Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Mar 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1865619)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Standing Starts Delayed

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/35952/
So no standing starts for at least 3 races.

Thoughts?
Old 13 Mar 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1865623)   #2
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching at Laguna-Seca, a lot of the drivers clearly were not ready. Aren't pit stops basicly standing starts? What seems to be the problem? Is it the Cosworth? The electronics?
Old 13 Mar 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1865650)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pit stop getaways don't put anywhere near as much stress through the gearbox and throttle.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1865691)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It sounds like its mostly an engine control issue (electronics). A pit stop does seem like the same issues would occur, but apparently not.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1865868)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
a shame I was really looking forward to seeing that.

But I guess if its not safe yet then the best solution would be not to do them until all the glitches have been worked out
Old 13 Mar 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1865893)   #6
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
After gathering feedback from the open tests at MSR Houston and Laguna Seca, Champ Car officials have decided...
I'm 10 miles away from this track

Though I wonder why I didn't see any of the teams in my town...
Old 13 Mar 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1866032)   #7
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thought?

How may non-announcments and bad announcments can CC have?
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1866578)   #8
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
My thought?

How may non-announcments and bad announcments can CC have?
another one

i cant see this as a bad announcement, standing starts are new to champ car and there are a few issues that surrount them atm. these need to be sorted and this has been annouced. nothing bad as we can live with rolling starts for 3 races! again we have people who like to make these threads for bashing the series. whats the point? just keep your bashing thoughts to yourself.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1866745)   #9
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv#12
After watching at Laguna-Seca, a lot of the drivers clearly were not ready. Aren't pit stops basicly standing starts? What seems to be the problem? Is it the Cosworth? The electronics?
Guys like Doornbos, Bourdais, Wilson, Gommendy, Jani, Pagenaud and Junquira have extensive experience with standing starts. Imho guys like Tracy, Power, Tagliani and Rahal are talented enough to learn how to start these things. So imho it's not about the drivers, but there are other reasons.

I also don't think it's a technological- (i don't believe that panoz and cosworth could not make this happen) or safety- (cc did not think using the 'ramps' @ San Jose was a safety-issue, so why would this be?) related issue.

So I'm thinking the low car counts and the fear of a first-turn incident involving 4 or 5 cars (which could easily happen @ a 'track' like San Jose) deleting 25%+ of the field is what they are afraid of. 16 cars to start with, 5 cars crashing in turn 1, 2 other crashes and 3 technical dnf's leads to 6 finishers. That's a pr-wise killer, both for the people attending the event as for the tv-attendance.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1866866)   #10
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
another one

i cant see this as a bad announcement, standing starts are new to champ car and there are a few issues that surrount them atm. these need to be sorted and this has been annouced. nothing bad as we can live with rolling starts for 3 races! again we have people who like to make these threads for bashing the series. whats the point? just keep your bashing thoughts to yourself.
Simply put, the negative angle of the post is aimed at the incompetence in the management..... by raising this years expectations too high, and not delivering at every turn. The standing starts are a small issue, but fuels the fire.

I realize your frustration in people in the biz coming here from the other series posing as fans and then bashing, but you`ve mistaken me for someone else.

This series is in enough trouble without the announcements issue, compounded by KK talking to penguins during all that time...a trip that may cost him more than he realizes. Fans are ****ed, bashers are happy, that`s the difference.

Last edited by 2112; 14 Mar 2007 at 23:40.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1869267)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Changing the rules mid-season is never a good move, especially when it involves going back on something you've already said. Maybe the cars should have been designed with standing starts in mind from the word go?