Old 18 Mar 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2418766)   #26
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Dont think he beat the crap out of Mat - got the championship wins though...
Go look at the video of Mat (on Speed) after the superbike race at Laguna last year. Take a look at the expression on his face. That is the look of someone who knows he's been beat and has nothing to respond with. I commented after that to the effect that once you beat someone straight up like that, they almost never recover. He didn't recover, as we know.

Art
Old 19 Mar 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2418971)   #27
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This post aint about ben & mat in ama & giving someone a whipping in 1 race - come on
Old 19 Mar 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2419203)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Art these guys will never take a comment about Mladin, West, Gobert, Stoner without backup!! Especially Gom!! we have to siffer thread about motocross, sidecars etc if there are Oz's involved!!

Seriously though, for me Spies and Mladin are a tough match up, but form what I ahve heard the only place they were at peace was on track!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2419391)   #29
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Dont think he beat the crap out of Mat - got the championship wins though...
True enough:

Spies – 10 Wins
Mladin – 9 Wins

Spies – 7 Wins
Mladin – 12 Wins

Spies – 10 Wins
Mladin – 8 Wins

Total
Spies – 27 Wins
Mladin – 29 Wins

I think both riders are top class, but to say Mladin had no answer? They both had their moments. Unfortunately for the show, they didn't go head to head that often. Usually one or the other set off into the distance. I agree, the 2007 Laguna win was a defining moment for Spies. I would also say Road Atlanta last year. But Mladin out paced Spies on numerous occassions and is what, 12 years older...
Old 19 Mar 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2419442)   #30
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Ten Kate stated that they are not running '09 bikes yet...!
Still, Checa seems to be strangely anonymous, to me anyway.

I don't quite get the whole 'lets wait till we get to Europe thing' coming from various commentators with regards to Spies. How much proof of his talent and speed is required? Presumably, if he wins in Europe, the next line will be lets wait till he gets into motor GP, then it would be lets wait till he wins the MotoGP championship...

Anyway, I wonder what Nori makes of this year's R1.

I have a feeling Nori cannot afford a single DNF this season with Spies around especially if he keeps finishing like he is now. Its going to be tight, Nori's saving grace/advantage may be intimate circuit knowledge of the European tracks or more horses from his bike.

Jakob Smrz may win a race this season, what do you think?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2419725)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I somehow doubt that Spies will loae any time anywhere.

I think people are also under ratin how good that R1 is, wait and see in other championships before we really admit that Spies is the next Rossi!!

Ben did not know Qatar and it didnt hurt him one little bit, so I cant imagien the otehr trakcs will hold any fear.

Maybe he wont win every race but he will podium everywhere I feel, just look at Sykes too, he is going very well.

As for Smrz, that guy couldnt win a race if they all dropped after a lap, one lap rodder!! Always has been in WSBK
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2419755)   #32
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Still, Checa seems to be strangely anonymous, to me anyway.
I believe the 2009 bike comment only applies to the supersport machines. At least that was the context.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2420589)   #33
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Art these guys will never take a comment about Mladin, West, Gobert, Stoner without backup!! Especially Gom!! we have to siffer thread about motocross, sidecars etc if there are Oz's involved!!
Sidecars - please explain?

No probs with Art - how long til he works you out though
Old 23 Mar 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2423079)   #34
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
Quote:
True enough:

Spies – 10 Wins
Mladin – 9 Wins

Spies – 7 Wins
Mladin – 12 Wins

Spies – 10 Wins
Mladin – 8 Wins

Total
Spies – 27 Wins
Mladin – 29 Wins

I think both riders are top class, but to say Mladin had no answer? They both had their moments. Unfortunately for the show, they didn't go head to head that often. Usually one or the other set off into the distance. I agree, the 2007 Laguna win was a defining moment for Spies. I would also say Road Atlanta last year. But Mladin out paced Spies on numerous occassions and is what, 12 years older...
You've missed the point of my post. As you know racing is very fluid. At Laguna in 2008, Ben had broken through. At that point, Mat, great as he is, didn't have an answer. He'd put out his entire effort, and Ben came from behind and beat him. At that point in their career, Ben had outgrown Mat. Was he a better talent, or had time finally gotten to Mat. Who knows, and at this point who cares? From that point on, Mat never was able to deal with him one on one on the track. If you look at the video and pictures, Mat knew it. That was my point. However, there isn't anyone in the US that can deal with Mat so he looks to win it again this year, now that Ben is gone.

Art
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2423100)   #35
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Fair point & it seems that that day had to come as it does with the rise & fall of most careers - Ben has timed it brilliantly as to when to race outside the US...
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2423137)   #36
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
You've missed the point of my post. As you know racing is very fluid. At Laguna in 2008, Ben had broken through. At that point, Mat, great as he is, didn't have an answer. He'd put out his entire effort, and Ben came from behind and beat him. At that point in their career, Ben had outgrown Mat. Was he a better talent, or had time finally gotten to Mat. Who knows, and at this point who cares? From that point on, Mat never was able to deal with him one on one on the track. If you look at the video and pictures, Mat knew it. That was my point. However, there isn't anyone in the US that can deal with Mat so he looks to win it again this year, now that Ben is gone.

Art
Fair point, but the Laguna triumph was the last race of 2007 (not '08). And Mladin came back in 2008 and still won a bunch of races. So it would seem he got over it and was able to get back to winning. And like I said before, they rarely raced head to head anyways. But as you say, Ben gained the edge in that department.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2423142)   #37
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
Quote:
Fair point, but the Laguna triumph was the last race of 2007 (not '08). And Mladin came back in 2008 and still won a bunch of races. So it would seem he got over it and was able to get back to winning. And like I said before, they rarely raced head to head anyways. But as you say, Ben gained the edge in that department.
You're right, but remember, Ben was racing sick or hurt for the early part of the season. When he got better, he didn't lose again to Mat.

Art
Old 23 Mar 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2423167)   #38
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
You're right, but remember, Ben was racing sick or hurt for the early part of the season. When he got better, he didn't lose again to Mat.

Art
Quite true, well except for the last race at Laguna.

But Spies is the real deal for sure. I'm very happy to see him on the world stage.

Tags
qatar, wsbk