Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jan 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2112417)   #1
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 Teams : Who's going UP, and who's going DOWN?

So with the 2008 season ready to go, who are your tips for the winners and losers on the 2008 Teams points standings?

I reckon:
2008 Team (2007)
1 HRT (up 2)
2 888 (same)
3 FPR (up 1)
4 HSVDT (down 3)
5 Tasman (up 2)
6 DJR (same)
7 SBR (down 2)
8 GRM (same)
9 PMM (up 3)
10 JDR (up 6)
11 BRIT (up 2)
12 WPS (down 3)
13 BJR (up 4)
14 PCR (up 1)
15 RNR (down 4)
16 PWR (down 6)
17 TKR (down 3)
- WALD down and out already???

Summary: Tander takes HRT to No1(ouch), 888 lack Ford teams support to beat HMS/WP, FPR need better results from SR, HSVDT lose quality driver, Tasman consolidate on Grech, SBR flounder with shaky 2nd car, PMM and JDR enjoy Ingall/Kelly points, Britek keep cars straight, WPS lack of development(but drivers better than BJR), BJR and PCR profit from TKR/RNR/PWR all being weaker in 08.

Last edited by davester; 24 Jan 2008 at 05:22.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2112477)   #2
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i reckon this year is going to be extremely difficult to predict i sure make any bets on who will be on top at the end of the year but i will say that the likes of fpr and 888 will probably be the best out of the blocks considering the form at the end of last year and most of the other top teams have had major changes of some sort - by the way i am a holden fan but this is just how i see it happening
Old 24 Jan 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2112507)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ummmm...ok they are a single-car team....but an 888 car with SBR Engines doing a full season in the same car and without the missed rounds of 2007, with Kayne Scott at the wheel, and allegedly Chris Pither when Kayne is "unavailable due to Petchy duties", and you are saying that TKR will be down 3 spots on last year.

And if Phil and Oscar are spinning the spanners, allegedly the case or proposed case, last in the teams' championship?

Really?

Wow!
Old 24 Jan 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2112532)   #4
davester
Racer

JDI,

Yep, thats what I'm say'n. TKR have broken preparation, not run the car before, if it's ex-PCR then it isn't a recent generation 888 shell, they have 2 drivers who are not V8SC proven (like JDR in 07), and there may still be issues around a full seasons budget (I hope PC and OF get their NZ$ upfront). There are no public indications that the financial side has improved (aside from pay drivers, which IMO is a good move when things are tight, its better to live than fold).

Last year they had alright gear as well, and a top pilot early...but to no avail.

I wish them well, I wish all teams well, but thats where I see it.
Where do you see it? BTW the whole mid-field is pretty tough to rate, especially Britek, JDR and PMM.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2112552)   #5
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone here on this thread think walden motorsport have a chance of doin anything this year? and wat about FRSR they definately out of the picture? and any idea on who would be driving for these guys?
Old 24 Jan 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2112626)   #6
davester
Racer

Walden, for 2008 at least appear to have their destiny in others hands, which will be uncomfortable, and likely to net a nil return on their investment thus far.

PWR are a little different, they have the resources to run, it is just their preference to sell, but need to run until they sell to avoid the liq. damages.

I would also presume that RNR could be assisted by Longhurst (by court order) to purchase the Wills license (which they ironically own). RNR however, depending on their cash position could scoop a cheap license from the many on offer. The week before Clipsal could be the franchise fire "sale of the century" week.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 04:26 (Ref:2122157)   #7
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the comings-and-goings of various drivers and personnel, the teams on the move up and down become considerably harder to pick. I will have a crack at it anyway.....

The biggest loser on paper, so far at least in 2008, looks to be the artist formerly known as the Toll HSV Dealer Team. Uncle Tom's Hitler-esk meddling with his 'Army' has effectively stripped the winning ingredients from this team and dispatched it to HRT in a bid to regain some respect for Team Red. In doing so he has run the risk of de-stablising both outfits, leaving HSV a shell of it's former self. In real terms he now has 2 very competitive cars rather than 4, as there is no guarantees that Crawford/Neilson/Tander will improve the winning % any further...and it is hard to see R.Kelly and Dumbrell trudging forward with the 'left overs'.

The K-mart/Toll/HSV outfit has been the most successful Holden team of the last 5 years, and now most of the key ingredients are being shifted to something of a 'dad's army' in a bid to re-instate 'Team Red' as the premier Holden team, and slapping aside the HSV dealer team like a red-headed stepchild...and to add insult to injury, Paul Dumbrell is signed as Tander's replacement. Oh dear...hardly a fair swap is it ?

Speaking of key ingredients... I have to say i like the new look BJR. After a few seasons of struggling, it looks like everything is in place to make a bold resurgence. The signing of McConville and Storey where terrific moves, and the HRT equipment in the shed will be well utilised and engineered. Now Finally, we might have the opportunity to see Cam McConville shine in front line gear....i also expect him to absolutely hose Andrew Jones (again...). Certainly one team on the up.

With Storey gone and only rumours of a flagship sponsor and strong rumours of low morale, it is hard to see Tasman holding their position in 2008, let alone going forward. Looks like another long season of a Murphy sook-a-thon... although i expect to see some spirited efforts from Jason Richards in the damp stuff.

My darkhorse for 2008 is Todd Kelly. Larry's latest masterstroke gives Todd a lung full of fresh air and some new direction, exactly what he needs to take the next step in his career and become his own man. In Todd, the undoubtely talented Shane Price has an experienced team-mate to lean on and the whole team will move forward, and I dont think it will be long before the Toddler is back near the sharp end. These two will be quite an endurance pairing as well...

On the blue side, FPR and Triple 8 should be giggling themselves stupid. All of the upheavals and change has been predominately on the red side of the fence and both these leading outfits have stability for the season and both teams had jets of car's late in the year of 07, with the short off-season i dont expect much to change here.

Hell, even the paint schemes of the team cars are subtle evolutions on last year... Winterbottom and Whincup will start early season favorites. Lowndes has his new car and Richo has a year with the BF now and was starting to look very quick towards the end of last year.

DJR are in the same boat.. more of the same. A second year with T8 goodies and a rumoured bigger budget, DJR should be sneaking along nicely just under the radar again this year. By enduro time, Junior and Davison should be quite a force again...
Old 6 Feb 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2122168)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me it is:
1 - HRT - (looks very good on paper as long as in in house rivalry dosn't start-up and cause friction to distract them from the ultimat goal.

2 - 888 - always solid and consistante 2 good drivers can't really say any more but i do see them as bridesmaids again in 08.

3 - FPR - well should get a better start this year car and drivers speak for themselves especially Frosty but i don't think they can overhaul the top 2.

4 - DJR - last year had glimpses of the teams former self and i think this year they will show a few more

5 - BJR - switch to Holden will take a few rounds to get used to but i think they will come on strong especially McConville.

6 - Tasman - slow first couple of rounds but i think when the new cars com on i think they will lift, new sponser to go aswell i think some good resaults will lift them and they will go on to get a few more.

7 - SBR - i think JC will improve and Shane will have to learn the first half of the year but i think a couple good resaults.

8 - HSV - will be hurt by the champ and key personel leaving but consistant Rick will keep them in the 10.

9 - JDR - Todd will be a major boost but i think having 2 rookies develop the VE last year will hurt them early on abit but i expect a few good resaults.

10 - GRM - WP engines ill help but i still don't think it will help enough throw them into the mix.

11 - BRI - glimpses last year but i think Bright can turn those glimpses into some good resaults.

12 - PMM - inclusion of Ingall and a new sponser will be good but not good enough to climb them to the top of the ladder.

13 - WPS - same old really missing out on the FPR cars is a blow now they have to use the old barges they have.

14 - RNR - i think Tony can surprise a few but being a one car outfit you can't expect to leap frog 2 car teams.

15 - PCR - good driver decent car but same reason as above you can only do so much as single car team.

16 - PWR - good driver, good technical alliance, suspect car, maybe some glimpses but that car was a dog last season.

17 - TKR - good driver, decent car but going on their own for the first time in a while will hurt them abit.

18 - WAL - on again, off again, on again, off again, storey of this team really can't see much happening here.

well thats what my crystal ball tells me anyway.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 6 Feb 2008 at 05:22.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2122212)   #9
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 - HRT - Tander fan. Gotta say he'll get them there. Skaife better than average No.2

2 - 888 - Top 2 last year. Nothings changed, top 2 again

3 - FPR - Super fast last year. Now can they just sought out the first half of the year

4 - DJR - Nothings changed. Davison will shine this year. Backed up well by under-rated Johnson

5 - HSV - Rick is consistent enough to keep them up there. IMO Dumbrell may suprise

6 - SBR - Reasonable driver pairing if a little inconsistent

7 - Tasman - Fast drivers with an improving team behind them (losing Storey may hurt though)

8 - JDR - I still believe Perkins builds a good car even if it is often lacking that ultimate pace. Kelly to really bring on Price

=9 - GRM & BJR - Can't seperate this pair. Holdsworth and McConville are strong. No 2 drivers will decide who comes out on top

11 - PMM - Russell says he's fired up. What else is there to say

12 - Britek - Bright should go well. Could depend on how the new car goes when introduced mid-season. Jury still out on Marshall

13 - If those FPR cars aren't coming, they will never be any better than top 20 runners

14 - RNR - Not gonna beat a 2 car team. Nash team has good experience to help D'Alberto

15 - PCR - 3rd year now, good equipment. Time to start moving forward

16 - FRSR - Good equipment. Patrizi unknown quantity. FPR could really help

17 - PWR - Good tech support. Car might not be as bad as first thought. I think team unstability may of had a bit to do with last years disaster

18 - TKR - Going alone will be tough early along with reasonably inexperienced driver. Fujitsu is not the main game

19 - WMS - Single car, maybe single crew i don't know. Haven't heard much at all. Walden apparently driving and hoping for top 25 results. Where else can you put them?

Just my thoughts
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2122254)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forgot to put FRSR in:

17 - FRSR - good car late start and a driver with no Supercar knowledge will hurt.

drop teams lower than included entry down 1.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 06:14 (Ref:2123004)   #11
Wood-duck
Racer

Agree on SBR, at times they can have pace and then it seems to dribble away.. take last year for example. Cars quick at Bathurst and Indy, then take them to Symmons Plains and they are pigs...

The very good teams - 888, FPR, HRT, HSV, seem to be able to dial in to most tracks very quickly, and this is something SBR need to re-gain. Hard as it is to say, I reckon that 2008 is going to be a lean year for SBR. Courtney will be therabouts but it will take Van Gisbergen a little longer to find his feet.

I reckon Russell left at the right time. The "Enforcer" has had an uncanny knack of timing things very well - he bounced into SBR at a great time... and it will be interesting to see how the Morris outfit goes having to answer to a bona-fide sponsor. Russell may not be as quick as he once was, but it wont stop him having a crack. The additional financial resources will not go astray either and maybe we will get to see just how good a PMM Commodore really is. The Acid test will be on Morris now he has a star team-mate in equal equipment....

GRM..hmmm... the only thing seemingly holding them back last year was good old fashioned HP. The chassis balance seemed quite good, and the cars looked good. With WP power this should vault them over Tasman,SBR and co, but I cant help but think that Stumpy Canto was a major contributing factor to the speed of the GRM VE's. Holdsworth will be really tested this year and we might all find out just how good he really is. Caruso is a curious choice as number 2, Rogers wanted fresh talent - he had that with Canto, and if Caruso isnt paying, then why flick Canto.. Doesnt add up. Anyway, Caruso had a big advantage in Fujitsu with an ex-FPR chassis. Now he will have to work a little harder for his meal ticket....could make or break the boy.

Britek - is it confirmed they have SBRE power ? Brighty was quoted several times last year saying the only thing holding Britek back was engine speed. IF they can get SBRE or even DJR power, this should give them a boost. Bright is a talent, and a good car sorter and has generally improved the stock of the teams he has been with. I think he will be the big improver in 2008 if the power is there. Marshall.. well... Top 20 shot at best...

Of the rest, PCR looks the pick. Fabian Coulthard with something to prove,A great car to start with (rather than an old hack) full of T8 goodies and 2 years of main game experience behind them. on the up.

WPS - no FPR chassis, then may the slide begin.. Bargwanna might has well be driving Robbie Francevic's 1985 ATCC Volvo for all the good his current car is... In fact this year it should just about qualify for the Muscle car masters...If they can get FPR chassis, then this will make it interesting...These guys seem so well funded and resourced, it is a suprise they havent built new equipment. With an FPR chassis though.. could turn the tables real quick. "How good would that be?" hey bargs ?

The scrap for the top 20 fringe will be exciting though....PWR with Rob Starr will be interesting to watch, but I cant see them breaking to far into the top 20 in the first half of the year. FRSR - Patrizi - no V8 experience.... hmmm....interesting choice, a steep learning curve for driver and team. D'Alberto gets his chance too, and the RNR team have a shiny VE to play with, but the serial over-achievers may find it much tougher this year without the skills of Steve Owen.

TKR - Kayne Scott has been around now for what seems like ages, and gets a shot to prove his mettle. Decent results in Fujistu and NZ V8's, and an ex-T8 chassis makes for a decent package on paper, but judging by what he has to beat, it will be a tough ask. Could sneak into the top 15 given the right conditions.

And the 'David Thexton Mobile chicane' will undoubtably be whatever the Walden's turn up in...

Last edited by Wood-duck; 7 Feb 2008 at 06:23.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2123019)   #12
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck
Britek - is it confirmed they have SBRE power ? Brighty was quoted several times last year saying the only thing holding Britek back was engine speed. IF they can get SBRE or even DJR power, this should give them a boost.
It was originally reported they were getting DJR engines i think as part of the Marshall buy in at DJR/Marshall Jr at Britek. However Marshall is not a partner a DJR as a new buyer has joined. Maybe SBRE will be the way to go. Even the WPS motors seem quite strong. Maybe they'd be worth a shot
Old 7 Feb 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2123063)   #13
Wood-duck
Racer

yeah true madman, i saw i think on a pro racer list that Britek down as SBR power.. just hadnt seen it confirmed anywhere. It wouldnt be a dumb move on Brighty's part...