Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Apr 2002, 21:44 (Ref:273696)   #1
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did someone ask Weatlake Eagles?

I can't find it but I would have sworn someone asked about pictures of the Westlake Eagle..so courtesy of Racer I offer these, note the lack of seatbelts...around Spa?
Attached Thumbnails
westlakeeagle.jpg  
Old 29 Apr 2002, 21:49 (Ref:273703)   #2
strad
Veteran

And this one....
Attached Thumbnails
gurneyeagle.jpg  
Old 30 Apr 2002, 20:19 (Ref:274788)   #3
strad
Veteran

HAHAHAHAHAHA ...Fat Finger Syndrome strikes again..
Westlake Eagle......LOL
Come on moderator...fix that Topic Title so I don't look like such an idiot......
Old 30 Apr 2002, 21:23 (Ref:274877)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we all knew what you meant Strad.

Pretty cars and not too bad in their time.
Old 1 May 2002, 11:36 (Ref:275430)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautiful cars, those Eagles - I remember a similar set of photos in F1 Racing about a year ago.

Gee those old cars look so nice, too bad I never got to see them race. Born about two decades too late...
Old 1 May 2002, 15:15 (Ref:275655)   #6
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by strad
HAHAHAHAHAHA ...Fat Finger Syndrome strikes again..
Westlake Eagle......LOL
Come on moderator...fix that Topic Title so I don't look like such an idiot......
Do you want the heading to read "Westlake" strad?
Or should it be the correct name?
Old 1 May 2002, 18:52 (Ref:275798)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's actually WESLAKE
Old 1 May 2002, 19:49 (Ref:275870)   #8
strad
Veteran

Yes,,God I'll get it right yet.....Weslake....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 1 May 2002, 20:02 (Ref:275880)   #9
djeffries
Rookie

djeffries should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just simply the best looking grand prix car ever......apparently there is a 1/18 die cast model out this summer, I think its by AutoArt
Old 1 May 2002, 21:05 (Ref:275950)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
When I was but a lad there was a model shop in Aldershot which had some built up kits of these and other cars of the period in its window.
Old 4 May 2002, 05:26 (Ref:278180)   #11
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice shots, the person who did them knows how to use his/her lighting. Very nice highlights thrown in and good control of keeping the main lights off the background.
Car photography is a real speciality.

The sixties cars really did have sensuous bodies didn't they? Particularly like the upper lip on the front intake.
And the pipes, ahh those pipes. (anyone ever heard the Bill Cosby routine about getting a Shelby made car with "pipes" and a plaque stating that the car was faster than anything that McQueen ever owned? The great part was that Cosby never got it past starting it up, as the fanstastic noise (imitated by him of course) scared him silly enough to not even put it in gear)
Old 5 May 2002, 02:45 (Ref:278750)   #12
strad
Veteran

Yes it is...Yes they were...haven't heard that one...
Old 12 May 2002, 22:23 (Ref:284285)   #13
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Eagle Weslake

I know, I know...picky, picky, picky. However I must set the record straight. It was not a Weatlake Eagle, a Westlake Eagle, NOR a Weslake Eagle. It WAS an Eagle (built by AAR) powered by a Weslake engine....otherwise known as an Eagle Weslake (as in McLaren Mercedes or Williams BMW; not the other way around which would imply that the engine manufacturer created the car.)

From AtlasF1.com:

"Bruce McLaren and Dan Gurney became constructors with McLaren usually relying either on a modified Indy Ford V8 or a Serenissima V8 in a chassis designed by Robin Herd, later one of the founders of Grand Prix and Indy Car Constructor March. Gurney's new All American Racers organization, which Gurney founded with Carrol Shelby, fielded a new car called the Eagle, which ran an old 2.5 litre 4 cylinder Climax until the new Weslake V12 engine Gurney had commissioned was ready."

Old 12 May 2002, 23:01 (Ref:284337)   #14
strad
Veteran

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Well now..have got this straightened out?
Thanks for your input Jim,,you are of course correct.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:14 (Ref:287119)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, er. Who was who asked the question originally?
Old 15 May 2002, 17:03 (Ref:287475)   #16
strad
Veteran

heck if I know...I would have sworn somebody asked.....
Old 7 Dec 2007, 06:25 (Ref:2083368)   #17
dave walsh
Rookie

dave walsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a westlake engine im trying to find out some history about. it is a 351 v8 with 4 valve heads and lucas injection. i believe these were fitted to f5000 cars in the 60s/70s.does anyone know what chassis this engine was fitted to and what this engine would sell for?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 07:30 (Ref:2083389)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its actually Weslake. Welcome Dave.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2084277)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The weakness of the Eagle was the engine that could not be compared with DFV.It won at Spa because Jim Clark stopped after being so Quick in practise.
I remember it well,I was sitting on the outside at Burneville and walking across the road to get a beer inbetween the cars,Those were the days
Old 9 Dec 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2084995)   #20
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave

Dennis Leech ran his F5000 Chevron B28 with a Chev with Weslake 4 valve heads. Was this the one you were thinking about?