Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 May 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1618741)   #101
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Not an expert on this particular point, but normally all activites programmed on a particular Race Day, on Track, are covered by the MSA Permit for that Meeting.
You're right - this is normally the case. I have known odd occasions when the permit has been suspended for a specific period of a demonstration or other track activity and then carried out on the circuit's own insurance but, in these cases, the marshals have been stood down.
Old 25 May 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1618757)   #102
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
You're right - this is normally the case. I have known odd occasions when the permit has been suspended for a specific period of a demonstration or other track activity and then carried out on the circuit's own insurance but, in these cases, the marshals have been stood down.
Thanks John, to be supported by somebody more learned than myself. And, I would agree. I seem to remember instances in the past, (occasionally); where the Circuit Management has arranged something during the Lunch Break, and not part of the day's activities by an Organising Club with it's correct MSA Permit. The Circuit have had to take responsibility over.
Old 25 May 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1618857)   #103
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals (doctors, rescue units, ambulances etc.) being on post is usually a condition for these type of permits to be issued.
Old 25 May 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1618859)   #104
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
Marshals (doctors, rescue units, ambulances etc.) being on post is usually a condition for these type of permits to be issued.
Agreed, Flag Waver; but the Units you described were still located at the Medical Centre and Race Control, and not stood down, and a skeleton number of Marshals were still on Post. At Brands Hatch I can assure you that the whole Circuit was being closely watched on CCTV. Nearly every corner has a camera, so in the event of Nigel putting a foot wrong, ALL the facilities were still available.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1618874)   #105
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nearly every corner has a camera, so in the event of Nigel putting a foot wrong, ALL the facilities were still available.
Ah, but did they get Nigels argument with the father of a FBMW driver?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 26 May 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1619268)   #106
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Ah, but did they get Nigels argument with the father of a FBMW driver?
What arguement? Was he trying to insist his eyebrows weren't an endangered species?!!!
Old 26 May 2006, 08:17 (Ref:1619279)   #107
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At Brands Hatch I can assure you that the whole Circuit was being closely watched on CCTV.
So how did the TV van get on the circuit TWICE without Control knowing about it
The first time they were WD !!!!
Old 26 May 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1619290)   #108
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400
So how did the TV van get on the circuit TWICE without Control knowing about it
The first time they were WD !!!!
How do you know Control did not know!!!

Secondly, we were discussing Nigel Mansell's demonstration lap, and I can assure you that at all times his Lap was being monitored in Race Control.
Old 26 May 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1619300)   #109
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
Quote:
How do you know Control did not know!!!
We phoned it in when they went past post 7... Control said they didn't know they were there....
Old 26 May 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1619309)   #110
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400
We phoned it in when they went past post 7... Control said they didn't know they were there....
You may have telephoned, and thank you for doing so, but being by the back gate, it had also been radioed in, and we were just waiting permission to allow it to go, when it took off on it's own - that's Europeans for you!
Old 26 May 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1619316)   #111
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
They were naughty, weren't they! I hope they don't do that everywhere they go!
Old 26 May 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1619324)   #112
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
That depends. The authorisation from the MSA, extending the permit for 'non racing on-track' activities, is usually very specific about the cover required. Sometimes it's just medical/rescue vehicle cover, sometimes there's a requirement for a pace or chase car, sometimes it's full cover including marshals.
I would not normally ask marshals to stay on post for activities taking place under circuit insurance since a) it would invariably reduce their 'stand down' time and b) I couldn't be certain of the extent of the insurance cover.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1619424)   #113
hogmany
Rookie

hogmany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
That depends. The authorisation from the MSA, extending the permit for 'non racing on-track' activities, is usually very specific about the cover required. Sometimes it's just medical/rescue vehicle cover, sometimes there's a requirement for a pace or chase car, sometimes it's full cover including marshals.
I would not normally ask marshals to stay on post for activities taking place under circuit insurance since a) it would invariably reduce their 'stand down' time and b) I couldn't be certain of the extent of the insurance cover.
Absolutely correct, the fax from the MSA concerning the demostration laps, or what ever it's called, will state the requirements for it be covered under the permit. All the Clerks I know will try to stand down the troops is possible.
Old 26 May 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1619588)   #114
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies for interluding here - this is the first time I've properly been on 10/10ths this week.

MSV provide portaloos on various posts at Oulton Park. I believe the innovation started a few years back but it has been continued since the change of ownership. And they are usually in pretty good order (even at Lodge where the spectators also have access).

If they can do that at Oulton, then why not at Brands - especially on the GP circuit? If I am correct then it was a "campaign" by the lady marshals that got the loos in the first place - so might be worth a try?!

Once again, sorry for the interruption to the current flow.
Old 26 May 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1619595)   #115
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Shelagh, Please do not apologise - any contribution is valued. The whole essence of my present campaign is that Brands Hatch is 50 years behind the times - the Circuit has never moved on as far as Marshals are concerned, in all that time. I agree with what you say, I have Marshalled at Snetterton, rarely, I agree, but I found Portaloos on all the main Posts, with Paper Towels, Toilet Rolls and clean WCs (if you would excuse the vernacular!!). The whole scenario I have brought to the attention of the "highest" management and I am looking for immediate results! Just watch this space!!
Old 26 May 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1619601)   #116
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gerry (hope I got that right - not sure if I know you or not) - just trying to add weight to your arguments. How many circuits do MSV own? If they can do it at one or two then why not at all.

The apologies were really because the thread had moved on from talking about the facilities but, as a "lady", these things do prey heavily on your mind! When I first started marshalling at Oulton Park I think the girls there numbered a maximum of 5 out on the bank so there was no consideration at all for us (men being assumed to be able to cope). And that was 1990!!!! Isn't it nice to know that 16 years on some things haven't changed!
Old 26 May 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1619682)   #117
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
MSV provide portaloos on various posts at Oulton Park.

Once again, sorry for the interruption to the current flow.
Old 26 May 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1619692)   #118
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
OK - once I'd posted that I realised it was "up for grabs". Dave - you win the saddest prize!
Old 26 May 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1619715)   #119
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Hi Shelagh, Yes, this is Gerry! See the other main thread going!! However, MSV own 4 Circuits, plus the original Bedford Autodrome which is in the main just, although, very successful, Corporate complex.
You have mentioned Oulton Park, I have Snetterton and Brands Hatch, which just leaves Cadwell Park, a Circuit I have not visited since 1962 when we raced a Spridget and a Lotus 7!! However, the facilities at Snetterton I know go back to Octagon times, before MSV, and probably so do the ones at Oulton Park; hence my comments that at Brands Hatch we are looking at 50 years of underdevelopment. At the WTCC we had 4 known lady Marshals on the GP loop, so we do have a similiar problem.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1620106)   #120
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
At the WTCC we had 4 known lady Marshals on the GP loop, so we do have a similiar problem.
I won't ask about the "unknown"!
Old 27 May 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1620117)   #121
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
I won't ask about the "unknown"!
No!, please do not go down that road!!!