Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2124002)   #1
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trec.....

I don’t know if I’ve missed any news on this.

Is TREC completely dead and buried?

Or are TEGA/Ross Oakley quietly working away at a revised version to make it workable?

Over to you GTR!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2124438)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The powder room suggests that the TREC plan as they had intended rolling it out has been shelved...

... but that the technical boffins who make the oily bits go faster and faster shall move along towards more common-spec componentry, in order to reduce costs

I somehow suspect it is in the VESA playbook to try and wangle a single supplier for engines for each side of the fence.. although nobody seems to be admitting as much. Ford is a fair way down that path with SBRE, Holden similarly with WP supplying most of their mafioso familia...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Feb 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2124567)   #3
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting that you have brought this up now TBA, after a long silence from VESA. There is no doubt it is dead (thank goodness!).

The recent talk of introducing this into F1 saw this written on autosport.com a week or so back;

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64879;

David Richards thinks the lessons of the Australian V8 Supercar championship, where a similar Total Racing Expenditure Cap (TREC) was scrapped after one season, should be heeded.

"I don't believe it is going to work," he told autosport.com. "I don't think it is a viable proposition. I have seen it in Australia where it has been abandoned.

"Maybe it plays to my strengths because I started life as an accountant, but I got out of accountancy to go into motor racing and I don't want to go back there."

Richards believes it is virtually impossible to legislate against the biggest spending teams being successful.

"I think budget capping is an excuse for poor technical regulations. With proper technical controls, you should be able to manage the costs of F1. It is also about sporting regulations as well.

"It is a bit like a government trying to control a situation through measures that are inappropriate. At the end of the day, you should make sure in motorsport that there is a level playing field as best you can. But you cannot fight market forces and try and artificially influence that the best guys aren't going to come to the front."

Last edited by 00 XR8; 9 Feb 2008 at 00:49.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.