she loves it. I think it's thirsty and cumbersome.