Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Dec 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2358628)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another one for fun weirdest moment in 08

i know i have started similar threads before but as a bit of fun while its quiet i thought...............

what was your wierdest/funniest moment of 2008.

wierdest for me had to be paul sheard in the ginetta's at the oulton f3/gt opener. writing his ginetta off slamming in to the armco at lakeside, while on the warm lap all on his own.

funniest has to be messing with mike kelly at hotel medico at anglesey circuit whenever he falls asleep drunk! OR
me and mr fazza re-sponsoring pit bulls car for him with our own logos at anglesey.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 04:10 (Ref:2358657)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has to be my 5 minutes of fame as a grid "person" for Nicola Larini at the WTCC meeting at Brands Hatch, after the grid girl fainted, and the comments I got from Nicola, his crew and Bryan Degerland. I don't plan to make a career out of it, but it still makes me laugh, you just had to be there.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2358729)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funniest was watching a bentley guy drive one of the brand new cars, not really designed for agility, round the cholmondley estate during the pageant of power. faster than most of the competing cars. sideways. with a big fat grin on his face

we applauded him on his 2nd lap round we enjoyed it that much.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2358811)   #4
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VSCC meet Oulton Park. Shell corner. Driver spins on the apex and then drives infield, uphill on the grass to park next to the marshals' catch fencing. Turns out he was dizzy from the spin and just wanted a rest. Bless ...
Old 20 Dec 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2358816)   #5
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F3/GT weekend at Silverstone, FFord (need I go on?), car takes chequered flag fishtailing wildly (no-one else in sight), regains control then loses it again, spins across grass oposite pits, takes out an advertising board, a corner marker then hits the wall. He gingerly climbs out of the car muttering something about 'some ****' and 'testing my steering'.

Priceless.........
Old 20 Dec 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2358872)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Mt weirdest one has to be the XR3 at Anglesey who lost it going into the Corkscrew. The car thumped fairly heavily into the tyrewall, scattering tyres in all directions - the marshals at Post 13 were seen to flinch! One of the tyres ended up on the bonnet of the car, perfectly centred, just like the spare on a Landy; undeterred, our gallant hero drove off across the grass & back onto the track in the second part of the Corkscrew, which was not being used as we were on the International circuit. He then braked, which dislodged the tyre, which slid onto the track in front of the car; he drove over it, wedging it under the car...

Then there was the Formula Vee which lost its oil filter coming out of the assembly area at Anglesey, depositing several litres of lovely clean oil on the track.

Not so much a moment as a series of moments: Caterham Academy at Oulton, a very wet practice for their first ever circuit race. On their first lap I watched them all through Foulstons, then looked up the track towards Shell where there was a car stopped across the track facing the observer's box - he'd spun. He carried on - and spun at Foulstons! Just as he was exiting Shell on his second lap we heard Race Control request a black & white flag for him. As if in celebration, he spun again ay Foulstons...two laps later he spun yet again at Foulstons.

After a wet practice, the track was dry for the Caterham Academy race. That really caught them out - six of them ended up in the gravel trap on the entry to Shell!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2361401)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was driving the SC at Calder Park when a car pulled up at Pit Exit on fire, I was put on stand by and got told off for moving forward before being told to go but got a laugh from RC when I explained later I had to move as we were chocking on the smoke as we were parked only 4 metres down wind from the burning car.

Even worse, I wasn't allowed to get out and put the fire out which could've saved an SC deployment, which it couldn't because the driver (me) would've been fighting the fire
Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2361408)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Has to be my 5 minutes of fame as a grid "person" for Nicola Larini at the WTCC meeting at Brands Hatch, after the grid girl fainted...
Missed out there - you should have given her the kiss of life.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2361480)   #9
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just about to loosen her clothing and raise her legs in the air, when the St Johns Ambulance people arrived!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2361499)   #10
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did she faint after some of your special coffee.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2361516)   #11
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
err guys Nicola Larini is actually male, being italian the name may have confused some of you http://www.fiawtcc.com/fiawtcc/perso...prs23112.shtml sorry but that has fiven me the biggest in ages
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2361518)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland
err guys Nicola Larini is actually male, being italian the name may have confused some of you
...but then, his grid girl isn't...

...read the original post on the subject!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2361530)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
On the plus side, we have identified the studio audience for My Family.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2361536)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks
Did she faint after some of your special coffee.
No Dave,
it was my charm and good looks
Old 30 Dec 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2362547)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
On the plus side, we have identified the studio audience for My Family.
Oh my god, post of the year is here!

Ensign, that is a classic (unlike My Family)
Old 30 Dec 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2362981)   #16
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
I was just about to loosen her clothing and raise her legs in the air, when the St Johns Ambulance people arrived!
Nick,
Glad to see that you remembered that virtual "on the job" training I gave you on one of your first visits to Snet a couple of years ago, on a very sunny day with some very attractive but skimpily dressed young ladies behind us at Russell!!

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you in 09.

Best wishes,

Terry
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2363009)   #17
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell
Nick,
Glad to see that you remembered that virtual "on the job" training I gave you on one of your first visits to Snet a couple of years ago, on a very sunny day with some very attractive but skimpily dressed young ladies behind us at Russell!!

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you in 09.

Best wishes,

Terry
Terry,
There are some moments you just don't forget
Hope to see you at the track day & training day, I'll be staying in a bed & breakfast up the road.
Have a very Happy New Year.

Nick.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2363056)   #18
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just thought on, not wierd for those who know the monkey but it was for tom chilton, who found someone with the same haircut......how strange....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14543184@N05/2716843721/