Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jul 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1651732)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gimme a clue???

I've just received my Clerk's Licence renewal form from the MSA. One of the questions asked is "When officiating in your licensed capacity do you come into contact with any minor under the age of 18?". Well, yes I do, sometimes (very rarely).

I am then asked to sign a declaration stating (amongst other things) "I hereby agree to abide by the MSA Child Protection Policy and Guidelines".

OK fair enough. But, WHAT are they? And WHERE are they to be found? I have looked on the MSA website but can't find anything; the Blue Book doesn't seem to mention it either.

I'd be happy to say I'll agree to the guidelines, but if I don't know what they are ....

A clue someone? Anyone? Please?
Old 9 Jul 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1651742)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think we are all in the same boat over this one.
With circuit racing drivers getting younger it applies to more & more of us. Would be nice to know what we are agreeing to.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1651757)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And T- Cars and Marshals.

Errr sorry I can't help.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1651760)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, I shall ring the MSA tomorrow and get a definitive response (hopefully). I'll let you all know - watch this space!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 02:10 (Ref:1651836)   #5
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A similar thing is happening down under (but through the government not the MS sanctioning bodies) in which anyone who comes in regular contact with minors must be policed checked and then carry a card authorising them to come in "care" situations for minors or face (in some states) BIG penalties. Motorsport bodies are still awaiting final verdict as to what determines "care." ie. it's more aimed at those with longer continuing contact with minors like teachers, priests, scoutmasters rather than the odd day here or there like working trackside/paddock.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1651998)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we getting to the stage where MSA will want to carry out police checks before letting us marshal? I know kids have to be protected from the evil b*****ds out there but this is getting silly.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1652010)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As rescue crew it's something we are always aware of that we may have to be in close contact to a minor for extrication / assessment purposes and for on-going medical examinations.

I therefore wouldn't be surprised to see MSA rescue license holders being subject to background checks given the current level of public concern over this.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1652053)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
The Irish Sports Council brought in a ruling some time ago about codes of conduct for any sporting organisation that deals with minors i.e. anyone under 18.

Details here - http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/cod...00_00axxx_Home

This includes having a Childrens' Officer to deal with any queries from minors and to deal with parents etc.

I know that at one point, a Childrens' Officer was going to be appointed for the MRMCI as we had some marshals under 18 - I'm not sure what happened after that or if it's still ongoing.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1652059)   #9
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I would assume that we, as Clerks, are fairly protected in this area, since we should always be dealing with under 18's in the presence of parent/guardian/other responsible adult? I just ticked the box as I suspect the MSA will just produce a list as a matter of record.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1652146)   #10
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all part of the "Child Protection Act" You can find details of the Act by checking Child Protection on Google. It involves anyone working with or activities were young people under the age of 18 are involved. To complicated to go into here but you will find all the details you need on the website. As far as marshals are concerned I doubt if Criminal Record Checks will be required?
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1652856)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I would assume that we, as Clerks, are fairly protected in this area, since we should always be dealing with under 18's in the presence of parent/guardian/other responsible adult? I just ticked the box as I suspect the MSA will just produce a list as a matter of record.

You suspect correctly John!

I spoke to John Symes today (lovely man - he greeted me with "whaddyawant?" as opposed to "Sheila, how lovely to hear your dulcet tones again, how may I help you?")

Anyway he'd just come out of a meeting discussing this exact point. Apparently, since the Licence renewals forms went out, people have been stopping him in the street, the pub, etc., and ringing him up asking the same question. Apparently, according to John, I would have no problems signing the declaration as I would agree with the Policy and Guidelines.

Anyway, he pointed me in the direction of the Blue Book and I have now found it (on page 6) It says:
  • "The child's welfare is paramount.
  • All children, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, religious belief and/or sexual identity, have the right to proection from abuse.
  • All suspicions and allegations of inappropriate behaviour will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately."

So, there you have it. We can all tick the box that says we come into contact with under 18s and that we agree with the Policy!

Last edited by Sheila M; 10 Jul 2006 at 20:52.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1652972)   #12
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this covers minors under 18, what about minors over 18 and non-minors under 18?
Don't we adults have the right to protection from abuse?
Is the policy ageist?
If all the marshals were under 18 perhaps the marshals' welfare would be paramount.

Yes ok I've lost it
Old 11 Jul 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1653185)   #13
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Peter I believe you are covered as the act includes the elderly and handicapped?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1653221)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know some people who work underground, are they the sort of Miners they are talking about