Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 12 May 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1606797)   #26
jethro10
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lake District
jethro10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone any idea why the RLR guys are way down?
Is it their choice of a minority chassis?

Jeff
Old 12 May 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1606821)   #27
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone notice the new mirror pillars sported by Team Penske? They arrived under a cloud of secrecy and passed tech They are the product of the "Dust" brothers who used to work for Panther and lat of Team Menard. They now work for Penske in North Carolina. These mirror pillars are not only sensational to look at they seem to help with air going over the rear wing.

Very good engineering from Mike and Larry Rutkowkis.
Old 12 May 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1607125)   #28
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did notice those mirrors and said "hmm, those look odd" but didn't compare them or give them a second thought. Nice to know I wasn't crazy. Rumor is that RLR is going to test Dallaras today, I guess we'll find out in a bit, the track is drying.
Old 12 May 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1607304)   #29
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
bah, rained out today, it stopped raining and they started drying the track, but then it started raining again and drizzled for awhile and they called it at about 2:00 PM.

I did see TG walking from the Vision garage today though, so it wasn't totally worthless.
Old 12 May 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1607311)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there this morning with our guest artist with the ISO, who was supposed to take a ride in the "two-seater," but it obviously got rained out as well...

I picked up credentials at the Media Center from Bill York (a nice guy!) and grabbed a long-time acquaintance (goes way back to when I raced in Soap Box Derby as a kid) from their photographer staff, Steve Snoddy, and I took the artist to the Speedway Museum....(NOTE: I hadn't seen Steve since the 1970s...small world, isn't it?)

Team Owner is right...the display this week is incredible...the 1967 Parnelli Jones and 1968 Graham Hill STP Turbines...the 1963 Zink Turbine that was originally supposed to be driven by Dan Gurney, Smokey Yunnick's famous (and ugly) "Side Car" racer, plus many, many former Indy 500-winning cars...

We got pictures of the guest artist sitting in an IRL car and with the Borg-Warner trophy.

As a Side Note:

I also shook hands with Buddy Rice (following his news conference this morning), Dan Wheldon, Johnny Rutherford and Al Unser., Sr....

Not a great day, but it sure beat the Hell out of sitting in the office this morning....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 May 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1607507)   #31
Team Owner
Racer

Wait untill you see what the Penske Team has done with the rear wing main plane, and its within the rules, much like when they built that short pushrod engine. I'm not surprised.
Old 13 May 2006, 04:03 (Ref:1607558)   #32
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
thanks for the heads up. I'm excited, hope the cars get on track tomorrow. It looks like this system is finally burning itself out so even if it does rain tomorrow, it should clear up faster.
Old 13 May 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1607601)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen it do this here in May....

a Low pressure system stalls because the jet stream passes through the Tennessee valley and there is nothing to push it through...

70% chance of rain on Saturday

60% on Sunday...

It did this in 1997 on Race weekend....parade got soaked...race day ran 10-15 laps....Monday washed out...Tuesday was beautiful and they raced...

Since you came here to spend these days in Indy, drdisque, I really hope that the low (which is wobbling over the Michigan-Indiana Border) decides to pivot to the north or move east....

Either way, it will give the necessary window for some qualifying to happen....

It moved notrh a little on Thursday, and we got some racing done....

200 miles west, it is sunny and 70 degrees....

But to be fair to all competitors who plan to qualify this weekend, I hope they get through the line one time completely on one day, and one day only...at least give everyone a shot in similar conditions...

Because if they don't, the guys at the end of the line who can't geta shot on a crappy day could have a gorgeous day the following afternoon...and that isn't fair to those who did run on the crappy day....

Sure...it is the luck of the draw....but that doesn't make it fair...especially with teh kind of field we have at the front this year.

Old 13 May 2006, 05:37 (Ref:1607605)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
Wait untill you see what the Penske Team has done with the rear wing main plane, and its within the rules, much like when they built that short pushrod engine. I'm not surprised.
That's Penske....this place is his obsession, isn't it????

He "prepares" like no other operation for this race....no one....and it is why he has won here 14 times....

I find it interesting that his Factory Porsche ALMS team didn't enter Le Mans this year....might be a factory choice, since the car has only two races under its belt, but that is one of the other biggest racing stages on the planet Earth....I sit up all night to watch the last 1/3 of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on Speed Channel...

Possibly because "The Captain's" first passion is to get back to the top again in open wheel racing?

It makes me wonder.

Old 13 May 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1607758)   #35
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
That's Penske....this place is his obsession, isn't it????

He "prepares" like no other operation for this race....no one....and it is why he has won here 14 times....

I find it interesting that his Factory Porsche ALMS team didn't enter Le Mans this year....might be a factory choice, since the car has only two races under its belt, but that is one of the other biggest racing stages on the planet Earth....I sit up all night to watch the last 1/3 of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on Speed Channel...

Possibly because "The Captain's" first passion is to get back to the top again in open wheel racing?

It makes me wonder.

Exactly what Tim Cindric told me.
Old 13 May 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1607785)   #36
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John Andretti told NASCAR.com yesterday that he has some offers on the table for the Indianapolis 500, so we just might see one more Andretti come to Indianapolis
Old 13 May 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1608980)   #37
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather see Casey Mears...who could have if he won the Daytona 500, why can't TG fork out some money so Casey can run in the race?
Old 13 May 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1608982)   #38
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or even Ryan Hunter-Raey who is out of a drive, another young American and was good on the ovals in the CCWS....
Old 14 May 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1609544)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Do my eyes deceive me????

What is that bright yellow orb in the Sky???

Could it be????

YES...the Sun has been peeking in and out of the clouds this morning after a long night of rain...

Apparently, they are drying the track at IMS.....

Let's hope that we get a good window for qualifying, and that the Sun can come out for an extended period of time to help the process.

It is still below 50 degrees here, so the Sun could help us in that department, too....

60% chance of rain today....keep your fingers crossed.

Old 15 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1610606)   #40
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Do a stay dry dance Tim.