Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Feb 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2139083)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so what was russells excuse in qualifying and race one then FJ?

but you are right, he did well and we should just enjoy the ride
Old 27 Feb 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2139223)   #27
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure Rusty had an oil leak in qualifying.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2139654)   #28
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
so what was russells excuse in qualifying and race one then FJ?

but you are right, he did well and we should just enjoy the ride
Qualifying? I didn't watch it, so I can't comment PMM wasn't exactly a front running team last year, one qualifying session won't fix that.

Race 1? He was pacy when he had all 6 gears. He was moving up the field rather well until the gearbox dramas.

I'm not saying he will blitz the field. But he will be a big part of that team moving forward.

And the Giz? He needs more credit for his performance in Adelaide than channel 7 gave him. A first up good performance in a tight street circuit known for its unforgiving nature is worthy of a bit more TV and race coverage. If he keeps going like this, he will get the coverage.

He was one of the rare few not involved in a verbal slanging match. Maybe he's gotta ramp that up a bit...
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2139717)   #29
TheTaipan
Rookie

TheTaipan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great drive by the Giz.

Another notable youngster was Fabian Coulthard... sure his car broke, and that was bad luck, but he was progressing up the field and had a very quick car both in Adelaide and at the Queensland practice day... Its great to see such good new blood in the sport - Giz, Coulthard, Holdsworth, Winterbottom, Whincup...
Old 28 Feb 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2139806)   #30
Fireball
Rookie

Australia
Thomastown
Fireball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I saw, he just didnt put around either, he was mixing it up..I liked it.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2139836)   #31
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did a great job, on a track he has never driven at before.

I expected him to get eaten up with all those restarts at the end of race 2, but he drove like a seasoned veteran.
Actually, much better than the veterans around him.

Big ups little cheese!!

Nice to see SBR with some car speed again too!!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:30 (Ref:2139841)   #32
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
well actually that is what we call him.

Watching the race on sunday we decided that this year our t shirts for bathurst will have a "Giz theme" in my opinion that means he has made it. So look for the bright yellow "Giz " t shirts at bathurst

Naturally it will include the line , "as beaten by peckstar on Batracer.com"

I look forward to watching him race at EC hope he gets a bit more coverage, I reckon his car came acrross pretty good on tv

Here's an idea from a 1980's TV ad campaign (looks innocently at NAC :casual for your Bathurst T-shirts, Pecky: Giz a taste of Kiwi!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2139844)   #33
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely on the Giz Bandwagon.
Had high hopes that SBR took him on for the #9 seat, and was very pleased to see the Dumbrell option binned.

This season's start is showing a lot more possible Top10 runners than in previous years, so is very hard to pick so far, but after his SBR debut last weekend, I have no doubt he has what it takes to play with the 'big boys' at any round.
Not sure what experience he has had at EC either, particularly in a V8SC, did he race the TKR car there last year, cant remember what part of the year that round was held?

edit: love the Giz Bathurst Shirt idea peckstar
Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2139956)   #34
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Here's an idea from a 1980's TV ad campaign ( looks innocently at NAC ) for your Bathurst T-shirts, Pecky: Giz a taste of Kiwi!
A small correction on my earlier post with respect to icons
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2140369)   #35
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's settled into being a tough racer too despite not yet clocking up a full season in V8s... Perhaps he honed his skills on the simulator huh JDI? :P

One time I gritted my teeth was when he was involved 4-wide in a drag race up Bartells road! but he (and the more experienced drivers) held their nerve to slot in through turn 8...

Well done, and 6th in the championship he'll be stoked!
Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:42 (Ref:2140606)   #36
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the delay in reply, been on a whirl wind tour of the middle Nth Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck
Well scott dixon was an early tin top driver for those who remember the problems he had in a Nissan Sentra. He drove by the seat of his pants in those days.
Tell me about it, Scotties Sentra sat in my back yard for 6mths after that biff before it got repaired. I take it the seat of his pants comment was due to the pillow taped to his backside. For those that know that race was an enduro and his co-driver was much bigger than the young 13 year old, he could actually see over the dash and the pillow was strapped to his back not his arse.

Back on topic

peckstar - how about Gee Giz

F J Nedos - It's your hat your suppose to eat Good for you for standing up and admitting it. Ditto on the more credit from TV

BlueBlood - Big ups little cheese!!, nice to see others are still calling him by his real name. PS I just realised I still owe you couple of pics, sorry bud call me slack

JDI - Good to see your sense of .. .. humor is still .. .. in tact

Timu - What was bizarre with that turn was it looked like he found more exit speed.by being forced wide, in the seconds after that turn he was a good car 2 lengths in front of the other 3
Old 29 May 2008, 12:34 (Ref:2214611)   #37
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
RaceRant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real talent for sure, but what's most impressive that he's still a humble, down-to-earth youngster.

It's really funny to see these young kiwis grow through the ranks together. They start circuit racing young (some as young as 12) and follow the general kiwi path of Formula Vee to Formula Ford (ala Dixon). Then they progress to TRS or tintops, BUT they all still wander around the pits together, having a laugh, supporting and analysing each others races and in most cases their families have similar relationships with one another.

None are in awe of one another. The Giz, Earl Bamber, Jono Lester and a number of other single seater up-and-comers in Andrew Waite, the Evans brothers, Michael Burdett.

That just goes to show the way it still tends to be in NZ. The talent only gets better, but for the mostpart, and aside from all the driving, mental and physical prep, data analysis, media and sponsors stuff, they do the sport for the love of it and theyre all bloody good mates.

Shane's doing them all proud; I'm sure they wanna join him again some day!

Last edited by RaceRant; 29 May 2008 at 12:40.