Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2236519)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
The support races are not exactly... err exciting.
If you dont find the supports exciting, what could you possibly think of the v8 races?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2236534)   #27
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The support races are not exactly... err exciting.
Exactly, get rid of the support races. How many people would be watching Race 2 on a Sunday and rather than sitting through the support race walk away and get sidetracked / find something else to do and forget to come back for Race 3 ?

The coverage is too long and there's too much non V8 related material. On V8 race weekends they should only show the V8s, and delay the supports a week later like 10 used to.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2236650)   #28
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
The coverage is too long and there's too much non V8 related material. On V8 race weekends they should only show the V8s, and delay the supports a week later like 10 used to.
Am i reading right, too much motorsport on TV?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2236855)   #29
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Am i reading right, too much motorsport on TV?
No, too much of the lower categories interfering with the coverage of the main game which is what a majority of casual viewers want to watch. Hence the drop in ratings.

Guy watches Race 2 on Sunday then gets up and goes and does something else and then his Missus sees him and starts nagging to do something around the house, play with the kids and then he can't get back to Race 3 or he forgets.

Two things can be learned from this, don't ever get married and have kids and Channel 7 need to shorten the coverage on V8 weekends.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2236889)   #30
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Two things can be learned from this, don't ever get married and have kids and Channel 7 need to shorten the coverage on V8 weekends.
That's why I got Foxtel IQ box Can watch what I record later, and if it's boring, use the fast forward function. Works great for getting through some of those boring races.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2236961)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, too much of the lower categories interfering with the coverage of the main game which is what a majority of casual viewers want to watch. Hence the drop in ratings.

Guy watches Race 2 on Sunday then gets up and goes and does something else and then his Missus sees him and starts nagging to do something around the house, play with the kids and then he can't get back to Race 3 or he forgets.

I don't get this 'elitist' attitude.

At the end of the day it is a motorsport broadcast, and people watching are tuning in to see cars racing on a racetrack, and not people waffling away in between races.

Ultimatly isn't the aim to get people who catch the races on TV interested in coming to the circuits to spectate? What happens then when they will be introduced to the 'boring' support races, banish them and shorten up the raceday program for V8s only so you can cram the race meeting into 3hrs?

The support races are just as deserving of sameday coverage as the mainevent (it was only a channel 10 theme from about 2000-onwards not to show support races anyway, prior to that they were always usually a part of the telecast)
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:27 (Ref:2236975)   #32
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Buckshot your profile places a you a bit older than what I call the "now" generation but you have a similar attitude. If it isn't what they want then don't show it. I have to say I come from an older generation where the coverage gave you everything there was on a program. More is the pity that it doesn't happen now. Some of these young blokes with talent but no money may actually advance a bit further in the lower categories if they are on Tv and are able to attract sponsorship because of it.
I have to say some of the so called "boring" support races actually contain far better racing than the main game a lot of the time. Quite often it is only the hype and buildup which gives an impression otherwise.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2236982)   #33
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not disputing anything that others have brought up. Nor am I against the introduction of young talent.

But people want to see the stars. People also want to see the best motor-racing entertainment going. That's still V8SC in this country. Albert Park anyone? Yes, a lot of the patrons go there for the V8SC, not necessarily the F1s and probably safe to say, they don't go there for the celebrities in the Fiats.

I'm no different.

As boring as V8SC is becoming, or appears to be for some, the lesser categories certainly won't attract the exposure that has helped to catapult V8SC to prime time (TV) entertainment over the years. The support races are there to keep the venue crowds 'interested' but it does very little for TV, IMHO.

Last edited by SSbaby; 25 Jun 2008 at 06:40.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2236984)   #34
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The type of coverage that I would be after (if I actually watched ) would be exactly like I was at the track myself. A full card (or at least a large portion of it) televised live, with a commentator who was attatched to the category, with the "main" series given a slot somewhere in there
I would also feel free for all the days ad breaks to be taken during the Mini Challenge, so the rest of the day is ad free.

Quote:
I'm not disputing anything that others have brought up. Nor am I against the introduction of young talent.

But people want to see the stars. People also want to see the best motor-racing entertainment going. That's still V8SC in this country. Albert Park anyone? Yes, a lot of the patrons go there for the V8SC, not necessarily the F1s and probably safe to say, they don't go there for the celebrities in the Fiats.

I'm no different.

As boring as V8SC is becoming, or appears to be for some, the lesser categories certainly won't attract the exposure that has helped to catapult V8SC to prime time (TV) entertainment over the years. The support races are there to keep the venue crowds 'interested' but it does very little for TV, IMHO.
I went to the GP for the Fiats, but some would say thats because I'm just different.
As for the best racing in Australia? V8SC is MotorENTERTAINMENT, if you want to see real racing, go and watch a state racing series. The racing there is (IMO) second to none, and the guys who are out there aren't in it for the money, or to get their mug on the box. They are there because they love it, and are out to enjoy themselves.
Mick

Last edited by bludvl_x19; 25 Jun 2008 at 06:47.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2237117)   #35
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I don't get this 'elitist' attitude.

At the end of the day it is a motorsport broadcast, and people watching are tuning in to see cars racing on a racetrack, and not people waffling away in between races.
So during the telecast of the State Of Origin or the AFL Grand Final they stop everything and show a match with the under 14s ? No, they don't. They show the premiere category only.

I get it that people want to watch the support races, I used to do that myself, I used to watch absolutely everything Channel 10 or Speedweek used to show but I just became bored with them.

I'm not saying stop showing the support races, just show them in the following weeks - that way you have races to watch everyweek and the people that are only interested in watching the V8s might start coming back.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2237119)   #36
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But for SoO, the game is still in progress (ok, half time) and there is only going to be a 10-15min break, not multiple hours of dead time to fill.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2239803)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So during the telecast of the State Of Origin or the AFL Grand Final they stop everything and show a match with the under 14s ? No, they don't.
That is the worst example of the situation you have tried to describe. By no means are CC, FF comparable as under 14s against what the v8s have floating up round after round.

I love the supports, if the v8s are boring, more boring v8s arent the answer to getting more people to watch
Old 30 Jun 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2240189)   #38
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Ok guys, I'm wrong, my bad. Let's all sit through the hour plus of support categories and I'll meet you all the "Mini Challenge - Australia's most boring motorsport ?" thread, I'll race you there.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2240260)   #39
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair go

Quote:
So during the telecast of the State Of Origin or the AFL Grand Final they stop everything and show a match with the under 14s ? No, they don't. They show the premiere category only.
Buck is not entirely wrong.

I love the supports but Buck your analogy is wrong - compare those footy events with Bathurst not Symons or Barbagallo, part of the lead up to the main day.

It is true that many of todays followers are V8 fans not motorsport fans just as many of the AGP crowd are 'event animals' not motorsport fans.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2240266)   #40
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Ok guys, I'm wrong, my bad. Let's all sit through the hour plus of support categories and I'll meet you all the "Mini Challenge - Australia's most boring motorsport ?" thread, I'll race you there.
I'm not arguing that the support categories aren't fantastic, they are all one-make or Ford/Holden classes only (bar the Biante's), hardly stuff that will get people excited (bar the Formula Fords), there is definate work to be done there.....it's a pity the likes of the Sports Sedans don't get to play and the Biante's don't get TV time....

I'm just arguing the fact that support races have as much right to be shown as the main race, hell its the support categories paying for their sameday airtime afterall.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2240313)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its an interesting one, i really dont have time to sit down and watch 4 hours of tv on a sunday (or monday) espeacially if i have watched a couple of hours on a saturday, so i am going to use the break between races to do other stuff.

When they show a formula ford race (or other race) we only get one of the races, so we dont get the full story of what is happening, it would be better to put them all together so i can watch them all in what hit.

of course the other side is ch 7 are trying to be close to live. without the support races the would eitehr have a disjointed telecast or a big gap, better to show a support class and give some sponsors some tv, even if the rating drop in that time. alternatively we can have a delayed telecast of race two and a close to live telecast of race three