Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:02 (Ref:2041972)   #26
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
am i the only one that sees the reliance on manufacturer teams as a bit of an issue?

after all, it seems that the big companies want to compete with one and another, but if the competition with other manufacturers becomes leaner, then they could easily move to sports cars etc.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2041975)   #27
headlesschicken
Rookie

headlesschicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Should never have left sportscars.........
Why go back to sportscars? they were crap there as well.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2041985)   #28
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The FIA has been falling over themselves, fawning to the manufacturers, it would be a stark reminder than these car makes are only in F1 until it suits them, they are not racing teams, merely car makers who happen to run a racing team as a PR excersise.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2042162)   #29
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
The FIA has been falling over themselves, fawning to the manufacturers, it would be a stark reminder than these car makes are only in F1 until it suits them, they are not racing teams, merely car makers who happen to run a racing team as a PR excersise.
You're absolutely right, and that very issue has seen the success and subsequent demise of the two US single seater racing series ChampCar and IRL.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2042217)   #30
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
davyboy, maybe manufacturers were persuaded to left ChampCar in favour of F1.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 21:32 (Ref:2042229)   #31
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
You're absolutely right, and that very issue has seen the success and subsequent demise of the two US single seater racing series ChampCar and IRL.
And pretty much the death of the WRC and the DTM
Old 16 Oct 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2042259)   #32
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyotas lack of success in F1 and their deal with NASCAR makes this news probable unless of course they buy Williams.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 22:32 (Ref:2042269)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would buying Williams make any sense? Its not like they are dominating Grand Prix weekends with their outright speed is it?

The only reason I figured a change to Mr Alonso may have made sense was around the Schumi-Ferrari hookup... it may not bring them to the front of the grid overnight, but it will happen...

(Yes I know it didnt work for Happy Jacques & BAR...)

There are no magic bullets... just steps towards the end game... much better than a retreat
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:14 (Ref:2042284)   #34
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If Toyota secures Mr Alonso, it might just be a whole other ballgame
I don’t know how much he could achieve really. Trulli kept him much more honest at Renault then Fisi did.

I think putting the money into Williams would get a much better result then they are with their own team.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:29 (Ref:2042291)   #35
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poaching Fernando for 2 years and throwing huge money at the team might be the last chance for Toyota to win in F1 as a full constructor. If he is correct in claiming to have brought six tenths of a second to McLaren, he could feasibly bring over a second to Toyota immediately. The team would look serious, and could hope to gel as a team much more.

If one manufacturer leaves, others could leave pretty quickly - Toyota and Honda look vulnerable, although Renault seem more committed than 2 years ago. I'd rather go to customer cars than 3-car teams, as bigger squads could ultimately lead to more teams pulling out.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 03:04 (Ref:2042344)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So why dont Toyota do what Henry Ford never managed, and buy Fiat with this week's petty cash float A Toyota-Ferrari
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Oct 2007, 06:07 (Ref:2042371)   #37
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No need for customer cars, just make it more privateer friendly. If you're going to use customer cars you should go back to pre-concord agreement rules; if not, go back to the early 90s. I'm sure that there's many privateer teams that would jump at the chance of getting into F1 (eg Carlin).
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:26 (Ref:2042806)   #38
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
No need for customer cars, just make it more privateer friendly
So Carlin have the resources to build their own chassis, yeah?

Quote:
If you're going to use customer cars you should go back to pre-concord agreement rules; if not, go back to the early 90s. I'm sure that there's many privateer teams that would jump at the chance of getting into F1 (eg Carlin).
IMO we should have a system where there are customer chassis (with a price cap) and any team which is financially stable and can enter 2 cars can compete. No upper limit on teams, just allow anyone that won't go bust half way through the season.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:06 (Ref:2042844)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't this the natural result of turning it into a manufacturer championship? If one of them loses the shareholders ask questions and when the answers are of a sporting rather than business nature, the plug is pulled.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:59 (Ref:2043012)   #40
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can say to them is...stuff F1 and stick to WRC and sportscar racing
Old 17 Oct 2007, 20:01 (Ref:2043015)   #41
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschicken
Why go back to sportscars? they were crap there as well.
Does that include JSPC, IMSA, JGTC
Old 18 Oct 2007, 16:59 (Ref:2043783)   #42
headlesschicken
Rookie

headlesschicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLLRNNN
Does that include JSPC, IMSA, JGTC
Perhaps crap was too strong, if their presence in sportcar racing was to win Le Mans, then despite JSPC,IMSA, JGTC etc they were pretty poor.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 17:24 (Ref:2043796)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Their last WRC venture wasn't exactly great either. Plenty of speed, plenty of wins, but no titles (did they get the manufacturers in '99? Can't remember...I shall have to watch the old Top Gear Rally Reports I just got).

Toyota are making noises about going radical for 2008 with their car design. This worries me greatly. Radical means McLaren MP4/18A or Honda RA107 as opposed to Ferrari F2002...
Old 18 Oct 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2043900)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK
So Alonso goes to Toyota for 2008 and Toyota run a Williams derived chassis.
Prodrive also run Williams chassis and Toyota engines in 2008
At the end of 2008 Toyota pulls out of F1 but Prodrive continues to run Williams Toyota's and Alonso transfers, paid by Toyota, and drives for Frank.

Happy?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2043957)   #45
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ok, some ppl are forgetting some things here.

F1 vs NASCAR/CART/IRL

the american arm of toyota is very independant, and the USA market is very large and doesnt have much to do with the rest of the world as far as marketing goes.
so any involvment in american series will have little to no effect on F1.
remember, i, talking from toyotas point of view, not a general point of view.

2nd, toyota are still new to F1. can anyone recall any other larger company/team jumping into F1 and having sucsess within a few years?
money buys lots of things, but it cant buy what it takes 10 years to learn.
yes they have been dissapointed/ing but look at honda, how long have they been involved in F1?

i do not think they will pull out of F1 yet. toyotas philosophy is kaisen, meaning constant improvment. they are not into giving up.

also i work for toyota and im incredibly biased
Old 18 Oct 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2043972)   #46
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead
2nd, toyota are still new to F1. can anyone recall any other larger company/team jumping into F1 and having sucsess within a few years?
money buys lots of things, but it cant buy what it takes 10 years to learn.

i do not think they will pull out of F1 yet. toyotas philosophy is kaisen, meaning constant improvment. they are not into giving up.
If it's not cost effective, though, I don't think the powers that be will just keep pouring money in the way they have been doing. Jaguar tried to be successful by throwing money at their F1 project, and that didn't get them very far - no surprise, then, that there's no Jaguar F1 team anymore.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:07 (Ref:2044092)   #47
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
no surprise, then, that there's no Jaguar F1 team anymore.
That's Bull actually,RedBull to be precise.

RedBull at least had something to work with (RB1) until Adrian Newey came along.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:16 (Ref:2044096)   #48
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Toyota are making noises about going radical for 2008 with their car design. This worries me greatly. Radical means McLaren MP4/18A or Honda RA107 as opposed to Ferrari F2002...
Toyota doesn't really do radical... The Toyota way is to make small, but continuous improvements. Look at the generational change of their road cars - all slightly better than their previous version in virtually all ways, but never any giant, crazy leap forward.

There are a few exceptions like the GT-One and the new Lexus LF-A - hopefully they might see fit to finally throw caution to the wind with the F1 program. I can't see them vaulting up the grid anytime soon taking baby steps.

Last edited by mac; 19 Oct 2007 at 00:19.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:35 (Ref:2044111)   #49
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well actually, they have made some big jumps in road car design lately....
ae111 corolla to the zze122 was a major change. completly new chassis and engines.
im seeing a lot of major changes in new models lately. hopefully it works!

im hoping for a big improvemen in F1... there has to be!
or there will be some large heads rolling!