Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2002, 11:02 (Ref:206448)   #1
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJ12 looks very neat

Dispite what many people seem to be posting here saying that the EJ12 is ugly, I've just been having a good lock at it in some of the few pictures we have, and it actually looks quite aerodynamically neat.

Look at this one:

http://www.f1jordan.com/images/galle...running/13.jpg

The back end of the car looks VERY neat and tidy, I'm expecting this car to be very fast in a straight line, not always a good sign, but still and advantage.

Very high suspension bars on the front leaving some nice clear airways into the side pods, and extremely wide flow stabilisers either side of the air box.

And the nose just looks right. It seems at just the right position/angle for a nice boundary layer to form over the drivers head feeding stright into the airbox. Looks like a very neat and compact design. Hopefully it will race good as well
Old 30 Jan 2002, 15:53 (Ref:206543)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I wouldn't be surprised if they won a few races on their own merit this year.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 16:03 (Ref:206552)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they won a few races...
I would. It looks a good car, but not that good surely!
Old 30 Jan 2002, 16:08 (Ref:206559)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
Yes I wouldn't be surprised if they won a few races on their own merit this year.
i can't see anyone other than the top 3 winning this season!
Old 30 Jan 2002, 16:28 (Ref:206577)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure most of us would be very happy to see Jordan win on merit, but the level of improvement that would be required for them to do so is probably more than they could hope to achieve in a single season. But good luck to them anyway. I hope the real paint scheme is a different shade of yellow, though.
From the back angle view, the nose is quite droopy. I would hope that the slope of it is not too severe, as would that not cause a disturbed airflow over it? Or perhaps, not being an aerodynamicist, and not owning a personal wind tunnel, I should just keep quiet!
Anyway, I really feel that Jordan may struggle this year, but can't say exactly why, other than I expect several other teams (Renault, Sauber and BAR, and perhaps Toyota by year end) to be better as well.
This really is going to be the best year of racing in a long time, since Ferrari will be starting in last years car, it appears.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 16:56 (Ref:206599)   #6
ParkLife
Racer

The angle of the nose into the air flow is not really a problem when it comes to drag as the air will simple accelerate over the nose staying firmly attached to the surface (the problems occur where it leaves the surface and the flow becomes detached). Problems occur with slopes which slope away from the air flow. Like at the back of the car just after the side pods. That’s why all the cars support such gradual and gentle slopes away from the air flow in an effort to keep the flow attached to the surface.

The best way I can think of to illustrate what I mean by this is if you try and find a picture of the solar powered car by Honda. Can’t remember its model off the top of my head. The one with photovoltaics covering the top half of it. Look at the front facing angles, they are fairly steep, whereas the back of the car is a long, slow, gradual drop. I wouldn’t be surprised if the air flow doesn’t separate from the top of that car at all. That’s about the optimum shape for aerodynamic efficiency.

Questions?
Old 30 Jan 2002, 17:00 (Ref:206605)   #7
ParkLife
Racer

OK, becasue I'm in a good mood and trying to avaid writing this presentation I have to give tomorrow I've found you a picture. Have a look at this:

http://wsc.pv.unsw.edu.au/help/jeff/Honda.gif

Not an ideal angle but it will do.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 11:16 (Ref:207255)   #8
ParkLife
Racer

Here's a much better angle to show what I was talking about:

http://www.dtlr.gov.uk/itwp/paper/ch...ages/solar.jpg

Notice how the downward slope starts very near the front of the car.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 16:35 (Ref:207482)   #9
nreed
Rookie

nreed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jordan car

the front end looks a bit like last years ferrari. if honda built a better engine and this years car is at least competitive look for fisi to be on the podium and sato to score points i'd say. go jordan its your turn!
Old 31 Jan 2002, 16:40 (Ref:207484)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Takuma can adjust, since he apparently suffers backaches from driving the car.The nose is so high that his seating position is with his legs and feet higher than his butt, I think, from the way he describes it. Fisi seems to be fine, though. I read it at www.F1i.com.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 01:18 (Ref:207953)   #11
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's quite radical. Maybe Trulli's abilities have lured them into thinking that aero stability is not that crucial after all. By no means intent on picking on them as the super conservative path is walked way too often at teams as small as Jordan or even much bigger ones, but it's quite a gamble. Very neat features in this design the steep falling rear with exhausts now blowing out horizontally, new very compact rear suspension (got rid of the high trailing arms as far as some pics can tell), like last year in the fins one of the better designs on the grid of the chimneys and F2001-like relocated fuel intake with an aesthetically marvellous cover design, although some doubts of its practicality probably will arise when the thing has broken off too many times.

Last edited by Dino IV; 1 Feb 2002 at 01:20.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 01:29 (Ref:207961)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: jordan car

Quote:
Originally posted by nreed
the front end looks a bit like last years ferrari. if honda built a better engine and this years car is at least competitive look for fisi to be on the podium and sato to score points i'd say. go jordan its your turn!
If Honda improves engine reliability as well as power this year, and if the car proved reliable, then obviously Eddie is in with a shout. Just like all these guys yelling HOWZAT!!; but then the reliability umpire could still reply not out
Old 1 Feb 2002, 01:45 (Ref:207966)   #13
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The engine rumours on potential design failures or, let's say dissapointments, seem to have there say on the Ilmor and Honda lumps, but that kind of info is often misplaced.

Front end pretty radical as well, the bowing down nose in full swung ofcourse, with very high top and bottom arcs. If I am correct the lower wishbone pickup points are Sauber-like split as well and because the monocoque is so high up the (black) supporting arms seem the tallest seen so far.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 02:06 (Ref:207971)   #14
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Sorry for the multiple post, I come across a couple more pictures. The finish from the head protection to the sides of the cocpit and on top of the sidepod seems to end abruptly, cut-off so to speak. If it's intended to end that way and for the layer to get turbulent after that it would have featured a little edge I guess. Or more logical, the fluent section continuing after that is not in place. So either the engine\sidepod cover is not the definite one we will see in Melbourne or there's something else going on.