Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Dec 2007, 05:51 (Ref:2081144)   #1
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
chevy34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercar watts link adjuster cable

Can anyone tell me what the supercar guys are using for adjuster cables on there watts links? And where I can get it from
I just tried to use 1/4" weed eater drive shaft cable through a peice of alloy tube but it just twists up and doesn't turn the aduster.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2081187)   #2
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy34
Can anyone tell me what the supercar guys are using for adjuster cables on there watts links? And where I can get it from
I just tried to use 1/4" weed eater drive shaft cable through a peice of alloy tube but it just twists up and doesn't turn the aduster.
Hi,

What are you adjusting on the Watts Link? Where it picks up on the axle/shell? Can't figure it out I'm afraid..

Assuming that is what you want would you not be better going for a more permanent location route once it's in the right place (and get there by testing with the linkage in different, but semi-permanent, places?)

S.

Last edited by Stacy; 4 Dec 2007 at 08:02.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2081210)   #3
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
I have a V8 supercar watts link and the pivot mounts to the chassis in a alloy triangle and has a adjuster thread for moving the pivot up and down for roll center changes. The supercar boys adjust these through the rear window at pit stops via some sort of cable. I just cant seam to get anthing to work!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 08:56 (Ref:2081211)   #4
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have that much change in the roll centre and do you really need to do it that fast?
A lot of cars in our class have an adjustable Watts, but they usually have it direct via a fine thread bolt, not the cable
Old 4 Dec 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2081213)   #5
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
No only 5 to 15mm when we get it close the car is built for 3 to 6hr races so we want to be able to change it in a fuel/tyre stop if needed
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:02 (Ref:2081251)   #6
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pro level stuff, and beyond what I've done or indeed seen - but I'd second the idea of not using a cable which is I reckon more prone to failure unless you know the exact requirements (as in the team that used it). Could you not organize a lever/linkage set up aka a roll bar?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2081260)   #7
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Wait to you see some of the RX7 rear ends in IPRA Stacy,

Lever has a problem with not being accurate enough, thread is perfect for fine adjustment., maybe to a bevel gear set, rigid components

BTW the V8's are not allowed to have the roll centre adjustable by the driver, if this is not a limitation to you, then you may as well do it. changing with fuel load is more worth while than static point to point changes (that usually only happens because they have either stuffed up or the track has changed)
Old 4 Dec 2007, 20:39 (Ref:2081620)   #8
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
BTW the V8's are not allowed to have the roll centre adjustable by the driver, if this is not a limitation to you, then you may as well do it. changing with fuel load is more worth while than static point to point changes (that usually only happens because they have either stuffed up or the track has changed)
Thats quite a good idea, you could use a small electric motor geared onto the shaft and set a multi position switch on the dash.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 21:48 (Ref:2081673)   #9
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
Yeah I had thought about that but I don't want to give the driver anything more to play with roll bars and brake bias is enought for him to get confused with.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 22:59 (Ref:2081704)   #10
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy34
Yeah I had thought about that but I don't want to give the driver anything more to play with roll bars and brake bias is enought for him to get confused with.
I hear what you are saying
Old 4 Dec 2007, 23:16 (Ref:2081708)   #11
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about NASCAR style and thru the back window??
Old 4 Dec 2007, 23:22 (Ref:2081710)   #12
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
Yeah Im going to have a look at that when I get the car back on the ground but its possibly to far to reach being in the center of the car and we have a large rear wing
Old 5 Dec 2007, 05:00 (Ref:2081813)   #13
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking about it, maybe a couple of uni joints, some round bar and a few other bits, and you bring it up to the rear doors, rear window or anywhere else.

At the end of the day you really need something that can handle the torque of the turns placed on it whilst connected to the roll centre adjuster bar. And at the same time be able to relocate it from either side of the car for different pit lanes.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 08:23 (Ref:2081863)   #14
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Hopefully first sight will come this coming summer.. Just in time for your Winter..

As for fineness, I guess it depends on the relative lever ratios?

I suppose where I was going with semi-permanent, was to get it to where it needs to be then lock it up permanently. This is what we've done largely because the regs would preclude too much messing around and adjustability here. Obviously this situation isn't constrained the same way.

Appreciate the fuel load issue which is obviously a different problem to solve, but on treaded tyres (I had made that IPRA like assumption perhaps incorrectly) it still struck me that it was likely there would be only maybe 3-5 'clicks' on the adjustment from top to bottom necessary and that would more quickly and reliably achieved "in action" by a bar on a ratchet type operation.

S.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 08:51 (Ref:2081875)   #15
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
I guess its hard to discribe how this thing works but its pretty much just a cage that moves up and down via a threaded bolt its pretty simple when you see it the only issue I have is driving this threaded rod from somewhere where a tyre changer air jack man can get to it with ease.
ie: a speedo cable type drive through the back window that you can shove a speed brace/ratchet in to.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 03:04 (Ref:2082552)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Stacy, this guy will not be IPRA, and as far as I know no IP are adjustable from the drivers seat, though there are adjustable ones. (our races are too short to worry about that crap)
It was more me thinking outside the box, get the most where you can.

Chevy I think a rod with uni joints would be the way to go, a cable that is strong in both twisting directions will be just as heavy