Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Jun 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1928744)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indianapolis F1

Anyone else going to be there with us? if so, where?

We'll be doing (don't know how) Posts 7B, 8 and 9!!

Just make yourself known at Registration or the Thursday night dinner, would love to put some faces to names.

travel safe all,

Stu and Jo.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1930510)   #2
Mad Mattie
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Mad Mattie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there as well. I am working on Post 5.
I look forward to meeting ye at Registration on Thursday.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1930517)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a date then. We've got to meet and greet lots of new people this year as so many people that we knew from Indy are attending Le Mans this year.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1937380)   #4
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
not sure if I saw you Mattie but what a great night. good food, lots of beer and some great company. Roll-on practice tomorrow.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1940567)   #5
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it one of the UK marshals that dropped the blue flag then ?
I must admit since stsrting to flag that is the thing that gives me nightmares the thought of dropping a flag on the circuit. It really does look like an easy enough mistake to make and could be catatrophic.

Last edited by BeeJ; 18 Jun 2007 at 08:50.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:49 (Ref:1940720)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
Was it one of the UK marshals that dropped the blue flag then ?
no, but that doesn't matter. We ALL felt gutted for him as we're all one big team, nationality doesn't matter.

such a shame for him as it was such a great race to Blue Flag with the field split into basically two races it was just like an endurance race with fast guys catching slower ones almost every lap after the first pit-stops.
All that and a Lewis win made it a great time to be a Brit on "Blue".
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1940744)   #7
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
I agree I felt very sorry for whoever it was as it the thing I fear most when I am flagging. I really did feel for that marshal.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1940811)   #8
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
Anyone else going to be there with us? if so, where?

We'll be doing (don't know how) Posts 7B, 8 and 9!!

Just make yourself known at Registration or the Thursday night dinner, would love to put some faces to names.

travel safe all,

Stu and Jo.
I was trying to explain to Mudge the whole time whilst watching that you and Jo were there!! He wouldn't have any of it... I hope you had a wonderful time and I am extremely envious of you.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1941187)   #9
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say Dee and I cringed when we saw the blue flag go over the wall. It almost looked like it had been thrown rather than dropped but poor guy who ever he/she is. You just know that is one of those moments that will haunt you forever.
We had only been discussing how bad it would be if the finish guy at Montreal had dropped the flag from up on the Gantry and would he have had a spare flag incase.
If by any chance you read this forum Mr/Ms Blue Flagger, We all feel for you mistakes happen, sadly some are more visible that others.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1941240)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006
I was trying to explain to Mudge the whole time whilst watching that you and Jo were there!! He wouldn't have any of it... I hope you had a wonderful time and I am extremely envious of you.
a superb time until.............................. all flights into Chicago were cancelled so as I type this we are sitting in a free room at the same hotel that Lewis Hamilton used this weekend. got a free 24hr stay until our new flights.

The race was a blast but could have done without this delay. still, worse things happen .
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1942493)   #11
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I must say Dee and I cringed when we saw the blue flag go over the wall. It almost looked like it had been thrown rather than dropped...
If you watch it in slow-mo, the flag comes out of the fencing stick-end first. Wonder if someone tried to throw the flag to the flaggie but they weren't ready/looking
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1942516)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So someone dropped a flag! No big deal and I can't think that anyone would be so daft as to criticise the guy/gal who should have been waving it!

I'm now an Observer.......I drop the ocasional bo**ock......same thing!!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1942527)   #13
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who criticised?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1942528)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Neil - it's a general reply and not a reply or comment to your previous post.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1943450)   #15
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
I can only see post of sympathy for the flaggy not critisism.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:39 (Ref:1943463)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
You've all missed my point!
I'm not saying anyone here is criticising - I said I couldn't see anyone daft enough to criticise! (Meaning hierarchy like in Race Control)!

I'll go away quietly now!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1943592)   #17
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
You've all missed my point!
I'm not saying anyone here is criticising - I said I couldn't see anyone daft enough to criticise! (Meaning hierarchy like in Race Control)!
You've obviously never been "party" to the comments from Race Control during an F1 race Mark...... talk about B.S !!!!!!! They are more than ready to criticise anyone who does not seem to be "Doing-It-Their-Way" and I have some horrible examples from last weekend. "They" may well think themselves to the "be-all" of motorsport but "they" have seriously "lost-the-plot".

The marshal involved was mortified at the time (and the incident was relayed down the land-lines to every other post) but then he found out.............

It was shown on TV !!!!! He felt bad enough already but to realise that Charlie and his cronies had seen it hurt him even more.

but was there any contact between F1 and the marshal involved?...........NO.
Did the Chief Flags (USA based) recieve any words of condolence to pass-on to that marshal?.................. NO.
Did the rest of us "Flaggers" feel for him?.............. YES!!!!!!!!!

Does "Formula 1" even care as to how that marshal/corner worker/ ........VOLUNTEER... now feels???????????

NO !!!!!!!!!!!

F1 will criticise anyone/anywhere.

What "they" will never remember is that EVERY Single person trackside has volunteered to be there, has taken holiday, paid for travel, paid for accommodation (tent, motel or whatever) just to "be-there". Each of us will do our duty to the very best we can because we love the sport and want to do our best.

if and when somebody in an "Ivory Tower" finds fault with "Us", we take it personnaly and will endeavour to better next time.
Just don''t have a go at us if we make one mistake!!! We are ALL human.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1943725)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty much sums up why I avoid F1 on the whole. However, the marshalling fraternity all know it could happen to any of us any time, and it's just a pity that it happened in that particular spot where he couldn't get away with it - if there'd been a normal patch of grass there no-one would have known. A great shame and we all feel greatest sympathy for him.

As an aside, I notice the photo of Cathy waving the yellow for the night-time test in this week's Autosport. Always a surprise to open the mag and see someone you recognize!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1943742)   #19
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
As an aside, I notice the photo of Cathy waving the yellow for the night-time test in this week's Autosport. Always a surprise to open the mag and see someone you recognize!
as apose to 14 pages of someone you don't know??

(she worked damn hard this weekend, what with various champiomships changing their rules by the minute!!)
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1943750)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Just don''t have a go at us if we make one mistake!!! We are ALL human.
I wasn't!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1943763)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
(Don't think he meant you, Mark, I think he meant them in the Ivory Tower - er, sorry - race control)
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:20 (Ref:1943813)   #22
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I wasn't!
You weren't human Mark? What the hell were you?

At the end of the day it is a simple mistaka to maka, like falling over!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1943917)   #23
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Does "Formula 1" even care as to how that marshal/corner worker/ ........VOLUNTEER... now feels???????????

NO !!!!!!!!!!!

F1 will criticise anyone/anywhere.

What "they" will never remember is that EVERY Single person trackside has volunteered to be there, has taken holiday, paid for travel, paid for accommodation (tent, motel or whatever) just to "be-there". Each of us will do our duty to the very best we can because we love the sport and want to do our best.
Then I suggest rather than doing F1 in the US, try flagging a Champ Car race. It is the exact opposite of the above, you are appreciated, respected, looked after. I would recommend Phoenix in December - some warm weather, relative cheap flights, and a guarantee of an enjoyable weekend.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1944243)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Although I haven't done Champ Car in the USA, I have in other places and I can agree with Mr Squirrel's analysis from my experience.