Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1603492)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hamilton enters frame for '07 McLaren seat

Lewis Hamilton's dominance of GP2 over the weekend has reportedly made Ron think a bit more seriously about adding him to the shortlist for the second McLaren seat.

He says they aim to have the best drivers available and Lewis has only added to those options (or something like that)

If a younger driver really excels then why shouldn't he step straight into a top seat...

I know traditionally, it hardly ever happens but if he continues to sweep up this year then it would be daft to waste him in an uncompetitive car when he could do a good job straight away?

If he doesn't get a McLaren race drive what are the other racing options open to him that will allow Ron to hang onto him rather than let him go on a contract he's not in control of elsewhere?
Old 8 May 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1603500)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree that there is no reason why Lewis Hamilton shouldn't get a McLaren seat, however, Ron Dennis has traditonally expressed reticence towards putting a rookie into one of his cars; I think Andrea de Cesaris, Michael Andretti and Jan Magnussen are the exceptions, neither can be considered a success. So therefore a seat in a more mid table team is perhaps a little more likely.
Old 8 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1603503)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a new driver to enter F1 an established driver has to leave F1 not just the team...I don't see it happening. Paffett is also in the wings too remember.
Old 8 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1603504)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope the man doesn't hold him down.
Old 8 May 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1603507)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In modern F1 there is far too much for a rookie driver it learn, for having them in a top team to be a logical approach. Not only the driving, but the thinking-on-your-feet tactics, the extra press intrusion, knowing when not to push too hard, and several new cirucits to learn (even for a driver who has been in GP2). Midfield teams, especially Jordan and Sauber, have tended to have the most successes with rookie drivers. Perhaps there is something in Ron's mentality which makes him very risk-averse with new drivers though. Probably something called Andrea de Crasharis.
Old 8 May 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1603512)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
True, but I think there'll be a fair few people making way in several teams at the end of the season, judging by their current respective woes.

I rate Gary highly and he ought to have a race drive next year too, but are McLaren or Mercedes viewing his long term path in the same way as they are with Lewis?
Old 8 May 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1603794)   #7
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, Mercedes must be mindful of Schumi, Frentzen, Wendlinger, Webber all of whom got a serious legup in sportscars, only to leave them... A seat at direxiv (if it happens) or Prodrive (when it happens) may prove possible don't you think? Still begs the question of how to keep him for 2007 (because someone good has to leave, really, no?) because he may just win GP2
Old 9 May 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1603832)   #8
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nico's rather smooth transition (to date) can only be good for the other GP2 guys. Perhaps, this will prompt that Lewis get a shot sooner rather than later. Lets face it, all the teams and team principals are dreaming of signing the next star and the first place you look should be right under your nose; grab a guy before someone else does. Nico did not get much publicity before his signing with Williams, but he looks like he has the goods.
Old 9 May 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1603970)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Re Osella's point about the Mercedes deals, they lost Schumi because they didn't have an F1 drive available at the time and Willi Weber was really pushing for a drive for MS, only a Ford powered team (or two!) had the openings (although i remember Merceded helping find some of the money allegedly!?) Frentzen and Wingbender did go onto drive for cars powered by them in F1 though.

Lewis and Gary aren't in quite the same situation.

I think Rosberg had a fair bit of publicity pre F1, Kirk?

Arguably, the name is publicity in itself, as was JV's before him and Hill's before that, so winning titles can only reinforce that publicity.

Lewis doesn't have that 'name' of course, he just has one of those rare talents....

Is Lewis the next driver in the bracket of 'the big talent that comes along every 5-10 years or so'?

I.E. Succeeding Senna, Schumi, Alonso in the line of F1 superstars..
Old 9 May 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1603979)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Is Lewis the next driver in the bracket of 'the big talent that comes along every 5-10 years or so'?
He might well be. He seems to start a formula obviously quick, but making mistakes. It doesn't seem to be long before he learns from those and then just wins.

What chance Alonso & Hamilton or Alonso & Paffett at McLaren next year.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1604003)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

In that case is Gary the new Blundell?!

I.E, super sub/one year deal expert...
Old 9 May 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1604018)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Nico's rather smooth transition (to date) can only be good for the other GP2 guys. Perhaps, this will prompt that Lewis get a shot sooner rather than later. Lets face it, all the teams and team principals are dreaming of signing the next star and the first place you look should be right under your nose; grab a guy before someone else does. Nico did not get much publicity before his signing with Williams, but he looks like he has the goods.
Don't let the hype, floppy hair, trendy good looks and famous 'pushy' father fool you into forgetting the number of major rookie errors and shunts hes had so far. Not to mention that the Willy-Cosy is potentially a front running car that in more experienced hands might have been getting better results by now.

But back on thread subject...RD's MO is more to go for someone elses proven star, than take a risk on a rookie. As he once was quoted "It isn't my job to train racing drivers"

Last edited by Rennen; 9 May 2006 at 08:44.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1604020)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Ooh, very contentious, yet very good post Rennen.

However, I'l leave the response to someone else (sits on fence whistling!)
Old 9 May 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1604021)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
In that case is Gary the new Blundell?!

I.E, super sub/one year deal expert...
I hope not. He certainly deserves a chance, especially the way the likes of Fisi, Trulli and others are plonking around at the moment. I just hope he doesn't have the same problem as Anthony Davidson. Testing - no racing.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1604024)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Same here, but my concern is that McLaren may give him a one year race deal if they cannot hire a suitable 'experienced' driver, or feel that they need to groom Lewis for a further years either full time testing or in a lesser team?
Old 9 May 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1604032)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I hope not. He certainly deserves a chance, especially the way the likes of Fisi, Trulli and others are plonking around at the moment. I just hope he doesn't have the same problem as Anthony Davidson. Testing - no racing.
It's a good living and as near as you can get, AD did just 2 laps short of the full GP distance last Friday, and surprise, surprise, testers do actually do pukka overtaking moves, given half a chance!

I've watched Lewis since he was a novice 9 year old Cadet mini karter, and gave words of encouragement and advice. LH had a lot of help on the way through starting with Martin Hines (of ZIP Kart) as did AD & GP in their turn before him. Lewis isn't any better (or worse) than them, it's all down to luck and being in the right place at the right time. For our part we were there too early before Mercedes were encouraged to join MH's karting championship as a sponsor, so LH & GP were 'in the right place at the right time'...But having said that, it doesn't make free F1 race seats appear.
Old 9 May 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1604038)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nico has had 3 offs in 5 races, and the one in Melbourne wasn't his fault. That's compared to Ant having 2 in 2 races at Minardi. Everybody makes a few mistakes early in their career, even Michael did. Coonsidering the amount of mechanical failures Williams have had, I don't think they can get better results than they've been picking up.
Old 9 May 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1604039)   #18
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dream team: Alonso & Hamilton.

Paffet? nice guy, good driver, not in the same league IMO
Old 9 May 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1604329)   #19
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hamilton

As he once was quoted "It isn't my job to train racing drivers"[/QUOTE]

If you look at the facts this is exactly what RD has done. He has supported Hamilton since karting (Both Nico and Lewis raced in the same kart team MBM.com - fully funded by RD/Mclaren and Lewis is one hell of a lucky kid to have all of his racing career funded by RD!. He also has ended up in the best team (money no object courtesy of RD and Co) be it in Formula Renault, F3 Euroseries and now GP2! Remember the ART team is owned by Nichols Todt (Jean Tod's son) and there has been some talk in the last few days that Ferrari are sharing data with ART (Bridgestone connection and all that) which some people were muttering about darkly last year when Nico went from nowhere at the beginninjg of the season in GP2 to becoming a consistent race winner and eventual champion.

Having said all that I still think Lewis is a good talent but let's not get carried away with trying to compare him to Senna already!

Time will tell!
Old 9 May 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1604357)   #20
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
I've watched Lewis since he was a novice 9 year old Cadet mini karter, and gave words of encouragement and advice. LH had a lot of help on the way through starting with Martin Hines (of ZIP Kart) as did AD & GP in their turn before him. Lewis isn't any better (or worse) than them, it's all down to luck and being in the right place at the right time. For our part we were there too early before Mercedes were encouraged to join MH's karting championship as a sponsor, so LH & GP were 'in the right place at the right time'...But having said that, it doesn't make free F1 race seats appear.
McLaren were heavily involved in another young karter at the time, not just Lewis. Blond haired kid. Anyone know if he progressed anywhere?
Old 9 May 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1604359)   #21
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
As he once was quoted "It isn't my job to train racing drivers"

If you look at the facts this is exactly what RD has done. He has supported Hamilton since karting (Both Nico and Lewis raced in the same kart team MBM.com - fully funded by RD/Mclaren and Lewis is one hell of a lucky kid to have all of his racing career funded by RD!. He also has ended up in the best team (money no object courtesy of RD and Co) be it in Formula Renault, F3 Euroseries and now GP2! Remember the ART team is owned by Nichols Todt (Jean Tod's son) and there has been some talk in the last few days that Ferrari are sharing data with ART (Bridgestone connection and all that) which some people were muttering about darkly last year when Nico went from nowhere at the beginninjg of the season in GP2 to becoming a consistent race winner and eventual champion.

Having said all that I still think Lewis is a good talent but let's not get carried away with trying to compare him to Senna already!

Time will tell!
don't forget McLaren/Mercedes also helped Heidfeld along the way from sponsorship of F3 and even there own F3000 team.
Old 9 May 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1604365)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
don't forget McLaren/Mercedes also helped Heidfeld along the way from sponsorship of F3 and even there own F3000 team.
And loads more besides, perhaps not right at the junior level but certainly at various stages on the ladder so to speak.

Magnussen, Franchitti, even JPM (couple of outings), Webber, Tiemann, Wurz, Zonta (even Ralf had the odd Merc GTR race) had support in DTM/ITC/GT1 as part of driver support from Merc where they were obviously monitoring talent for the future...
Old 9 May 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1604367)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
As he once was quoted "It isn't my job to train racing drivers"
If you look at the facts this is exactly what RD has done. He has supported Hamilton since karting (Both Nico and Lewis raced in the same kart team MBM.com - fully funded by RD/Mclaren and Lewis is one hell of a lucky kid to have all of his racing career funded by RD!. He also has ended up in the best team (money no object courtesy of RD and Co)
[/QUOTE]

If you're talking 'facts'...Training is training, RD's 'support' was sponsorship. Yes lucky boy...he was just in the right place at the right time, but he ain't in F1 yet!
Old 9 May 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1604368)   #24
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
but he ain't in F1 yet!
I think he might be soon though!
Old 9 May 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1604375)   #25
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Nico has had 3 offs in 5 races, and the one in Melbourne wasn't his fault. That's compared to Ant having 2 in 2 races at Minardi. Everybody makes a few mistakes early in their career, even Michael did. Coonsidering the amount of mechanical failures Williams have had, I don't think they can get better results than they've been picking up.
AD didn't damage his car, he just beached it (and there was a reason, ask Justin Wilson) and remember AD hadn't tested it before racing it. His brief was just to get that heap onto the grid for the sponsors, and he did both times which the regular driver couldn't! Yes every driver makes mistakes but there are 'racing incidents' and 'Rookie errors' that was my point.

But this thread is about Hamilton, he might be the talk of the British press understandably talking him up, desperate for a national front runner, but by Lewis's own admission he isn't getting into the McLaren team straight from GP2.