Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2000, 14:09 (Ref:23483)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When asked about team orders during the Post Race Press Conference, Hakinnen twice said, "I didn't hear that" while smiling that looney grin.
Afterwards, he looked like a cat who had eaten the bird, feathers and all. So the question is, friends, "Were there 'Team Orders', and if so, did Mika ignore them?"

Some of you may think its early in the season to impose them, but DC has been the more consistent and competitive driver this season for McLaren and 10 points would have brought him within 2 of TGF.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 14:24 (Ref:23492)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote: "I didn't hear that"

Is it me, or does that imply something WAS said???
Old 16 Jul 2000, 14:46 (Ref:23498)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

That's what I think, Tristan
Old 16 Jul 2000, 19:46 (Ref:23533)   #4
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was obviously something Mika Hakkinen didn't want to go into.
Or it could be that he didn't understand the commentator's question.

Commentator: 'So there was no question of team orders there?'

Hakkinen: 'What? Sorry, I didn't hear that question ...'

I guess we will never know what Mika was pointing at.
As if we ever do!!
Old 16 Jul 2000, 19:53 (Ref:23534)   #5
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren have always said that team orders will not be imposed until it is mathematically impossible for one driver to win.

If Hakkinen had let DC through he would indeed be only 2 points behind, but if something then happened to DC (heaven forbid) that would have left Mika a long way behind Michael. If McLaren did give orders today the sensible thing would have been to tell DC not to pass Mika. Remember France 99 - Eddie had to yield to Michaels ailing car, losing a point and the potential of another point. This single action cost Ferrari the 99 Drivers title.

As it stands now, both McLaren drivers are within striking distance of Michael.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 23:51 (Ref:23571)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Mika, it seems that if you didn't hear the Team Orders SOMEONE did. Be not deceived - God is not mocked... and next time do as you are told and save Us the difficulty of removing your stolen points and saving us another Pironi v. Gilles debacle.

Short answer: There are team orders. Mika thinks he can get Ron Dennis to reverse them.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 00:09 (Ref:23578)   #7
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AH....well. It's pretty hard to take away a #1 status from a 2 time world champion. And don't forget that there are some races ahead, like suzuka, in which Mika has always performed perfectly.

I really don't believe that he ignored any team orders but I really think that Mclaren should have started giving them today.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 02:03 (Ref:23601)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren didn't give team orders last year, if at all, until the last possible moment and it will be the same this year. There is a lot of racing left and what is to say that both McLaren drivers can't overtake Schumacher in the points championship. Let them RACE and let the best RACER win.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 02:40 (Ref:23603)   #9
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prior to the race team orders where discussed in the Canadian broadcast at TSN. G. Donaldson said that team orders had been discussed by Mclaren that morning and it was suggested that the driver first into the first corner should go on to win the race. At this point DC left the meeting.
Now further to the race: congratulations to Liz, she did get MinardiFan to wave his magic wand and shunt of MS. I suggest that we award a medal to Zonta, perhaps the iron cross would be appropriate. We could even add some diamonds. When MS shunts anybody of the track it is ok, but if anybody else does it to MS he gets a 10 second penalty.
One of them fine days Liz and I will have to get together as be both live in Toronto. I'm looking forward to that meeting. Liz hope you had a good time at the Molson Indy. I would have liked it better if Tracy had finished first.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 10:19 (Ref:23658)   #10
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Throughout yesterdays race it looked like Mika Hakkinen was running the race the way he wanted to. He was in "I'll show you that I haven't lost it" mode.

Unless I am mistaken he ignored several pit boards telling him to ease off.

Then in the post race press conference we had the deaf ears to the team orders question.
Looks to me like something had been said be he chose to ignore it.

Just to throw something else into the equation, we now have the "missing seal" investigation going on. I wonder......
Old 17 Jul 2000, 10:35 (Ref:23663)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
My impression was that Mika is sick and tired of that question being asked ad infinitum. I am. There was a short interview with Ron Dennis, who confirmed that when it became obvious who was going to win, he gave orders for both cars to ease up so as to ensure victory for both. Coulthard also touched on this point during teh post race interview. There are team orders like ease up, and there are other team orders like let the other guy win. McLaren does not believe it is time to use th elatter until there is no mathematical possibility for one of the cars to win the WDC.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 11:13 (Ref:23670)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But don't forget DC was running slow too. Remember that, with about two/three laps to go he suddenly woke up and set the fastest lap. A kind of show of what he COULD do if he wanted. But he DIDN'T!!! If there were team orders DC would have breezed past Hakinnen.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 13:22 (Ref:23685)   #13
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
low downforce.....

Mika was mocking the Question!....in his head "u mean u really believe David is WDC stuff????".....
he probably even read the Question as "was David asked to lay-off and let u win for Ron's sake???"

I guess Mikas sick of the Brit press overhyping DC's chances.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 15:50 (Ref:23715)   #14
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proves what Mika said a few weeks back is true....DC is not as quick as him...

And while the DC and Mika are fighting each other, TGF wins the WDC.....