Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Mar 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1565037)   #26
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pah!

you racer boys...

an experienced hillclimber will always beat a racer off the line...

seriously though, in hillclimbing you usually do 4 proper starts per meeting and are timed over the first 64 feet - this really teaches you what does and doesn't work against the clock and sometimes the starts that feel best aren't the quickest

it's taken me quite a few years to get the technique for our car spot on and I just don't think that could be achieved with only one start per meeting if i was racing

how do you racers practice your starts??

I bet if you entered a hillclimb you'd be amazed how much you can learn just over the first 64 feet....

having said all that I accept that in hillclimbing you can start in your own time without a bunch of hooligans all around you....
Old 30 Mar 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1565047)   #27
Kev_205
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Kev_205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jonners - going to drop us some tips then
I'm fitting a new duel plate clutch to my 205 soon
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1565066)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point Jonners but of course as a hillclimber your main weapon is the start. Circuit racing needs a reasonable start then a bit of overtaking so the need to constantly practice starts is less than the need to be able to get around corners quickly with less braking.

Practising starts is also wearing on the transmission which has to last a lot longer than 4 runs up a hill. So getting a little bit of wheelspin to heat up the tyres and relieve the strain is probably recommended.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1565100)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
We don't need such a mega start jonners as we have 15 or 20 minutes to make it back up which is half the fun!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1565226)   #30
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All good points well made - but you couldn't possibly expect a very mediocre hillclimber to give away all his secrets to the roundy roundy brigade......

Actually, one topic that comes up at nearly every hillclimb is the old question of whether it's better to slip the clutch off the line or spin the wheels.

Not as easy a question to answer because it depends on what is meant by "better" which varies car to car

But even tho you guys have made the point about race starts not being the be all and end all am still amazed at each race meeting I go to how many of you just go totally loony and smoke those tyres....must be the adrenaline...

...must give racing a go one day
Old 30 Mar 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1565230)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
But even tho you guys have made the point about race starts not being the be all and end all am still amazed at each race meeting I go to how many of you just go totally loony and smoke those tyres
jonners, this was my point. With my road clutch I always found it best to use low revs and slip the clutch to just get the wheels moving, then floor it and control the the traction until the wheels were on the point of spinning through the first two gears.
With the race clutch it's either out, juddering, or in with no feel anywhere in between. I think I need to practice more as I have only done 4 race starts on this clutch.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1565346)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jonners I Concur. Its afine line but for:l ,. smelling of course me I'd rather wear out tyres. than my clutch. But of course we don't want to end up in a cloud of smoke!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 30 Mar 2006 at 17:54. Reason: Smelling of course!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1570131)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think my rears are a bit cheaper than my clutch, If I pulled away 1500 it'd take 300m before I was on cam and I'd be half a lap down, Like Peter, nothing below 4000 RPM, it all happens between 5 and 7 really

with 'only' 145 horses ( tested Friday!) to play with I'm just pleased it can spin its wheels !!!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1570554)   #34
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A quick update; I raced at Brands on Sunday, I only revved to about 1800/2000, just over tick over on my car, the second the clutch bit and the car started moving I floored it, controlling the wheel spin. I got a terrific start and made up two rows before I crossed the start line, I had started from the fifth row BTW, as the revs built to about 4500 the engine started to die and by the time I was at paddock most of the pack behind me were now in front
So it was 9 out of 10 for the racing start and minus 10 gazillion for playing with carb settings after qualifying.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1571611)   #35
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Larry J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced at SIlverstone the other day and made a fantastic start (Mono 2000 Toms F3 car with triple plate clutch or is that switch?) and then had a crap race as I subsequenlty found out I had mis rigged the throttle linkage over the winter and only had about 2/3 power. But it got me thinking. Limiting the power off the line clearly seems to work - so question before I waste more money - anyone tried these 'launch control' rev lmiters?? ie the one that allow you to have a lower rev limit when holding in a button to control the start.

Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1571633)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Does'nt that count as Traction Control, banned by many race series.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1571991)   #37
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Larry J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my series 'ignition is free' and it is only a temporary rev limiter and does not control traction or the tyre slip in any way.