Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1963660)   #51
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I like it.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1963666)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Let's face it,JB's about as likely to leave F1 as a Frenchman is likely to move away from the Brothel he lives next door to*.

* I think that I may have used that somewhere before.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 05:14 (Ref:1964065)   #53
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
button made the right choice in not going to williams but who was to know honda would fail this year after the succesful years they had in 05-06. you only need to look at how well williams went in 05-06 to see this. maybe though it is time he tried again elsewhere but where would he go? toyota are a no hope and I am pretty sure all other top drives are taken, don't quote me on that though.

2 years is a long time in f1

have fun
Old 16 Jul 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1964233)   #54
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It begs the question. With two of the biggest budgets in F1, why can't the japanese get it together.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1964271)   #55
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, foreversideways, that has been discussed a good bit. However, it is indeed a very good question.

One would think that the $$ and the Japanese "approach" would lend themselves to achieving success. Look at Super Aguri. Putting aside the whole "customer car" issue for a moment; they have taken the car much further up the grid than their better-funded compatriots. They seem to have what Honda/Toyota seem to lack (to me) which is that spirit of "bushido." You know, the warrior spirit. SA seems to have that spirit. Honda and Toyota appear to be more "corporate" if you will. But then again, McLaren is very "corporate" and yet they are usually at the pointy end of the grid.

But, that is a "feel" sort of thing, not hard data. One would think that the Japanese approach to organization which is similar to McLaren's "matrix" approach would allow for the resources at hand to be maximized. I really don't understand why both teams just don't seem to be able to craft a consistently podium-capable/race-winning car.

It is an enigma, to say the least.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1964274)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
they have taken the car much further up the grid than their better-funded compatriots.
You can't ignore the customer car issue when discussing the relative performances of Super Aguri and Honda.

Super Aguri have managed to make a year old Honda (with a win under it's belt) go quicker than the current dog of a Honda.

For sure, they have done well for a small team, but I just don't see these miracles that everyone else seems to see.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1965279)   #57
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am not ignoring it, but my point is that SA really got that thing going as opposed to the factory effort...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 00:11 (Ref:1965281)   #58
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes John and that is because the 2006 Honda is just a way better car it would appear..
Old 17 Jul 2007, 00:15 (Ref:1965284)   #59
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
True Jeremy, but they at least seemed to be wringing it's neck for every last tenth at SA. The factory effort failed to recognize that the 2007 iteration was not as good as the 2006. I mean, someone should have noticed you would think.

The point here is that with all the cubic $$ and cubic engineers available the 2007 version of the Honda should be way better than your average Williams rather than a little bit better than the SA variant.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1965288)   #60
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I totally agree with you Honda should have realised in early testing "hey wait a minute" this car is not happening...They tested in Jerez recently and put their car up against the Super Aguri what took so long chaps?
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:00 (Ref:1965349)   #61
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
It begs the question. With two of the biggest budgets in F1, why can't the japanese get it together.

Because the team are run by run by committees.....
Old 17 Jul 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1965494)   #62
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
Because the team are run by run by committees.....
Ah now i see. So there a bit like local councils in England.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1965508)   #63
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Ah now i see. So there a bit like local councils in England.
Exactly.Which is why my bin will be full this week and gets emptied next week.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1965583)   #64
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Exactly.Which is why my bin will be full this week and gets emptied next week.
You should live in South Manchester, bins collected every week. Actually its about all they get right, that's why i am off to IOM.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 01:37 (Ref:1966199)   #65
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it is actually very sad that Jenson is now in this position.

He is a very smooth and fast driver ( Prost like in fact ) and deserves far better than this at present.

Mind you, it has always been the same in most forms of motor racing.

If you have the right car and an excellent driver backed by a well funded and managed team, then you will win races.

Otherwise you really have little or no chance.

Sad but true...

Paula Hamilton

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 18 Jul 2007 at 01:39.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 07:40 (Ref:1966308)   #66
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I do not think it is sad that a team has to be truly maximising in order to win.

I don't think that is at all sad.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1966497)   #67
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't understand why Button signed such a long contract with Honda. He didn't have to do that and is now obviously stuck there.

When does his contract end?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1966504)   #68
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I don't understand why Button signed such a long contract with Honda. He didn't have to do that and is now obviously stuck there.

When does his contract end?
I believe 2010 will be his final season under-contract, but I think both he and Honda may have an option to exit the contract after the 2009 season (clarification anyone?).

As I've said before, I don't think Jenson is in too bad a position. If Honda get things right in the next 3 seasons, which is not an unrealistic proposition if they bring in good people, he could find himself fighting for victories / championships.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:21 (Ref:1966695)   #69
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Button's frustration is quite understandable. JV went through the same thing with this team. Just when you think some progress is being made the team falls back. The team is close to a decade old now and has little to show for it. A (another) major personnel shake-up is inevitable and it seems has already begun with De Ferran gone. Soon Honda and Toyota will be mentioned in the same breath as Japanese teams that are hopelessly inept. It's a shame.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 00:47 (Ref:1967022)   #70
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Hon

Well it's all a matter of opinion really....

Good that we have " Free Speech " on this forum.

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I do not think it is sad that a team has to be truly maximising in order to win.

I don't think that is at all sad.