Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2001, 20:35 (Ref:158765)   #1
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In defense of Indy

In another thread, Jay called the infield course at Indy a "joke of a track." I beg to differ. Monaco is a joke, but it has character and history on its side. Indy also has character and history, and in addition it has a few places where the cars can actually pass each other.

De la Rosa and Villeneuve criticized the slow sections -- PDLR saying the track is too short, JV saying the infield is like a go-kart track. Both drivers had ideas for track improvements, and I'm sure Tony George was listening, although changes may be a few years away. It's clear that more of the oval ought to be used. Turn 13 is not exciting because the cars don't have a chance to reach high enough speeds to make the turn challenging. In a practice session, I saw MS go around JV at full bore on the outside near the wall -- kicking up a lot of dirt in the process -- without incident. It should be possible in the near future to move the entrance to the oval earlier, thus allowing for a longer stretch of full acceleration prior to turn 13. The golf course is in the way of several possible reconfiguration scenarios, but I think the golfers would be happy enough to have just one hole on the infield, not four.

Turns four, five and six are a really cool combination. The Porsche Cup cars floundered through that section with hair-raising bad manners. Mika's McLaren went through with stunning power and grip, but the Minardi and Arrows cars never managed clean apexes. Whatever George does, I hope he keeps that turn combo the way it is; from trackside it was great fun to watch. Indy is a tough track to set a car up for (just ask Villeneuve), so I wouldn't exactly call it a go-cart track. The two races so far have been reasonably entertaining in terms of both strategy and dramatic moments on the track. To paraphrase the Beatles, F1 is back to where it once belonged at Indy. Tony George should feel proud, and could justifiably borrow a quip from John Lennon: "I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition."

Then there's the issue of Indianapolis itself. No offense to residents, but it's a pretty boring city. (Although I'm sure it's a fine place to grow up!) When we asked the desk clerk at the hotel for a restaurant recommendation, she pointed at the other side of the parking lot, to the place where she eats every night. "It's American food with an English twist." I ordered a "Big Ben," which turned out to be chicken-fried steak. I overheard a diner from Kansas City asked his waitress to recommend a place "where the locals hang out." She didn't quite know what he meant, so she answered, "Right here!" He kept trying, and she said, "Well, a lot of locals like Houlihan's." "No, no, no. That's a chain. I want good local restaurant." She thought it over again and said, "Outback Steakhouse is supposed to be really good." I was sipping my warm, oxidized Cabernet, and I almost spit it out my nose.

As the "World Capital of Racing," it doesn't have very much to offer the world traveler, other than bland hotels willing to gouge their guests with exorbitant rates. However, 175,000 people came this year, making it the best-attended F1 race two years running. This in spite of: the September 11 terrorist attacks; high prices at the hotels; the championship already decided. The highways around Indy, which all seemed to be under construction last year, were smooth sailing, which made getting to the track and parking a no-brainer this year. I had fun. As Arnold Schwarzenegger said, "I'll be back."
Attached Thumbnails
okeefe5.jpg  
Old 10 Oct 2001, 20:50 (Ref:158782)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to know you liked the race. We hope Indy lasts for many years !
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:08 (Ref:158800)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I prefer tracks that have a natural look and feel to them. Having modern F2 cars run through the streets of Monaco seems a lot more natural to me than having them run around in circles in a small contained go-kart style track.

I would rather the US GP be somewhere like Road America, Long Beach, or even Laguna Seca (a circuit that has produced some of the most boring Cart races in history, yet is loved by most cart fans...).

btw eatpc, you said you were defending Indy, but those last two paragraphs don't seem to be very supportive.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:19 (Ref:158809)   #4
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: In defense of Indy

Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
Monaco is a joke, but it has character and history on its side. Indy also has character and history, and in addition it has a few places where the cars can actually pass each other.
You're right about Monaco, it's a car-Procession !, and what about Barcelona ???, those are specially design for Bernoldi..., ask DC for more details...
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:20 (Ref:158811)   #5
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
...you said you were defending Indy, but those last two paragraphs don't seem to be very supportive.
I was defending Indy as a racetrack, not the city of Indianapolis. I'll leave that to others -- I hope I learn something!
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:39 (Ref:158827)   #6
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: In defense of Indy

Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
However, 175,000 people came this year, making it the best-attended F1 race two years running.

it's great track...to see the race..

there are several overtaking points..

a few changes could make it even better...
Old 10 Oct 2001, 22:54 (Ref:158878)   #7
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: In defense of Indy

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
You're right about Monaco, it's a car-Procession !, and what about Barcelona ???, those are specially design for Bernoldi..., ask DC for more details...

We'll see next season who's going to be in front of DC...and what's his comments will be after the race....
Old 10 Oct 2001, 23:03 (Ref:158884)   #8
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think that they could improve the track quite simply.
After turn 1/2/3 they should re-join the oval (oval turn 2) then run down that back stretch for a short squirt, then have a small infield bit, then rejoin the oval before the 3rd and 4th banked turns.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 23:22 (Ref:158891)   #9
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree that 4-5-6 is a great series of turns. They're fun to watch...and they're fun to play on the games, as they're really difficult to go through, and only the best drivers can go reeeally fast.

The part of the track that I have a problem with is the double hairpin. It's unneccessary. My idea: turn the double hairpin into a single turn that doesn't require braking.....between the speed from the backstretch and that turn (hopefully with banking)...it would turn 12 into an overtaking spot.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 23:26 (Ref:158894)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Re: In defense of Indy

Quote:
Originally posted by botsquad

it's great track...to see the race..

there are several overtaking points..

a few changes could make it even better...
I was told that were several overtaking points, and I just saw it happens in the race !!

Better than many we have seen all season.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 23:48 (Ref:158905)   #11
ma
Racer

ma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eatapc:

Indy really isn't too bad for a small city, once you get to know what's where. Having lived in Boston for many years, and having spent a LOT of time in NYC, I won't try to blow smoke up your butt and claim that it compares at all to either, but it ain't bad.

There actually ARE quite a few rather good restaurants here in town, and more in the surrounding area. It's too bad that your waitress was such a ditz!

If I remember, I'll try to put together a list of the best restaurants in the area for everyone for next year.

The hotel gouging is something that has a lot of local people hopping mad, but that practice seems rather all too common in other areas also. Maybe we'll get lucky & the bad publicity will make them change their minds next year.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 20:58 (Ref:159323)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll go along with the fact that the circuit really should join the oval down the back straight with a nice, high speed entry on to it. They've just GOT to get rid of that double hair pin. As far as GP circuits go it's OK. OK means average. Not bad. For the "home of motorsport" I would hope for a better track than an average, run of the mill GP circuit.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 23:29 (Ref:159436)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must say I have warmed a little to the track at Indy.