Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 26 Nov 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2341824)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Size Matter?

So, does size matter, or is it all in how you use it?

Ok, so no we're not having THAT age old discussion...

World Superbike is closing the gap on Moto GP in terms of race pace. Pirelli are pledging to knock another 6 tenths off of race pace with next year's tire supply. Meanwhile, Moto GP is looking to slow the bikes down with their tire rule, in order to slow cornering speeds.

Crash.net provides some time comparisons that are interesting. They used six tracks from this year where both machines compete. The average time difference from the fastest bikes from each class is about 2.85 seconds. The average time difference from the slowest bikes from each class is about 0.34 seconds. Where is Schummy when we need him...

WSBK provides better racing, and I enjoy watching the action for that. But Moto GP does have the prestige to be honest, so that does keep me tuned in. I have to think that Moto GP wouldn't be too thrilled with a closer gap though. Thoughts?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...ogp_speed.html
Old 26 Nov 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2341979)   #2
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We shouldn't forget that the motogp bikes (all bikes have 4 cylinder engines) have 200cc less than the wsbk 4 cylinder bikes. The 2 cylinder wsbk bikes have 400cc more than the motogp bikes. If we'd still have the 990cc motogp bikes how fast would they be going by now??

Also, there should be a limit of how fast the bikes can go (sjeez, that sounds weird). I think we've seen some scary crashes in motogp in 2008. I remember Hopkins and Capirossi at Assen, they went down pretty fast and both ended up at the back of the kittylitter.

In the meantime the manufacturers seem to develop roadlegal bikes, with a sole reason of existance for racing in WSBK (the new R1 jumps to mind, but more obvious the 1200cc '1098' ).

The WSBK guys have been close to the GP boys for a while now. I think in 2009 WSBK will be getting quicker while Motogp will be getting a bit slower (not much though). Don't forget 250cc and WSS aren't that far behind.

When I watch Motogp or WSBK, I don't think about how much faster or slower the other class is. I just want good racing!
Old 26 Nov 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2342296)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At some tracks the SBK and GO times have eben close before.

AT Donington there was never much difference for a few years.

In theory the WSBK bikes have mroe torque and as the electronics develop there, those bikes could go quicker. I would imagine if they were using bespoke Michelin and Dunlop tyres they would be much quicker by now.

Pirelli are a decent tyre but not a patch on Michelin in their prime in WSBK but they will want to push on as Bridgestone slow the pace up and make harder GP tyres.

ALl I want to hear is that Ezpeleta goes through with the electronics rule, thats what we all want